• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do you crack slabs for books staying in your PC?
3 3

56 posts in this topic

Sometimes I get the itch…they look so much better in some Mylar…

Most of my ASM books are raw.  I have two slabbed (14 and 3).  It bothers me.  I want to release them to be with their ASM brothers.

But cracking books is stressful.  

This is a first world problem.

On 2/15/2022 at 11:50 PM, VintageComics said:

Yes. Almost all of them except the most expensive ones were always cracked out. 

And I actually would open them up and flip through them. 

Even my most expensive ones. :cloud9:

It's a great tool for buying and selling, but if it's something you plan to never sell, set that baby free!

On 2/16/2022 at 10:18 AM, musicmeta said:

I've never cracked one out.   I'm afraid I'll damage my 'Tec 27 9.8 blue label.  I'm afraid I'll damage the books so in the slabs they stay for now.  I don't mind. 

I've never cracked one out but I've definitely cracked one off.                           :jokealert:

On 2/16/2022 at 9:56 AM, D84 said:

Even my most expensive ones. :cloud9:

It's a great tool for buying and selling, but if it's something you plan to never sell, set that baby free!

I just didn't want to have to pay for the regrading cost of any BIG books and wanted to keep them liquid in case of an emergency, otherwise I'd have cracked them all,

On 2/16/2022 at 3:34 PM, VintageComics said:

I just didn't want to have to pay for the regrading cost of any BIG books and wanted to keep them liquid in case of an emergency, otherwise I'd have cracked them all,

That's a fair point.

I've got other assets/investments for emergency liquidity, but I know not everyone is in that position.

On 2/17/2022 at 9:41 AM, JJ-4 said:

There is just something about holding the book in your hands.  Feel, smell, and well actually being able to read the book.  Probably the difference between being a comic collector and a comic investor (yes, you can be both but this is just a general rule).

I can get a lower grade copy for that though. If I'm buying a slab, I'm generally trying to get the highest grade I can afford.

Personally, I don’t crack books.  Yes, I would love to read/handle my copy of AF 15.  But, I have read reprints.  I have read a ton of other “big books” in all their raw glory, Hulk 1, Showcase 4 etc.  

I don’t see the point that if it’s already CGC graded, why I’d crack it.  I wouldn’t want to spend the extra coin to get something re-graded, like my AF 15.

On 2/17/2022 at 10:41 AM, JJ-4 said:

There is just something about holding the book in your hands.  Feel, smell, and well actually being able to read the book.  Probably the difference between being a comic collector and a comic investor (yes, you can be both but this is just a general rule).

They're books, and were created to be read and enjoyed. I have very few books in slabs, except for a few that I'm ambivalent about.

Virtually all the books that are classic, vintage, noteworthy have been reprinted in some form or another. So, I buy the original, keep it slabbed and read the reprints. If I buy graded and slabbed, it's because I wanted the book that way. Retired and protected. There are plenty of books like that which are raw and easy to find in decent shape. It doesn't make sense (to me at least) to buy an already slabbed book just to "liberate" it and then "flip" through it or read it. I wouldn't bust out an SS book for certain.