• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2022 CGC Grading Contest Season 1 Winter Edition (#1) Final Round
6 6

115 posts in this topic

On 2/20/2022 at 9:27 PM, CGC Mike said:

1.  @Squirrel Guy  11 points

2.  @Motor City Rob 14 points

3.  @zzutak  18 points  9 bullseyes

4.  @pastandpresentcomics  18 points  8 bullseyes  most books off by 1 grade 8

5.  @Timmay  18 points  8 bullseyes  most books off by 1 grade 7

6.  @jbpez  18 points  6 bullseyes

7.  @HighStakesComics  20 points  6 bullseyes

8.  @Frederic9494  20 points  5 bullseyes

9.  @Wipple  21 points

10.  @zoso99  25 points

Congrats to Squirrel guy! 

Thanks to @CGC Mike& to everyone who participated!

It was lots of fun! 

• Administrator

Thanks for the kind words,  all.  Look for the spring edition in a few months.  I have the prize thread all set up with the list and just a few instructions on page 3.  @Squirrel Guy can start it off.  Here is the thread.

What would be interesting would be to see the range and distribution of responses--whether the majority of people over-graded or under-graded or if there were pretty normal distributions of misses around the correct answers.

I'm curious because in my less-than-a-week's experience in this grading forum, I feel like people tend to err on the side of caution in grading pretty harshly--so I would expect to see more under-grades than over-grades among the overall population of participants.

And if that's not what the data shows, then my experience has simply been too limited.

Edited by Axe Elf

On 2/20/2022 at 8:28 PM, Axe Elf said:

What would be interesting would be to see the range and std dev of responses--whether the majority of people over-graded or under-graded or if there were pretty normal distributions of misses around the correct answers.

I'm curious because in my less-than-a-week's experience in this grading forum, I feel like people tend to err on the side of caution in grading pretty harshly--so I would expect to see more under-grades than over-grades among the overall population of participants.

And if that's not what the data shows, then my experience has simply been too limited.

Check out the results from the precious rounds. Find them on PGM.

@zzutakdid an excellent job graphing the spread.

On 2/20/2022 at 9:29 PM, grendelbo said:

Check out the results from the precious rounds. Find them on PGM.

Cool, but newbie me doesn't know where that might be...

You wouldn't happen to have a link, would you?

On 2/20/2022 at 8:32 PM, Axe Elf said:

Cool, but newbie me doesn't know where that might be...

You wouldn't happen to have a link, would you?

Here's one.

On 2/20/2022 at 6:27 PM, CGC Mike said:

1.  @Squirrel Guy  11 points

2.  @Motor City Rob 14 points

3.  @zzutak  18 points  9 bullseyes

4.  @pastandpresentcomics  18 points  8 bullseyes  most books off by 1 grade 8

5.  @Timmay  18 points  8 bullseyes  most books off by 1 grade 7

6.  @jbpez  18 points  6 bullseyes

7.  @HighStakesComics  20 points  6 bullseyes

8.  @Frederic9494  20 points  5 bullseyes

9.  @Wipple  21 points

10.  @zoso99  25 points

looks like in future contests ya better shoot for 5 points per round boys.  3 points per round or less to win.

On 2/20/2022 at 9:41 PM, Squirrel Guy said:

Thanks so much everyone. Thanks @CGC Mike, I imagine this has been a lot of work and time. Much appreciated. It is my first contest and I am very happy that I got to participate. I am surprised with my own results. I have been handling, selling and grading my own comics on a small level on and off for over 30 years (since I was 13). Back when I was collecting McFarlane Spidermans off of the rack. Very excited, towards the end it was getting a bit stressful. That Atom #1 with the stains was really giving me a hard time. My wife is suggesting we move to Florida and I could get a job grading at CGC and she could go to Disney and the Beach while I'm at work lol.

^^

On 2/20/2022 at 10:41 PM, Squirrel Guy said:

Thanks so much everyone. Thanks @CGC Mike, I imagine this has been a lot of work and time. Much appreciated. It is my first contest and I am very happy that I got to participate. I am surprised with my own results. I have been handling, selling and grading my own comics on a small level on and off for over 30 years (since I was 13). Back when I was collecting McFarlane Spidermans off of the rack. Very excited, towards the end it was getting a bit stressful. That Atom #1 with the stains was really giving me a hard time. My wife is suggesting we move to Florida and I could get a job grading at CGC and she could go to Disney and the Beach while I'm at work lol.

Congratulations! ^^

:golfclap:

On 2/20/2022 at 8:41 PM, Squirrel Guy said:

I'm sure CGC would love to have you on board.

On 2/20/2022 at 9:36 PM, grendelbo said:

Here's one.

Perfect!  So yeah, this data bears out what I was saying about the majority of participants that I would expect would under-grade the comics.

2025 total grades recorded.

416 (20.54%) were bullseyes.

667 (32.94%) were over-grades.

942 (46.52%) were under-grades.

So people are under-grading almost half the time.

15 total comics graded; in 10 of them the majority of participants under-graded the comic.

Of the 5 comics that the majority over-graded, 3 of them had a correct grade of 5.0 or less--so I guess people tend to be more generous with the lower grades.

On the other hand, the greatest disparity between under-grades (111) and over-grades (11) was observed in a comic with a correct grade of 3.0, while the greatest disparity between over-grades (93) and under-grades (26) was observed in a comic with a correct grade of 9.2.  That suggests that people are extra-hard on the lowest grades and extra-lenient on the NM grades.

So I guess the lesson is be aware of your biases!  In general, you're all being too conservative--but the more extreme grades seem to bring out the worst in everyone.  :)

Thus ends the lesson...

On 2/20/2022 at 11:35 PM, Axe Elf said:

So I guess the lesson is be aware of your biases!  In general, you're all being too conservative--but the more extreme grades seem to bring out the worst in everyone.  :)

Thus ends the lesson...

It's really not that large of a sample to draw conclusions. Were the better scores missing lower as much as the bottom scores.

The larger the sample size, the more that it will probably just look like a big probability curve.

I kept track of my grades, and I missed over as much as I missed under.

The only 2 times that I missed badly, by 3 grades, ( 11 bullseyes, 4 by one grade, and 3 by 2 grade not included) both times I missed under.

Well, thanks to that fake crease on UF 4.