• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GRADE IS IN: Authentic Police Cases 16 - Matt Baker goodness
2 2

21 posts in this topic

Really nice comic. 

Super tiny corner piece missing from the lower right and upper right. 

Some light penciling  (looks like a name was lightly drawn)

What looks like staining on the back cover is NOT staining but normal paper discoloring that you see in this age of comic.   

IMG_9880.jpeg

IMG_9881.jpeg

Edited by gadzukes

On 2/16/2022 at 9:03 PM, gadzukes said:

I've had many comics from this era with the same type of strange paper color effect.  It's more common than you would think.

Totally. It's sometimes called transfer staining, correct?

On 2/16/2022 at 9:37 PM, misterrmystery said:

It looks like maybe the corners were bent and pressed out, or touched with white out, but tough to guess from a scan. 

I know they look weird but the corners are physically fine.  no bends, creases, and certainly no white out.  

Agreed. It looks like your basic transfer staining to me, albeit maybe with a slightly harder 'edge' between the white and the dusky yellow than we're used to seeing.

On 2/16/2022 at 10:03 PM, gadzukes said:

Transfer Staining?..... I know it looks like a stain, but I think it's just an uneven tanning of the low quality paper

Yeah, I don't entirely know why they call it that... or possibly I'm conflating it with something else. But I'm agreeing with you! Not "staining" per se. I'm fairly certain I've seen higher-grade 50s books in slabs that had it on their back covers.

On 2/16/2022 at 10:12 PM, Point Five said:

Yeah, I don't entirely know why they call it that... or possibly I'm conflating it with something else. But I'm agreeing with you! Not "staining" per se. I'm fairly certain I've seen higher-grade 50s books in slabs that had it on their back covers.

YES!  I had a Dizzy Dames 1 CGC 9.0 and a Skeleton Hand 1 CGC 9.0 with the exact same thing.  Those are both from 1952. This one is from 1951..... maybe something in the paper they were using those years

Edited by gadzukes

On 2/16/2022 at 10:23 PM, gadzukes said:

YES!  I had a Dizzy Dames 1 CGC 9.0 and a Skeleton Hand 1 CGC 9.0 with the exact same thing.  Those are both from 1952. This one is from 1951..... maybe something in the paper they were using those years

Cool! I was able to dig this scan up... here's the back cover of a Mystic #6 (Atlas) I used to own. (From 1952! It was a magical year for transfer staining.) 

You can see the pattern at the bottom corners is almost identical to your APC #16. I feel like for some reason I've seen this on Atlas books more than other companies'. No idea why, but sure, could be something about the stock (or the gloss, or inks...) that was prone to 'transferring' from one cover to the next.

mystic6back.thumb.jpg.de599bfdcee7957bf10576b87d72018f.jpg

On 2/16/2022 at 10:30 PM, Point Five said:

Cool! I was able to dig this scan up... here's the back cover of a Mystic #6 (Atlas) I used to own. (From 1952! It was a magical year for transfer staining.) 

You can see the pattern at the bottom corners is almost identical to your APC #16. I feel like for some reason I've seen this on Atlas books more than other companies'. No idea why, but sure, could be something about the stock (or the gloss, or inks...) that was prone to 'transferring' from one cover to the next.

mystic6back.thumb.jpg.de599bfdcee7957bf10576b87d72018f.jpg

Here's the back cover to Skeleton Hand 1 (1952)

Lower left corner.... not as prominent, but it's there.  Lower right corner has a little too.

For some reason it stays lighter on the corners.

IMG_9894.jpeg

Edited by gadzukes