• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Amazing Spider-Man 123
3 3

11 posts in this topic

Slightly Blunted/Rounded Corners, Crease W/Color Break at Lower Right Corner, Slight Color Rub (To the right of Power Man's left shoe), A Few Slight Spine Ticks W/Color Break, Some Staining/Foxing on Rear Cover, Edge Wear/Creasing/Scratches on Rear Cover, Damage to the Lower Right Corner of the Rear Cover (Tear/Wrinkles/Pieces Missing).

The Blue ink appears to be "Distributor Stripes".

DISTRIBUTOR STRIPES
Color brushed or sprayed on the edges of comic book stacks by the distributor/wholesaler to code them for expedient exchange at the sales racks. Typical colors are red, orange, yellow, green, blue, and purple. Distributor stripes are not a defect.

The back cover damage IMO really brings down the grade of this book, IMO, grade on this book is...

6.5 FINE+ (FN+):  Back to Top
Fits the criteria for Fine but with an additional virtue or small accumulation of virtues that improves the book's appearance by a perceptible amount.

6.0 FINE (FN):  Back to Top
An above-average copy that shows minor wear but is still relatively flat and clean with no significant creasing or other serious defects. Some accumulation of minor bindery/printing defects is allowed. Minor cover wear apparent, with minor to moderate creases. Inks show a significant reduction in reflectivity. Blunted corners are more common, as is minor staining, soiling, discoloration, and/or foxing. Stamped or inked arrival dates may be present. A minor spine roll is allowed. There can also be a 1/4" spine split or severe color break. Staples may show minor discoloration. Minor staple tears and a few slight stress lines may be present, as well as minor rust migration. Paper is tan to brown and fairly supple with no signs of brittleness. Minor interior tears at the margin may be present. Centerfold may be loose.

I’m in the 6.0 group … the distributor ink doesn’t really seem to me to come into play on these mid grade books. On the really high grades it may or may not be a factor. I’m still trying to figure this out. I think it all has to do with how much and where it is.. one of those things that could be subjective with the grader 

Edited by Februus

On 2/18/2022 at 7:07 AM, ComicSpa said:

I appreciate the feedback. I also wasn’t sure how much the the ink was going to affect any book. Is it in the same category as date stamping and such….

I don't think so, unless the date stamping was done by the manufacturer. Essentially, if there is a defect on the book by the manufacturer, then you won't docked for it. Unless its like an error Spawn #1 or something.