• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Silver Surfer #1
1 1

6 posts in this topic

On 2/17/2022 at 6:42 PM, Joy Wicker said:

I want my Silver Surfer #1 graded and pre 1975 I know is more but when you're looking at guidelines for value, which tier do I use? As far as value, how do I know before it gets graded?

General rule of thumb is "how much is the book reasonably worth to you?"  As in, if you had to file an insurance claim to recover the book and go out and buy a book of similar grade/value, how much is that?  Most likely it's Standard, but anything F+ and higher will probably be better off with Express (or maybe even Walkthrough). 

Step 1:  Get a rough idea of the grade - understandably, you may not consider yourself to be great at grading.  There is a subforum here on these chat rooms where you can post pics of your comic and solicit the opinions of internet strangers.  If you get enough respondents, you'll get a pretty good idea.  its called "hey buddy can you spare a grade".  Check the rules before posting, and check out a few other posts just to get idea what the best way of going about things is.

Step 2: Get a rough idea of what you would think your comic should be insured for in the event of total loss, based on the probable grade.  You can use 'sold' ebay listings or some other comic price guide (preferably that uses recent sales) to get an idea.

Its not a perfect science, but if you do the above and value it in good faith, there is rarely an issue.