• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sanding off logo on a blank cover for a commission
1 1

3 posts in this topic

Hi, 

I was reading about commissions an artist I really would like to have one done by and they stated they could sand off the logo to create more space for the commission.  Would this cause a decrease in the grading?  I probably would ask them to do it(sand off the logo) anyways so it gives them more to work with but I figure I should ask so I have a better idea of what to expect.

Thanks

That sounds like an "official" CGC grading question. 

Let's face it, prior to the CGC SS, Overstreet indicated any writing on a comic would lessen the grade.  But CGC says a witnessed signature does not lessen the grade.  Supposedly if an artist draws on a comic, that doesn't lessen the grade.  But if the artist dings a corner, it does.  So much for artistic freedom. 

If the logo is sanded off, would CGC even notice ?  They would only know if they were comparing your comic to another copy of the comic.  Also, there are lots of sketch covers where the artist drew over the logo.  Maybe the artist can cover the entire comic with gesso (essentially white paint) ?