• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM my Kid Colt 60.....
2 2

13 posts in this topic

On 2/18/2022 at 1:14 PM, WPGJet said:

Sell raw or get it cleaned and pressed and submit?

Rather than offer my opinion, it may be most instructive to ask you a question: How much do you think it will cost to have this book cleaned/pressed and then certified?  Feel free to take as much time as you need to do the necessary research.  Don't forget to include the cost of shipping, return shipping, insurance, etc.  :foryou:  :hi:

On 2/18/2022 at 3:53 PM, zzutak said:

Rather than offer my opinion, it may be most instructive to ask you a question: How much do you think it will cost to have this book cleaned/pressed and then certified?  Feel free to take as much time as you need to do the necessary research.  Don't forget to include the cost of shipping, return shipping, insurance, etc.  :foryou:  :hi:

On 2/18/2022 at 4:14 PM, WPGJet said:

Hey ZZ, if you don't want to post a grade, them move on. Please don't patronize me. 

It does bring up a point of interest to a newbie such as myself.  I have wondered at what point it becomes financially profitable to go to all the trouble of cleaning/pressing, certifying, slabbing, etc., and at what point the formal process becomes untenable from a cost perspective.  I know it depends on the condition and demand for the comic, of course, but maybe @zzutak could offer ME some guidance on what those costs run?  That would give me an idea of the value/cost ratio of "processing" comics.

You could even PM me if you don't want to hijack the thread, or direct me to a thread where this topic might have already been discussed...?

Oh, and a grade for @WPGJet; I'd say a 2.5 G+ to 3.0 G/VG.

Edited by Axe Elf

On 2/18/2022 at 10:22 PM, Februus said:

I’m gonna say 3.0. The question to get a book professionally graded and encapsulated is determined on a book by book basis and the owners wants and needs.. the answer is often nebulous 

I understand that, but my expectation would be that the COST of a clean and press, a professional grading, or a slabbing would be relatively constant across all books.

Do the costs of these processes vary on a book by book basis as well?  If so, then I guess my question really has no answer, but if not, then that would be the kind of information that would be useful in determining if a given book is worth the investment.

We are a little off topic here but yes the cost of grading is dependent on the value of the book because it has to be insured - also the more expensive books turn around faster.. these are other considerations you have to decide. Cleaning and pressing is a separate cost you don’t have to do it. It’s not associated with the grading\encapsulating process. 

Edited by Februus

On 2/18/2022 at 10:35 PM, Februus said:

We are a little off topic here but yes the cost of grading is dependent on the value of the book because it has to be insured - also the more expensive books turn around faster.. these are other considerations you have to decide. Cleaning and pressing is a separate cost you don’t have to do it. It’s not associated with the grading\encapsulating process. 

Thank you, that does provide some perspective.

And sorry for the hijack.

On 2/18/2022 at 8:53 PM, Axe Elf said:

Thank you, that does provide some perspective.

And sorry for the hijack.

No worries, just look at the tiers of grading offered on the website and associated cost. They have a cleaning and pressing company they use and there is a cost structure for that as well.. that was my point earlier there are a lot of determinations that have to be made as to weather the investment is worth it