• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM EERIE #2
3 3

16 posts in this topic

Ok, my turn.  This is basically a question to help educate myself on the effect of a major defect in grading an otherwise pretty nice issue.

I think this copy of the first widely-distributed issue of EERIE looks pretty nice--but it has two fairly major defects.

1435320695_EERIE2FrontCover.thumb.jpg.fbe14be3c80889d986a90a24873f49d4.jpg

1510687384_EERIE2Spine.thumb.jpg.dfdaf94827741d3e0725a41ba75faaaa.jpg

1451344071_EERIE2Edge.thumb.jpg.6a3a560ce7042bb11e4c58a04ef26188.jpg

1924972909_EERIE2Pages.thumb.jpg.6c06c16c195536cc7a9f8c2c953d4d42.jpg

I don't know if there was a shadow or what, but the pages look more off-whitish (like the right side) than yellowish (like the left side) in person.

532937860_EERIE2BackCover.thumb.jpg.aa92d5a8c489b7a29876ca6f1671e363.jpg

Anyway, and it probably looks worse in person than it does on the scan, but the first major defect is that there are a lot of horizontal scuff marks on the back cover, about 3/8" apart, most noticeable in the lower left quadrant of the back cover.

But most damning would be the 1/4" tear that goes all the way through the right edge of the book about halfway down:

1640388588_EERIE3Cut.thumb.jpg.a5373332c9fc5cd39c445caaa27dacaf.jpg

I really don't know how to take that into account.  The book looks pretty 5.5ish to me overall, maybe even a 6.0 without the tear and the scuffs), but how much does something like that affect the overall grade... maybe a 4.5 to 5.0?

Parenthetically, the seller graded it as a 4.0 VG, but that seems pretty harsh--I just don't know how much that tear affects things.  You don't really "see" the tear looking straight on at the front cover, but the fact that it IS torn all the way through the book can't be good.

Any thoughts/education would be appreciated.

On 2/18/2022 at 8:19 PM, JohnT said:

4.0 seems about right to me.  I think the driving factor is the extensive color rubbing.  The tear just kind of locks it in and keeps it from being a little higher.

I appreciate the input.  Just seems sad when the corners and edges look so sharp.

4.0/4.5

Thanks for posting.

On 2/18/2022 at 8:10 PM, oakman29 said:

Was a regular piece of cardboard used for a backing board? That's what it looks like on the back.

Great observation.

4.0 to 5.0 the seller was just covering himself and didn’t want to give a false representation - I like it when they grade on the low end. The tear is what really hurts because it’s all the pages.. consider it a 4.0 as advertised and maybe you will be pleasantly surprised 

On 2/18/2022 at 9:10 PM, oakman29 said:

Was a regular piece of cardboard used for a backing board?

I really don't know, but that sounds reasonable.  This book came in a large lot of mid-low grade EERIEs, and I kind of have the impression that the seller got them at a garage sale and bagged and boarded them all before shipping just to make them look nice.  On the plus side, he does seem to be very conservative with his grading, as noted in the comments people have made on this item.  There are several others that I think could go at least one grade higher, so I appreciate that he didn't overrepresent them--but then, as I've said before, I knew nothing about grading comics two weeks ago, so it may just be me.  Maybe I'll ask the board's opinion on a few more of them, over time.

The bottom line is that I really don't care if a particular book is a 4.0 or a 4.5 or whatever, because I don't plan to resell them--I just wanted to get all the issues of EERIE so I could read them.  :)  Learning how to grade them is just part of the fun for me.

On 2/18/2022 at 10:13 PM, oakman29 said:

You like Warren horror mags? Check out my journals.

I wouldn't know where to find them.

As I said in my intro post (in the "EERIE 23 Club" thread), I'm not really a "collector," I just liked CREEPY and EERIE magazine when I was a teenager, and I recently decided to see if I could get them all.  I wasn't into Vampirella much, and the only other Warren publication that would probably interest me would be The Rook.  So I'm not really interested in ALL the Warren books, just the ones that had a place in my childhood.

Edited by Axe Elf

On 2/18/2022 at 10:31 PM, oakman29 said:

Here are my journals .

Ah, yes, you are clearly more of a collector than I am; it looks like all your CREEPYs and EERIEs are high grade keepsakes.  Looks like a beautiful collection.

I just want to read them.  :)

Parenthetically, have you seen that huge near-full-run lot of CREEPYs on eBay (including another 9.0 slabbed #1)?  They want $3200 for 136 issues, pricing each book at just under $25 each.  He lists a lot of "VF/NM" and "NM" grades, so if that's accurate, it might be worth it--and it could maybe give your collection a run for its money--but I don't think the wife would be ok with me going after all the CREEPYs right now, after spending about half that to reel in the full run of EERIEs in the last few weeks.

On 2/18/2022 at 8:51 PM, Axe Elf said:

Ah, yes, you are clearly more of a collector than I am; it looks like all your CREEPYs and EERIEs are high grade keepsakes.  Looks like a beautiful collection.

I just want to read them.  :)

Parenthetically, have you seen that huge near-full-run lot of CREEPYs on eBay (including another 9.0 slabbed #1)?  They want $3200 for 136 issues, pricing each book at just under $25 each.  He lists a lot of "VF/NM" and "NM" grades, so if that's accurate, it might be worth it--and it could maybe give your collection a run for its money--but I don't think the wife would be ok with me going after all the CREEPYs right now, after spending about half that to reel in the full run of EERIEs in the last few weeks.

Nothing wrong with collecting runs one book at a time, no?  I'm wouldnt buy books in completed lots, it's just no fun building the run to completion on your own.

On 2/18/2022 at 10:55 PM, oakman29 said:

Nothing wrong with collecting runs one book at a time, no?  I'm wouldnt buy books in completed lots, it's just no fun building the run to completion on your own.

Eh, I only want to get readable copies as cheaply as possible.  Not just any old trash 1.5 copies, necessarily, but you know, respectable 4.0-6.0 type books.  If I can get a bunch at once and save on shipping, so much the better.

On 2/18/2022 at 8:59 PM, Axe Elf said:

Eh, I only want to get readable copies as cheaply as possible.  Not just any old trash 1.5 copies, necessarily, but you know, respectable 4.0-6.0 type books.  If I can get a bunch at once and save on shipping, so much the better.

Touche'

On 2/18/2022 at 10:55 PM, Axe Elf said:

The bottom line is that I really don't care if a particular book is a 4.0 or a 4.5 or whatever, because I don't plan to resell them--I just wanted to get all the issues of EERIE so I could read them.  :)  Learning how to grade them is just part of the fun for me.

From what I can see, VG seems like a reasonable grade for this book.

(And just so you know, that's the first time I can remember anyone using the word parenthetically in a sentence!)  lol 

Edited by The Lions Den