• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who are the trusted names in pressing?
4 4

7 posts in this topic

I put together a very good collection about 30 years ago. Silver Age Marvels. I sold some books around 2009 and I sold some more about 6 years ago when I got married. But I still have a pretty nice collection – just absent most of the big #1s right now. But I still have stuff like Strange Tales #110 and all my Spidey and FFs outside of the top 10 and other “rising keys” like Avengers #8, etc. I would say a majority of my books will come out between Fine and Very Fine when graded.

Pressing was fairly new to me when I sold some books 6 years ago. I did have a couple pressed by CGC (including my DD #1). Most of my remaining books are raw. I’m concerned about sending high-value books to a third-party pressing company (as opposed to CGC) because I have not been active on the forum/in the hobby and I don’t know if these entities are trustworthy. But from the little I have read some of them seem to be able to do a little more (or are willing to) than CGC when it comes to pressing. That’s the impression I have, anyway. Maybe that’s the wrong impression.

These other companies also don’t seem to have TATs as long as CGC’s.

I think I’m beginning to answer my own question here and that I should simply send my raw pressing candidates into CGC for both pressing and grading.

Regardless, I would like to know the reputation and quality of service of these 3rd-party pressing companies (as well as a list of them, I suppose).

Thanks in advance, guys.

Tom

Unfortunately, because this board is sponsored and provided by CGC, they discourage listing other vendors that compete with services that they provide.  Having said that, if you read around the boards and this forum in particular, you can probably sort out who provides that service and does it best.  

Here's a thread talking about the subject.

On 2/19/2022 at 7:40 PM, Randall Dowling said:

Unfortunately, because this board is sponsored and provided by CGC, they discourage listing other vendors that compete with services that they provide.  Having said that, if you read around the boards and this forum in particular, you can probably sort out who provides that service and does it best.  

Here's a thread talking about the subject.

So you're a mod now?  

While it is frowned upon to promote any competitors, the mere mentioning of them is kind of in a grey area as far as acceptability. If I tell you that Hertz is an option to rent a car, am I promoting them?

Also, and this is a simply an observation by me, feel free to offer a differing observation, it seems like vast majority of time I hear anything about CCS, it's negative. On the other hand, when the more popular pressers that frequent these boards are mentioned, it's positive.

On 2/19/2022 at 8:34 AM, SuperTom said:

These other companies also don’t seem to have TATs as long as CGC’s.

As long? Maybe not, but every reputable presser that I know of has had a significant increase in demand over the past year or so.

On 2/20/2022 at 11:29 AM, Kevin76 said:

So you're a mod now?  

???

On 2/21/2022 at 8:31 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

As long? Maybe not, but every reputable presser that I know of has had a significant increase in demand over the past year or so.

I know the TAT is lengthy no matter where you go.

I was just saying that the other pressers TATs don't seem quite as long as CGC's, but maybe they are.

I'm most concerned about sending $1000 + raw books off to a presser I don't know and have no prior relationship with. I have more confidence in CGC/CSS in that circumstance.