• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Eternals #1
2 2

9 posts in this topic

The only issue I see with this book (other than the inside front cover) are a couple of tiny dents on the spine without color break.

Without the inside front cover issue the book is certainly in the NM- 9.2 to NM 9.4 range.

The issue with the inside front cover is puzzling, it appears that some of the ink has slightly stained the splash page but it does not appear to bleed through the cover, did it bleed through to other interior pages? 

Honestly I do not know how to address that issue since it is a hidden defect, how much will that drop the grade, does it still get a Blue Label?

If I were grading this book for my collection I would drop the grade to a VF+ 8.5 to VF/NM 9.0 with a notation about the cover.

Waiting to see what the experts think.

Perhaps the inks on the inside front cover were not 100% dry when the cover was attached to the interior?  It would be useful to know if this is also observed on the inside back cover and/or with other copies of this issue.  If this anomaly is unique to this single copy, the underlying cause will also be unique to this single copy.  (thumbsu

Just the interior cover is the only area affected. I have seen this to a lesser degree when a backer board is placed on the inside cover to heat and press. I won’t press this as I don’t want to mess with the book.I had it at a 9.2-9.4 as well with a drop to maybe 9.0-8.5. 

On 2/19/2022 at 10:07 AM, Andrew Hahn said:

Just the interior cover is the only area affected. I have seen this to a lesser degree when a backer board is placed on the inside cover to heat and press. I won’t press this as I don’t want to mess with the book.I had it at a 9.2-9.4 as well with a drop to maybe 9.0-8.5. 

You think it may have been previously pressed?

On 2/19/2022 at 12:22 PM, grendelbo said:

You think it may have been previously pressed?

I do. If you look at the back cover spine area you can see a light vertical line running the length of the book. It’s very light so the picture doesn’t pick it up well but to me it says that something not very thick was placed there as well.

On 2/19/2022 at 9:48 AM, zzutak said:

Perhaps the inks on the inside front cover were not 100% dry when the cover was attached to the interior?  It would be useful to know if this is also observed on the inside back cover and/or with other copies of this issue.  If this anomaly is unique to this single copy, the underlying cause will also be unique to this single copy.  (thumbsu

My thought as well…about wet ink transfer.