• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Toho's GODZILLA MINUS ONE directed by Takashi Yamazaki (12/1/23)
6 6

233 posts in this topic

On 9/21/2023 at 8:57 PM, SuperBat5000 said:

seems unfortunate that they make Godzilla a bad guy again

it's interesting to me that as a life long Godzilla fan, I've never looked at him as being bad (I know recently they've tried to make him good)

I always looked at him as a creature doing what comes naturally

curious to see if this throws people off

UK-Ireland release date news

Godzilla Minus One, the latest installment in Toho’s long-running mega-monster franchise and the Tokyo International Film Festival’s closing title, has locked down distribution in the U.K. and Ireland. Glasgow-based distributor Anime Ltd. has picked up the action movie for a Dec. 15 release.

Anime Ltd. plans to open the film at 200 to 250 locations, which makes it the company’s biggest live-action release to date. This year marks the 70th anniversary of the Godzilla franchise and Godzilla Minus One is the first fully Japanese-made film in the series since 2016.

Back to the Biggest and Baddest of them all. Death and Destruction personified.  

Not Our Friend - if only we understood it better. Not capable of understanding sign language from a little 10 year old girl. 

Feels like a slow motion pivot is going on out there.

Godzilla Minus One Breaks Box Office Records With Japanese Opening

There is no denying the power of Godzilla. For decades now, the monster has dominated the big screen, and his reputation is only growing. While the world waits on the next MonsterVerse flick, Japan is stepping up with its own Godzilla movie, and it seems like Godzilla Minus One is absolutely crushing the box office.

The update comes courtesy of Toho Company as the distributor confirmed the opening box office total for Godzilla Minus One. It was there fans learned the movie raked in nearly $7 million USD in its first three days. With 640,000 tickets sold, Godzilla Minus One outsold Shin Godzilla's opening circa 2016.

And if you look at Godzilla as a whole, well – this new movie opening becomes even more impressive. Godzilla Minus One earned $3 million on its opening day alone. This total marks the biggest opening day for any Godzilla film to date including the MonsterVerse. The opening of Godzilla Minus One was 3x higher than the opening of Godzilla vs Kong, and it also managed to overcome the opening day total for the MonsterVerse's other Godzilla flicks.

On 11/6/2023 at 1:42 PM, dbcn said:

So... is this related to the recent Godzilla/Monarch movies in some way, or it's own thing..?

I think it is its own thing because it is produced by Toho Studios where Monsterverse/Monarch is from Legendary Pictures.

On 11/6/2023 at 3:11 PM, dbcn said:

thx @Bosco685 - it looks good - I just find the timing weird with the Monarch TV show coming out soon as well

Agreed. Although it is exciting to see all this Godzilla content, general audiences may wonder when does all this come together.