• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Rocky and His Fiendish Friends
4 4

11 posts in this topic

In some of the pics, it looks like there's a nasty scratch/crease from Rocky's armpit through his tail--and in other shots it seems invisible--so it's kind of hard to tell.  If that scratch is really there, it's hard to imagine this book getting to a 9.0.  And then you don't have any shots of the back cover, so that's kind of an unknown as well--but I'd say 8.5 would be the ceiling here.

Hi Axe,

I added two more pics of where you pointed out that crease.  I don’t know what this  is called in the comic book world, a scrunch perhaps, as if the paper was pushed together to make that line.  Around pic #9 in the original pics that I posted you can see the back page, which is exactly the same as the front less the Gold Key, $.25 cents and other writing.  It confused me when I first looked at it

DC53DAEB-A4C2-43D7-A612-C63B1C73C96D.jpeg

23A6D0D0-55FA-4729-89B5-13E4FF2ED34F.jpeg

On 2/20/2022 at 4:40 PM, Jfend72 said:

Hi Axe,

I added two more pics of where you pointed out that crease.  I don’t know what this  is called in the comic book world, a scrunch perhaps, as if the paper was pushed together to make that line.  Around pic #9 in the original pics that I posted you can see the back page, which is exactly the same as the front less the Gold Key, $.25 cents and other writing.  It confused me when I first looked at it

Ah, that explains why the "scrunch" appeared in some pics and not in others--it's only on the BACK cover!  I din't know the front and back cover were the same artwork.

I still think that between that and the accumulation of minor imperfections, it would be hard to reach NM territory--but it's a pretty excellent book.

First of all, I love this book.  It's so.....60s!   However, it looks like some bug chew going on, which is ironic, since I also have a nice looking copy with bug chews.  With that I'm thinking this is 6.5 or 7.0, depending on the extent of the chewing.

On 2/20/2022 at 7:49 PM, Februus said:

I will say 7.5. Mainly ragged bottom edge scuffed or chewed … not a type of book i usually collect or be interested in but I have to say that’s a really cool cover .. I like the coloring. Thanks for sharing it 

It may press to an 8.0 but the bottom right edge is it's major flaw unless it's deemed a production flaw. Possibly chipping - it's from 1962 after all. Marvel wasn't the only publisher with such issues. The other discussed flaw near Rocky's face appears to be a printer's crease.

Thanks for sharing. I agree - cool book.