• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Autographed Sports Illustrated - Will I be marked down for writing on cover (i.e. the signature)?

2 posts in this topic

I never submitted to CGC before but was told the grader would view the signature as "writing on the cover" and mark me down.  In looking at the website it seems like the mag would be Qualified in a green holder for signatures not witnessed but says nothing about points off for writing.

Also, not sure if this 2002 Lebron James is rare or not in high grade and found a comic registry but not a magazine registry.  Anyone know if it exists for Mags and where it is?

Thanks,

Brad

On 2/21/2022 at 4:07 PM, Brad Ritchie said:

I never submitted to CGC before but was told the grader would view the signature as "writing on the cover" and mark me down.  In looking at the website it seems like the mag would be Qualified in a green holder for signatures not witnessed but says nothing about points off for writing.

Also, not sure if this 2002 Lebron James is rare or not in high grade and found a comic registry but not a magazine registry.  Anyone know if it exists for Mags and where it is?

Thanks,

Brad

You'll get the green label by default, yeah. There are some who will contact CGC and tell them to grade it as a Universal/Blue label with the signature counting against the grade.
There's no magazine registry either unfortunately. I hope they add one eventually, as I have a small collection of Entertainment Weekly and Maxim magazines signed by celebrities. :shy: