• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Feedback requested about the CGC hosted grading contests.
4 4

56 posts in this topic

• Administrator

Hey all:

Now that the contest is over (with the exception of the prize picking), I was looking for opinions on any changes you would like to see in future contests.

Thanks in advance.  

Mike

I think it went pretty well minus the large number of people that signed up and didn't take part in the fun. Maybe (depending on interest in future contests) anyone signing up and not participating has to sit out the next or even next two contests.

In the first round you could zoom in closer with better clarity. I'm not going to say it affected my grading, but maybe those with more grading experience would have benefitted from it in the following rounds.

Huge thanks to @CGC Mike for putting this together and running it!

I entered only wanting to compete for the CGC prize. It was great to see people offer prizes but I did not want to do this. Had I been in top 10, I would have opted out of picking a prize (having not donated one). I think this aspect could use some work. Maybe just CGC prizes? Maybe $20 prize donations as an admission to play to get only serious folks on board? Something different that the current format though would be my suggestion. 

• Administrator
On 2/22/2022 at 10:23 AM, jas1vans said:

I think it went pretty well minus the large number of people that signed up and didn't take part in the fun. Maybe (depending on interest in future contests) anyone signing up and not participating has to sit out the next or even next two contests.

In the first round you could zoom in closer with better clarity. I'm not going to say it affected my grading, but maybe those with more grading experience would have benefitted from it in the following rounds.

Huge thanks to @CGC Mike for putting this together and running it!

I think I figured out the problem with the scans.  When I was sent images for the raw books, I was able to save them into my computer, and they would remain a JPG  The sizes were about 2500 X 3600  When the CGC scans were added to the same folder everything changed.  When I saved them, they would end up a JFIF (which isn't board compatible) and the size were about 650 X 900  I used 3D paint to convert them to JPG.  That didn't change the size.  The sizes changed all all of the images after I received the CGC slab images.  

Next time, I will request the CGC scans be sent into a different folder, and make sure the raw scans are the correct size before posting.  

• Administrator
On 2/22/2022 at 10:35 AM, comicginger1789 said:

I entered only wanting to compete for the CGC prize. It was great to see people offer prizes but I did not want to do this. Had I been in top 10, I would have opted out of picking a prize (having not donated one). I think this aspect could use some work. Maybe just CGC prizes? Maybe $20 prize donations as an admission to play to get only serious folks on board? Something different that the current format though would be my suggestion. 

Interesting.  At least one other person felt the same way.  Maybe we should just stick to CGC prizes next time?  I am guessing my budget will remain at $500 total.  Maybe $250 $150 $100 for 1st through 3rd place, or just 1 prize of $500?  Other?  

On 2/22/2022 at 11:51 AM, CGC Mike said:

Interesting.  At least one other person felt the same way.  Maybe we should just stick to CGC prizes next time?  I am guessing my budget will remain at $500 total.  Maybe $250 $150 $100 for 1st through 3rd place, or just 1 prize of $500?  Other?  

That's not good.

I mean how can only 3 people benefit from prizes? I understand when there are nearly 300 contestants. Just makes me miss the older contests when it was fewer, and we could try harder to donate, place and win a prize :( 

• Administrator
On 2/22/2022 at 1:00 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

That's not good.

I mean how can only 3 people benefit from prizes? I understand when there are nearly 300 contestants. Just makes me miss the older contests when it was fewer, and we could try harder to donate, place and win a prize :( 

There are going to be less than 300 participants next time.  I will probably cap it off somewhere around 200.  That's about all I can handle.   Also, I am going to keep the sign up thread open to just members who post here for about a week, and allow them first chance.  If we need more people after that, I might ask marketing to do an e-blast announcement to our customers.  

On 2/22/2022 at 12:08 PM, CGC Mike said:

There are going to be less than 300 participants next time.  I will probably cap it off somewhere around 200.  That's about all I can handle.   Also, I am going to keep the sign up thread open to just members who post here for about a week, and allow them first chance.  If we need more people after that, I might ask marketing to do an e-blast announcement to our customers.  

Well that sounds better, for you too! I'm just saying, there is no harm in encouraging donations, and or, participation at that angle.

I know there were going to be more than just 1 or 2 contests a year, and that not everyone can donate every time, I didn't this time. I'm just saying, you shouldn't say "no donations" idk just a thought :) 

• Administrator
On 2/22/2022 at 1:11 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Well that sounds better, for you too! I'm just saying, there is no harm in encouraging donations, and or, participation at that angle.

I know there were going to be more than just 1 or 2 contests a year, and that not everyone can donate every time, I didn't this time. I'm just saying, you shouldn't say "no donations" idk just a thought :) 

Well, this is up to you guys to decide.  Others feel differently than you.  I will be going with what the majority want.  Now is the time for people to speak up.

On 2/22/2022 at 12:51 PM, CGC Mike said:

Yeah something like that. I always just enjoyed last grading contests because everyone donated as this was part of the entry fee to play.  Usually such an entry fee deterred people who did not want to enter a donation and we had 150-200 or so playing. But at more than that I feel you lose that aspect of people who want to donate.

On 2/22/2022 at 12:13 PM, comicginger1789 said:

Yeah something like that. I always just enjoyed last grading contests because everyone donated as this was part of the entry fee to play.  Usually such an entry fee deterred people who did not want to enter a donation and we had 150-200 or so playing. But at more than that I feel you lose that aspect of people who want to donate.

A million times this! Make people donate to play lol that way they have invested interest, and it's not just well, I entered and maybe I'll place haha idk

I hear everyone saying they like the old contests, and then suggesting the complete opposite for the new ones lol @CGC Mike so if you can make some sense of it all, more power to you :shy: 

• Administrator

In case everyone didn't see it, I did post that for the next contest, everyone will be able to participate in all 4 rounds.  Also, if we do have other prizes donated, they will not be limited to just the top 10 participants.  

I thought everything was well done, although I can't imagine the work load CGC Mike had to do. Total kudos and thanks for everything Mike!

That being said, I would have participated without the option of getting a prize. Of course winning (congratulations Squirrel Guy and everyone else who made it to the finale) is always great and I'm sure the $$ was appreciated, however it was really the opportunity to match grading wits with everyone that got me checking the thread(s) over and over again. I learned a lot and had fun. 

I would think that the entries should be lowered to 200 as Mike stated and give folks who entered and finished (no matter how they scored in the earlier rounds) first chance, at least for the next one. 

• Administrator
On 2/22/2022 at 1:37 PM, davidtere said:

I would think that the entries should be lowered to 200 as Mike stated and give folks who entered and finished (no matter how they scored in the earlier rounds) first chance, at least for the next one. 

I have already edited the rules for the next contest.  

If you don't intend on playing until the end, don't sign up.  For the people that fail to finish the contest, I will put them on a list, and they will not be allowed to enter the next contest.  They will have to "sit one out"  An exception will be if someone contacts me with a legitimate excuse.  354 people signed up for the first contest.  218 people dropped out.  It isn't fair for the people that were turned away due to the set limit of people allowed to sign up.  It's also not fair to the organizers that spent countless hours coming up with a list of people in the sign-up thread, adding them to the spreadsheet, and sending them a PM.  

On 2/22/2022 at 12:46 PM, CGC Mike said:

I think I figured out the problem with the scans.  When I was sent images for the raw books, I was able to save them into my computer, and they would remain a JPG  The sizes were about 2500 X 3600  When the CGC scans were added to the same folder everything changed.  When I saved them, they would end up a JFIF (which isn't board compatible) and the size were about 650 X 900  I used 3D paint to convert them to JPG.  That didn't change the size.  The sizes changed all all of the images after I received the CGC slab images.  

Next time, I will request the CGC scans be sent into a different folder, and make sure the raw scans are the correct size before posting.  

1. 2500 x 3600 is a fantastic image size.   However, the Board software resizes the images down.  I'd suggest hosting larger images off-site where they don't get resized.   I used to pay www.imageshack.com like $3 for a month of hosting large, unresized scans
  2. Don't use a black background for the images  See ASM below. 
  3. Scan, don't use photos.  The photos had a glare that distracted and possibly hid defects.  For example, see the spine on this ASM front cover and the edge of the back cover from Round #2.
    Spoiler

ASM #300 front.jpg
    ASM #300 back.jpg

Edited by BlowUpTheMoon
greggy is a dork

• Administrator

I should clarify that this new rule won't take effect for the next contest.  That is when I will add it as a rule.  Anyone that signs up and fails to participate in the next contest, will have to "sit one out" in the following one.

• Administrator
On 2/22/2022 at 1:56 PM, BlowUpTheMoon said:
  1. 2500 x 3600 is a fantastic image size.   However, the Board software resizes the images down.  I'd suggest hosting larger images off-site where they don't get resized.   I used to pay www.imageshack.com like $3 for a month of hosting large, unresized scans
  2. Don't use a black background for the images  See ASM below. 
  3. Scan, don't use photos.  The photos had a glare that distracted and possibly hid defects.  For example, see the spine on this ASM front cover and the edge of the back cover from Round #2.
      Reveal hidden contents

I will check into all of this.  (thumbsu