• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is the best way to learn the "art" of grading?

15 posts in this topic

What is the best way for a beginner (or someone coming back into comics after a 15 year layoff like myself) to learn the art of grading a comic book?

I don't want to become a grading expert (would be nice), but I want to be informed about grades / values of comic books, especially when considering a purchase.

Suggestions?

Start by grabbing yourself a copy of the Overstreet Grading Guide and studying it from cover to cover. Then grab a stack of old comics and grade them. Then check your grades against the grading guide.

Practice is the key.

Start by grabbing yourself a copy of the Overstreet Grading Guide and studying it from cover to cover. Then grab a stack of old comics and grade them. Then check your grades against the grading guide.

Practice is the key.

Good advice.

You might also want to check out the Grading forum.

Look at the books posted there and see what others grade them along with the

comments made. In the aggregate, many common defects you will run into are

discused. Keep in mind there are aspects of books that don't reveal themselves in

scans, and they have to be accounted for as well. There's no substitute for having

the book in hand. But it should give you a "feel" for grading.

Try this: put some comics up on ebay with pics and list every single one as NM no matter how beat up they are. When the emails come pooring in saying "you scamming SOB thats a VG not NM" you have a grade as a starting point. If you do this long enough you will eventually get an idea of what grades your books are. I mean geez surf ebay it's obvious people do this 27_laughing.gif

smirk.gif

Simply practicing all on your lonesome is probably the best way to learn to grade badly, since you will have a tendency to reinforce your own mistakes and develop bad habits. Ultimately, you need a basis for comparison.

My best resource is the descriptions of allowable defects in each grade in the OGG. Not the pictures, and not the general overview section, but the bit where it says things like up to a 1/4" spine split is allowable in this grade, or small stains are allowable in that grade, etc. Makes it easy to ballpark a grade just by looking for dealbreaker defects.

Also you could hit a show and take notes on what various dealers are calling VF or NM or whatever. And grade lots of stuff - the Fairs and the Goods and the Fines as well as the NM stuff. I mean, NM is easy. If it's basically perfect with just a couple of small flaws, it's probably NM. 5.0 - 6.0 are harder to pin down.

Exactly, one you go above 9.0 and below 6.0 there starts to get some "Gray" area on the grade. Hitting up ye olde dealer at shows helps some. Also remember, that GA(and some would say SA) grading is definitely different from Grading BA, Copper or Modern. Production quality of those comics went up significantly. So, grading hinges on that.

What is the best way for a beginner (or someone coming back into comics after a 15 year layoff like myself) to learn the art of grading a comic book?

Suggestions?

Buy raw off of eBay, then subtract 2 points to get the correct grade.

Or...

Buy from Dickwizard and subtract 8 points to get the accurate grade.

tonofbricks.gif