• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Newton Rings ...help me out on this topic!

3 posts in this topic

Hi All,

So I am only a few months back into my old comic hobby. Mainly looking at getting some of my old good condition collection graded (Mainly Bronze and a few Silver) But in the last few months I have bought my first few CGC slabs both are 2 are modern and one was silver. One of the modern books was "Bartkira" CGC 9.8  which is something purchased purely for collecting because i love the concept and art(before people judge me! ha). The seller mentioned newton rings present on the spine but i still wanted it. The book is thicker than most normal comics so maybe that's why it happened or not? secondly do newton rings affect prices of books and astly apart from re-slabbing is there any ways to remove or reduce them ? 

Newton rings allegedly happen when the inner well makes contact with the outer case (if I'm remembering that right).  It can happen on all types of books, and I'm not aware of slabbed thicker books being more prone to newton rings.  I would ask for accurate pics of the spine to see if you are willing to live with the rings, which can be minor.  

There is no way to reduce/remove the rings. If your case has newton rings and you hate the look of it, your only recourse is to send it to CGC for a reholder.