• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM X-Men 55
4 4

9 posts in this topic

Hi all,

This book is in pretty nice shape except for the obvious chipping (though it looks as if it's been eaten by some kind of animal, I do believe this is chipping, albeit in an odd pattern).  Nice colors and gloss.  

IMG_2732.thumb.jpg.1cec3b0a50983c4e7784d4ffbd926cbf.jpg

IMG_2733.thumb.jpg.8f5bb1a6fd55cc4025aeddfe176eb343.jpg

IMG_2734.thumb.jpg.eb4ac50fdc23bb84e4b06062c8281d22.jpg

IMG_2735.thumb.jpg.df1bd9e00693764b897299858411cbde.jpg

IMG_2736.thumb.jpg.8aa209bc9319503e7195e8ff1b228146.jpg

Edited by bapowell

Yeah, it looks to be in pretty good shape outside of the extensive damage to the front edge on both the front and back covers.  The damage at the top of the front cover does appear to have been eaten by some kind of bug/worm or something.

It's kind of a hard one because of the contrast between a fairly nice book and some severe damage.  It kind of has a 4-ish feel, but with multiple large pieces missing from both covers, I don't think I could go higher than a 3.5.

I'm probably just not experienced enough to know how to balance the virtues and defects of this book.

On 2/24/2022 at 11:23 AM, Axe Elf said:

Yeah, it looks to be in pretty good shape outside of the extensive damage to the front edge on both the front and back covers.  The damage at the top of the front cover does appear to have been eaten by some kind of bug/worm or something.

It's kind of a hard one because of the contrast between a fairly nice book and some severe damage.  It kind of has a 4-ish feel, but with multiple large pieces missing from both covers, I don't think I could go higher than a 3.5.

I'm probably just not experienced enough to know how to balance the virtues and defects of this book.

This book is a victim of the notorious marvel chipping of the 60s. If this book is purely chipping then probably 5.0. CGC takes marvel chipping from this time with some leniency.

On 2/24/2022 at 1:31 PM, MrRoboto said:

This book is a victim of the notorious marvel chipping of the 60s. If this book is purely chipping then probably 5.0. CGC takes marvel chipping from this time with some leniency.

Even the missing lower right corner, and that "rounded" piece out of the Comic Code stamp in the upper right?  They look more significant than chipping, but I'm not experienced enough to know about the phenomenon and leniency you reference.

On 2/24/2022 at 11:40 AM, Axe Elf said:

Even the missing lower right corner, and that "rounded" piece out of the Comic Code stamp in the upper right?  They look more significant than chipping, but I'm not experienced enough to know about the phenomenon and leniency you reference.

I see what you mean about the circle, that is probably something else. I still think 5.0 though.

4.0/4.5

I don't think that's chipping. Still presents great even with that wear so the higher grade is likely.

Cool Valentine's Day date stamp! Thanks for posting.

On 2/24/2022 at 2:13 PM, grendelbo said:

4.0/4.5

I don't think that's chipping. Still presents great even with that wear so the higher grade is likely.

Cool Valentine's Day date stamp! Thanks for posting.

“Comics are back on the menu boys” no marvel chipping. Some insects got to it.. looks ragged along the edge tho so I can see how that could be confusing.. perhaps someone trimmed a little off to make it look better. 4.0 to 4.5