• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rating RAW Seller Grades Vs CGC Slabbed Grades
2 2

8 posts in this topic

I'd like to provide feedback on the multitude of sellers I've purchased from whose comics went to CGC (and others) for grading. I am well aware grades vary, but this could help identify a trend; positive, negative or neutral.

My plan is to post: Grade the seller assigned, CGC Grade (and CBCS if allowed), era (Golden/Silver/Bronze/etc), Grading notes, and names of private sellers and businesses (online and storefront). Before I proceed, I want to confirm no-one else has done this so I'm not duplicating the effort. 

Have a great day.

Someone did this years ago for Golden Age Comics.  A review of what grades were compared to what CGC graded them as.  I don't have a link and the search function here stinks.  Good luck.

Edited by thunsicker

On 3/2/2022 at 4:11 PM, Upgrayedd2 said:

I'd like to provide feedback on the multitude of sellers I've purchased from whose comics went to CGC (and others) for grading. I am well aware grades vary, but this could help identify a trend; positive, negative or neutral.

My plan is to post: Grade the seller assigned, CGC Grade (and CBCS if allowed), era (Golden/Silver/Bronze/etc), Grading notes, and names of private sellers and businesses (online and storefront). Before I proceed, I want to confirm no-one else has done this so I'm not duplicating the effort. 

Have a great day.

I did that at the begining of the year as part of an annual grading contest. Turns out I didn't purchase from anyone who overgraded. But there's a bias since if I felt someone listed a comic at a grade I disagreed with, I simply didn't buy it. While people say grades vary, we also do have a good sense of grades overall and we can tell when something is off. The biggest variances are people's attitude towards specific flaws like rust, staining and detached parts since those are the big differences between Overstreet and CGC. But in terms of standard wear and tear, there seems to be a consensus.