• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

any Artist on hear ?

137 posts in this topic

No doubt, it takes alot of raw talent but above all practice makes perfect. And Aman are you giving use guys that posted a shot? "Theres a lot more to drawing than adding muscles and crosshatching."

well yes and no. All the posted pieces are great and come from the heart! I merely suggest any of those who [embarrassing lack of self control] on "the comic book hacks" who might be posting their own work, put it in perspective

We aren't claiming to be pros. Should sports commentators not comment on players because they can't dunk themselves? Everyone has a healthy respect for popular artists, but saying you can't criticize them because you can't do it yourself is a silly argument.

like I end up having to say each time I bristle at hostile fan criticism towards "hack artists in comics" - - yeah, you can criticize anyone you want. You have the right. But many just sound foolish cause they havent got a clue how much talent these guys have, and just cause you dont like their style doesnt make them "hacks" who suck etc..... but I better shut up now or I'll be defending Liefeld's work at this rate!

I read a book about how to break into comic books it has tips and stories from artist & writers from all era's GA till now

Jim Lee said he showed his work and he was told he would have to be able to bump up production to 4-6 if he wanted to make it.

Jim Lee would be lucky to get through 4-6 pages a week. The general rule of thumb is that people want to be able to do a page a day. Some guys are faster than that, but not many (these days at least.)

A page a day is what most artists tell me they shoot for. Some folks don't have a problem with that but, for some, that's really hauling booty.

Back in the day I heard Jack was doing 3-4 pages an hour. Now those were probably nothing more than stick figures but still...

Sal Buscema and Gil Kane were also speed demons from what I hear. At least the volume of their work seems to suggest it.

cool.gif this thread has really got me interested in doing some more drawing I working on one now that I just had to post even though I just started it. the ideal is from one of my first FF books, I think it is going to be my best work so far but I still have allot of work to do on it smile.gif what do you think better ?

977144-Thingunfinishedart.jpg

977144-Thingunfinishedart.jpg.2bfcb6b7ea773cdd673b2d3ac5a97c56.jpg

Here is one I sketched and inked today (though the inking isn't finished). Cartoons are harder than they look, his eyes took four or five tries.

I like how this thread has got me drawing again...if only temporarily. Maybe I will do another tomorrow.

sketch5.jpg

Nice scrooge. thumbsup2.gif Webbed feet are the hardest to do.

Thanks, but your stuff puts it to shame. My favorite part of your large piece is the background. It really sticks out and looks just amazing. 893applaud-thumb.gif

I am no art expert but I can say I like your Usagi better than the Scrooge. It seems looser. Is this because you feel Stan's style better than Barks'? I dunno ... but it seemed less "belabored" and you relaxed when creating the shapes of the mighty rabbit. But what do I know.

Nice sketches I see so far! I've got a few that are a sample I'm trying to put together. Keep in mind they are unfinished, but you'll get the idea. Also, I've fixed a lot of the crappy parts since I've made these scans. Like Hawkeyes hand and arm; much better now. yay.gif

sample2.jpg

sample3.jpg

Sample.jpg

sample4.jpg

I am no art expert but I can say I like your Usagi better than the Scrooge. It seems looser. Is this because you feel Stan's style better than Barks'? I dunno ... but it seemed less "belabored" and you relaxed when creating the shapes of the mighty rabbit. But what do I know.

I agree with you 100% and for the same reasons. A lot of it has to do with my inking. Putting down inks is tough for me, as my hands have always had a bit of a tremor (yes, I am a 25 year old geezer). I am much more comfortable working with pencils, as they are far less exact and my somewhat shaky linework can be covered up by multiple strokes. That's pretty much the reason I don't want to ink my sketches, as they rarely turn out better for it.

thumbsup2.gif I like that Hawkeye and Spider-man stuff "panel art is cool" but no way he is going to hit Spidey with a arrow grin.gif. Some more good stuff october I like that Samri rabit better too, that is great for 15 minutes. Well I worked more on my Thing last night and got this much done I probably have about 2 hours in it now frown.gif I should have made the rocks much larger.

977873-Thingunfinishedartb.jpg

977873-Thingunfinishedartb.jpg.44f049561dc1580351a4a4301ee149f0.jpg