• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Label Modifications

472 posts in this topic

Here's one potentially confusing thing......both these labels have a notation about trimming. But one has a numerical value listed for the extent of the trimming ( Level 2 ) , and the other has "trimmed" noted but no value.

trimming.jpg

I think the Level 2 is referring to the small amount of color touch, but you're right, that's confusing. They need to make that more clear.

Exactly. More information is better, which is what everybody has been screaming about here for quite some time, or so I thought.
Fine, we'll take all that information, just make all labels universal purple. thumbsup2.gif Hey, it's just a color right? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Exactly. More information is better, which is what everybody has been screaming about here for quite some time, or so I thought.
Fine, we'll take all that information, just make all labels universal purple. thumbsup2.gif Hey, it's just a color right? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

If you really want to make them universal, then they should be rainbow colored.

Here's one potentially confusing thing......both these labels have a notation about trimming. But one has a numerical value listed for the extent of the trimming ( Level 2 ) , and the other has "trimmed" noted but no value.

trimming.jpg

I think the Level 2 is referring to the small amount of color touch, but you're right, that's confusing. They need to make that more clear.

really, the word "Trim" in the top example should be in brackets, like the notation below the publishing date

trimming.jpg

really, the word "Trim" in the top example should be in brackets, like the notation below the publishing date

And here my posts get deleted when I talk about trim. yeahok.gif

trimming.jpg

Or "restored level 2" above the numeric grade and "trimmed" below.

Here's another halfway measure.....do away with the purple label, have all the blue labels you want, just make it easier to differentiate between "certified" and "apparent" grades. Especially helpful when looking at scans on ebay or for an inexperienced collector to at least be aware that there is a difference.

cgclabelsnew.jpg

This would be a helpful compromise.

Red

Here's another halfway measure.....do away with the purple label, have all the blue labels you want, just make it easier to differentiate between "certified" and "apparent" grades. Especially helpful when looking at scans on ebay or for an inexperienced collector to at least be aware that there is a difference.

cgclabelsnew.jpg

This would be a helpful compromise.

Red

thumbsup2.gif

Come on guys give it up .

CGC is a money making juggernaut with a 1 or 2 month waiting list .

They don't care about the " Purity " of collecting , they only ask one question when making decisions like this , WILL WE MAKE MORE MONEY ? .

Why be supprised , they are not a charity , like Exxon they exist to make money .

Repeat after me "a CGC grade is subjective , it may have SSC , it may have bad QP .

I can understand the need for the new labels as the gap in pricing between unrestored and restored books continues to grow. Whether CGC has found the right approach is what he feedback should be about,. I'll have to think about CGC's post to determine specifically what I believe should be changed.

In the meantime here are some thoughts:

!)Will CGC pass on the savings from ordering only Blue colored Labels to their customers?

2)If these new restored labels are used will CGC have any customers?

3)Will the label colors for :unrestored" and "unconserved" books be changed?

4)I suspect that I conserve money by not sending in my purple label books for blue labels?

5)How can I reduce the size of my scans for E-Bay listings? Try to read the print on E-Bay scans.

6)Who has the Blue label "pressed book labels"?

7)Will the labels be pressed?

8)Who were these labels shown to in Baltimore? When you make a deal with Union Leaders, the rank and file might still believe they are sold out.

9)Can I have my plods reholdered first before the buyers find out what's happening.

10)Did KK advise you on the new Labels?

It's too late to take about the color of the label .

A Dealer / Collector sends in a book and gets call from CGC your book graded a 8.5 but for a fee of 100 dollars are sister company PCS can make it a 9.0 .

It does not matter what is written on the label it's all worthless , it's every man / collector for himself , like shark infested waters .

The following conditions must be met for CGC to recognize deacidification on the label. Book must be sent to CGC from the conservator or restorer that performed the work. A dated certificate or letter must be included that details what portions of the book was deacidified (e.g. Cover, interior, entire book). The certificate or letter must disclose what buffer material was used to achieve deacidification. It will be at CGC’s sole discretion to decide if the information provided is acceptable.

So does this mean we send all our books for friesen or whatever his name is and he will get them right over to cgc after he's done resto errr conserving the books? Sounds like a way to get there other company plenty of work yeahok.gif

Ever since these annoucements were made awhile ago, has anyone stood up and said, "Hey, CGC, great idea! Keep up the good work!"? Anyone? Bueller?

Povertyrow and Timely were the chief proponents of getting rid of the PLOD and using a scale to denote the level of restoration.

frown.gif

What's wrong with keeping the PLOD...and using a scale to denote the level of restoration?

gossip.gif That purple label scares off buyers.

yeahok.gif

This does not simplify collecting. I hope each new slab under this system will come with Cliff Notes. I know we asked for more information. It's the myriad new classifications that will cause confusion. New collectors won't stand a chance, in my opinion.

And I still feel that this new system is going to appear tailor made for PCS to offer an expanded assortment of services to fit every label.

Brad

I've just come online now, and seen this nonsense.

This seems at first glance hopelessly confusing...CGC seem to be going down the 'It's not broken, but we'll try and fix it anyway'.

If this labelling system comes in...God help us all...is all I can say. 893naughty-thumb.gif