• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Label Modifications

472 posts in this topic

Then on the other hand "We" say that certification is bad now that the new labels will make it harder for newbies to comprehend...

Do you actually believe you fully comprehend 100% of the potential label combinations, permutations, and valuations of the new label format? No problem at all.

I don't and I can admit that.

Then on the other hand "We" say that certification is bad now that the new labels will make it harder for newbies to comprehend...

Do you actually believe you fully comprehend 100% of the potential label combinations, permutations, and valuations of the new label format? No problem at all.

I don't and I can admit that.

I guess I can honestly say that I don't at this moment since I haven't seen them on the market yet...

But I can tell you this with some degree of certainty...a HG "Universal" labeled comic with no other qualifiers will probably now increase in value since that will be the ideal book to obtain...JMO...

On one hand..."We" say that newbies need to stop buying raw books on eBay auctions that are obviously scams due to the lousy cropped pics or the small decieving pics or whatever...

This new change isn't benefiting them at all. "Keep it simple stupid" applies. It was difficult enough for newbies to grasp the 10 point system. Now you're adding restored numbering, on slabs that traditionally were recognized as unrestored. Forget that...too much info to recycle...

This change CLEARLY demonstrates where CGC has their interest...with the extremely high rollers and dealers who want as much ambigiouity in the hobby as possible...

Jim

But I can tell you this with some degree of certainty...a HG "Universal" labeled comic with no other qualifiers will probably now increase in value since that will be the ideal book to obtain...JMO...

Oh yeah, and that's the natural reaction to something like this and I believe books with "anything funny about them" will be shunned even more than the current PLOD. I think that some people sending in their PLODs for the "Blue Label Treatment" are going to be very surprised at the low bids these books receive.

Those that stay in the CGC market will be very, very, very careful and the most primo Universal books may well increase slightly as a result.

It was difficult enough for newbies to grasp the 10 point system.

Bottom line....then those collectors shouldn't be buying slabbed comics...

I kinda think that instead of the K.I.S.S. principle(sp?) here...I think the phrase "Stupid is as stupid does" applies...a stupid collector is a foolish collector...nothing will change that whether it is CGC, PGX, label enhancements or whatever...

Newbies have to learn to walk before they can run...if they try to bypass the former then it's their own damn fault not CGC's...

I kinda think that instead of the K.I.S.S. principle(sp?) here...I think the phrase "Stupid is as stupid does" applies...a stupid collector is a foolish collector...nothing will change that whether it is CGC, PGX, label enhancements or whatever...

Newbies have to learn to walk before they can run...if they try to bypass the former then it's their own damn fault not CGC's...

Do you agree that someone's product should be simple in concept and execution to appeal to the most consumers?

Seems to be the business model of most smart business leaders...

Jim

I *might* agree with you IF CGC's current color-coded label format had NOT been in effect for almost six years.

But once you change horses mid-stream, it brings up all kinds of consumer headaches, with all sorts of different books out there in the market. How in the world you think that will not create market confusion is beyond me.

Do you actually think the majority of CGC buyers will be happy with PLODs, GLODs, BLODs, and BLOUs all floating around? screwy.gif

Do you agree that someone's product should be simple in concept and execution to appeal to the most consumers?

Seems to be the business model of most smart business leaders...

Jim

CGC's product is simple in concept and execution to most consumers, as most consumers buy unrestored books, as shown by Valiantman's data.

CGC's product is simple in concept and execution to most consumers, as most consumers buy unrestored books, as shown by Valiantman's data.

I think a good test of this would be to take a few thousand Universal CGC books, separate them into two sets of boxes and then hide 10 PLODs in one and then 10 BLODs in the other.

Then time how long it took to find all 10 of them.

I guarantee the old format would be faster, as color has been proven to be a quicker and more consistent identifier than text.

P.S. No color-blind comments, as then they're at worst equal.

"Most" customers of slabs. Not the general comic customer. The question is why are they further limiting their customer base? It's a self defeating business model.

Jim

See here is the thing that I have a problem with, far as the arguements against the new labels. It is assumed that no one is really going to take the time and read the labels. It is assumed that the dealer will not not list the label text when selling the item. Now, even if this is true, the market will adapt to this. People will read the label. People will end up understanding the label. And if the market demands it, the dealers will have to list out the label text in their auctions. My argument against the new label is that the lettering isn't big enough in the right places, to help facilitate the buying and collecting process.

Before, if a collector wanted to avoid restored comic it was rather simple. Purple labels were taboo. Now they have to wade through an added numbering system, on slabs whose color schemes and information was previously relatively easy to understand, to determine whether a comic meets their collecting thresholds.

Not true, collectors who want to avoid restored comics simply need to avoid apparent labels. That's it. They don't need to consider the numbering system at all.

Several people have expressed concern for newbies, and I think that concern is misplaced. In all aspects of life, it's the newbies that adapt the fastest. Someone just entering the hobby is far more open to something new than a long-standing collector who has the natural inclination to be afraid of change.

Someone just entering the hobby is far more open to something new than a long-standing collector who has the natural inclination to be afraid of change.

I wonder when someone would trot out the "scared of change" strawman. 27_laughing.gif

But you seem to forget that all of the previous six year's worth of CGC labeled books will still be out there, so "someone just entering the hobby" will need to understand two totally different label formats in order to get by.

My, how simple, huh? screwy.gif

I'm actually more interested in taking my dogs to the park then I am in comic books at this point.

I find myself caring so little about these CGC changes that I'm not going to offer any feedback and I'm also not going to cry like a b1tch over the changes.

Sadly this about sums it up for me as well. After only 5 pages of this thread I knew even if I spent the next 2 hours reading the remainder of posts I would still probably feel as OG stated.

My love for funny books is still there, but trying to break down the myriad of label change variations that are about to be thrust upon us and how they will ultimately tie in with PCS is worthy of a 6 week workshop at my local Community College.

It should be interesting to see how GPA incorporates all of the BLC(Before label change) and ALC(After label change) sales numbers.

So I will leave this to those with more of a vested interest, and alot more time to spend then I.

Besides.. whoever said things were NEVER going to change?....for better OR worse? This is new,and will soon be old. And something else will more than likely replace this down the road as well.

The ONLY thing I know for certain is this WILL happen in one form or another, and we will all just have to work around the new system as we see fit... that and JC is NOT in favor of any of this!.

Ze-

"Most" customers of slabs. Not the general comic customer. The question is why are they further limiting their customer base? It's a self defeating business model.

Jim

I don't understand your argument. The general comic customer isn't their customer base. Their customer base is people who buy and use their services. The vast majority of those customers, again, as shown by the data, buy unrestored books.

Someone just entering the hobby is far more open to something new than a long-standing collector who has the natural inclination to be afraid of change.

I wonder when someone would trot out the "scared of change" strawman. 27_laughing.gif

But you seem to forget that all of the previous six year's worth of CGC labeled books will still be out there, so "someone just entering the hobby" will need to understand two totally different label formats in order to get by.

My, how simple, huh? screwy.gif

I'm not forgetting that at all. Learning old & new labels ain't rocket science.

Call my "scared of change" comment a "strawman" all you like, but it doesn't change the fact that newbies are far more adaptable to change than someone who's been around for a while. Anyone who's ever had a job should recognize that fact. When big changes occur in any business, it's the new-hires that adapt the quickest, while the long-standing employees grumble and moan.

The ONLY thing I know for certain is this will happen in one form or another and we will all just have to see how we work around this new system....oh that , and JC is NOT in favor of any of this!.

That's not fair, as I was in favor of getting rid of the Red Modern label, and streamlining the format that much more.

What bugs me is when companies try and make things as complicated as possible, just to serve their own incestuous needs.

Call my "scared of change" comment a "strawman" all you like,

But it is a strawman, and something supporters of a plan use to try and slam down logical debate.

I remember being on a few re-org committees where employees were asked to take significant pay cuts under the new job descriptions. When they didn't, the in charge always went back to the same old "they're just scared of change" BS.

They weren't "scared of change", these people just saw no use in going along with a plan that was pure madness. In the end, most employees quit and got jobs at higher-than their old salary, the department was in a shambles, and a few big guys got canned.

I guess they ended up being "scared of change" too. 27_laughing.gif

Look, this is all really simple and all books can be put into four categories so that there's no confusion....

Anything that's been worked on by PCS in any way, other than pressed - CONSERVED

Anything that's been worked on by any other poor schmuck - RESTORED

Anything that's been pressed by PCS and passed down the hall - CERTIFIED

Anything that's been worked on by a BSD with a modicum of skill - CERTIFIED

What's the problem? confused-smiley-013.gif