• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Label Modifications

472 posts in this topic

Waiting anxiously for the PGX announcement stating similar changes..... foreheadslap.gif

If they're smart....they won't do a dang thing in response to this.

With all they crazyness going on lately with CGC slabs, this new move is a backwards move in re-establishing their credibility in the collector marketplace.

I shake my head in disbelief, and I honestly think that if PGX steps up a little more in their services they will eventually surpass CGC and their roles will be reversed.

Frankly conservation and restoration are not two mutually exclusive terms. At what point does sealing a spine tear (conservation) become sealing two halves of a cover back together (restoration)?

And has adequate research been made into deacidification? Either way the book is not going to magically return to its' original state because of this process.

The point about deacidification being necessary in light of preserving comics as they are not meant to last in excess of 50 years, is a little disingenuous. Comics can remain in their original state through careful storage.

It's interesting that such distinctions between "restoration" and "conservation" should be made now - I am aware that some Forumites were keen on the move towards a resto scale and doing away with the PLOD, but no-one mentioned separating "bad" resto from "good".

I am not against conservation. But to imply that it is not restoration in any way is manipulative. The proposed changes will result in loss of confidence in the market as it is an unnecessary complication.

And as for the opportunity for bad ebay sellers to alter scans - remember that's the venue where most CGC books are sold.

As I said in an earlier thread, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Lastly, GET RID OF QUALIFIED LABELS AND GRADE THE BOOK WHAT IT SHOULD BE. Qualified labels are nothing more than bookends holding up the good stuff in between. They only good thing they are used for is to line the outside of the boxes in case they get crushed.

893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

Ever since these annoucements were made awhile ago, has anyone stood up and said, "Hey, CGC, great idea! Keep up the good work!"? Anyone? Bueller?

Povertyrow and Timely were the chief proponents of getting rid of the PLOD and using a scale to denote the level of restoration.

As a collector, it sounds like a good idea. But in reality, CGC has apparently discounted just how sleazy some sellers in this hobby are. This label modification will likely do more harm than good as rubes are suckered into buying Blue Label CGC books thinking they are unrestored that are actually PLODs.

frown.gif

Ever since these annoucements were made awhile ago, has anyone stood up and said, "Hey, CGC, great idea! Keep up the good work!"? Anyone? Bueller?

Povertyrow and Timely were the chief proponents of getting rid of the PLOD and using a scale to denote the level of restoration.

frown.gif

What's wrong with keeping the PLOD...and using a scale to denote the level of restoration?

frown.gif

What's wrong with keeping the PLOD...and using a scale to denote the level of restoration?

gossip.gif That purple label scares off buyers.

frown.gif

Dude, please read the following;

Why is a Blue label better than a Purple?

Purple Restored vs. Blue Apparent?

the answers you seek are within

I like the idea but the execution here is all wrong. I am confused as hell by all of this and I already had a pretty good understanding of restoration before I saw the new labels. I'll be emailing my thoughts to CGC. Hopefully I'll be able to get to it before I have to leave on my honeymoon.

Wow, deeply disappointed and bewildered with these proposed changes. I will take a day or two to digest them, and then send along my comments.

Troops, please do note that Scott Schecter has asked for us to email him regarding the proposed changes. (I would hate for everyone just to post their comments here, and for CGC to then be able to claim that they didn't receive any negative feedback!)

As a collector, it sounds like a good idea. But in reality, CGC has apparently discounted just how sleazy some sellers in this hobby are. This label modification will likely do more harm than good as rubes are suckered into buying Blue Label CGC books thinking they are unrestored that are actually PLODs.

frown.gif

with respect to this complaint, i did some research...found a book on eBay that isn't the largest scan in the world, and stuck on a new Apparent Restored label, just to see how obvious it was;

ORIGINAL:

9315mj.jpg

ALTERED:

931r9oe.jpg

realistically, unless someone has a postage stamp-sized image, ain't no one going to be fooled by the label. and if someone buys a book without looking at it, then they get what they deserve.

i still think this whole thing is a mistake, by the way, but we will have to see if it bites CGC or not

i still think this whole thing is a mistake, by the way, but we will have to see if it bites CGC or not

There's one positive about it - I won't be buying another CGC comic as long as I live (and selling what I don't break out), so I'll be flush for raw books into the next century.

This is an error of monumental proportions, and even the dealers who created and pushed for this monstrosity must be shaking their heads.

I know CGC has thrown the 'grading' business in the trash can to pursue the business of 'comic restoration' but to put "TAPE" on the numerical label to stop all those scam artists from putting tape on the covers of their pressed comics is absurd. Put PRESSED on the numerical label to prevent this type of scam from occuring. Not tape. screwy.gif

i don't think it's a big deal, CGC should of started the labels this way to begin with instead of the red, blue, purple, & green label of designation. people need to go out and take a breath of fresh air, drink some coffee, smell some damn roses instead of being pent up in cyber space all day. just my two bills. 893scratchchin-thumb.gifhi.gifflowerred.gif