• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DC 27 on Ebay. $3000000!
5 5

48 posts in this topic

On 3/5/2022 at 12:54 AM, Gotham Kid said:

here you go mate, this is what the book started out as ...

Can You Use Sawdust As Mulch: Information About Mulching With Sawdust

The Meyers shocked the collecting community by holding back and not going all the way to 10.0

They have also produced a Batman 1 9.6, Detective 31 9.6, Incredible Hulk 1 9.8, etc...

They got into a legal tussle with CGC a few years back cause they wouldn't grade their garbage.

Exactly, would be curious to see what the original book looked like.

On 3/4/2022 at 8:57 PM, Point Five said:

I had to Google this. Very cool!

Guess you never watched WandaVision either. :baiting:  Vision refers to himself as such. 

Personally, at the right price, I could see owning this book.  It's very attractive, and Detective 27's are not going to get any cheaper anytime soon.  Once books cross the $1M mark, their parts go up and coverless spike too.  I would look at this book as a value of between a VG to maybe even as high as a VG/F  unrestored value.  I dunno, but its an attractive book that's had work & one of the most sought after.  I'm old enough to remember when books like the 1 st appearance of The Legion of Superheroes were in the top 10 S.A. (maybe top 20? Don't have an old Overstreet around me to reference.)  If there is any G.A. book that could take the top spot away from Action Comics #1, I think Detective #27 could be that book. 

I've never had a problem buying a restored book as long as I was paying the restored price.  Restored books have been vilified by the PLOD.  There are times when the right book with the right restoration becomes a solid bargain.  Just MHO. 

Just one last example: S.A. Fantastic Four #1 was  asleep for a loooonngg time until Disney purchased Fox Studios.  Suddenly what some younger collector's referred to as "A one-trick pony" found wings and became a Pegasus.  Check out the now extreme prices being paid for the Golden Record reprint.  It was always Marvel's flagship title to me and will forever be. 

Edited by Forbush-Man

When it comes to CGC restored grades we know Slight is slight and could be just the slightest thing which gives it a restored label. Moderate is moderate and has more resto than Slight or Slight/Moderate. Moderate/Extensive has more resto than the former but less than Extensive. But Extensive, where are the limits? Are there any? 

According to CGC . Extensive: Any piece fill over 2” x 2” and/or color touch over 4” x 4”. Recreated interior pages or cover.

Recreated pages or cover? So am I wrong to think by those standards a restoration project could start with one page from an actual book and the rest be "Recreations"? I don't know, just wondering where the line between Extensive and Reproduction exists.

I'm wondering why if CGC would not grade this and assumingly the other 6 and 7 figure cbcs graded restored books this seller is offering what their reasons were. Just curious but I'd love to hear the details. Unless of course it would be inappropriate to discuss in public. 

On 3/4/2022 at 8:42 PM, Krydel4 said:

This book is definitely a Ship of Theseus problem. I can get around light color touch or married cover/pages. This is something else. I always want to see before pics like a weight loss infomercial.

I was virtually certain that before and after pics would become de rigeur for restored books and that CGC would play a big part in facilitating that so people could see exactly what had been done to books, perhaps even requiring actual before and after pics, to differentiate those with minor work from those that were virtual recreations.    

On 3/5/2022 at 2:23 PM, Forbush-Man said:

Guess you never watched WandaVision either. :baiting:  Vision refers to himself as such. 

Personally, at the right price, I could see owning this book.  It's very attractive, and Detective 27's are not going to get any cheaper anytime soon.  Once books cross the $1M mark, their parts go up and coverless spike too.  I would look at this book as a value of between a VG to maybe even as high as a VG/F  unrestored value.  I dunno, but its an attractive book that's had work & one of the most sought after.  I'm old enough to remember when books like the 1 st appearance of The Legion of Superheroes were in the top 10 S.A. (maybe top 20? Don't have an old Overstreet around me to reference.)  If there is any G.A. book that could take the top spot away from Action Comics #1, I think Detective #27 could be that book. 

I've never had a problem buying a restored book as long as I was paying the restored price.  Restored books have been vilified by the PLOD.  There are times when the right book with the right restoration becomes a solid bargain.  Just MHO. 

Just one last example: S.A. Fantastic Four #1 was  asleep for a loooonngg time until Disney purchased Fox Studios.  Suddenly what some younger collector's referred to as "A one-trick pony" found wings and became a Pegasus.  Check out the now extreme prices being paid for the Golden Record reprint.  It was always Marvel's flagship title to me and will forever be. 

All valid points! And yes, any Tec 27 is awesome and is a monster book to own, no argument there.

But I do agree with Professor K's comments above. I think our general understanding is that this is not just 'any restored Tec 27', but a Tec 27 with enough extensive restoration that CGC declined to grade it because they didn't feel they could fully verify how much of it was authentic. If anyone can add a greater level of accuracy/detail to that story, please do? But that's how I remember it, and to my knowledge that's not something that's happened before.

And agree with everyone who has said that some kind of paper trail detailing where the book started and what was added would be a *huge* plus, and would clear up a lot of the mystery.

On 3/5/2022 at 2:02 PM, BLUECHIPCOLLECTIBLES said:

I was virtually certain that before and after pics would become de rigeur for restored books and that CGC would play a big part in facilitating that so people could see exactly what had been done to books, perhaps even requiring actual before and after pics, to differentiate those with minor work from those that were virtual recreations.    

This is exactly what I could see CGC doing by offering their own restoration services with accompanying documentation of the process that comes with the book/grade encapsulation.

On 3/5/2022 at 6:00 PM, DocHoppus182 said:

Oh no.  So, it’s not just the cover.  We don’t know how much of the interior is legitimate.  That is even worse.  I was always under the impression it was the cover that was pretty much totally recreated.

You may well be right. No idea. (shrug)

(Edit: I see, the label indicates there were pieces added to the interior.)

Edited by Point Five

Screenshot_20220306-085234_Chrome.thumb.jpg.236ff5dc6595d41b1e17be3737f2551c.jpg

I was wondering the same thing and Gotham kid posted in another thread that the interiors were lightened which resulted in the white pages. What went on with the " pieces added to the interior" and lightening is anyone's guess. 

On 3/5/2022 at 5:02 PM, BLUECHIPCOLLECTIBLES said:

It should be de rigueur. Especially for a book with extensive repo. But I as it is I suppose it's up to the potential buyers to request before and after pictures. And thanks for teaching me a new word. 

On 3/5/2022 at 5:35 PM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Susan ciccone?

Mark Wilson I did not have much money so he did money and trade. The Bad thing abought it now is I traded a VG Action 7 And VG Tec 34 :deadhorse:  Restoration got way better now 40 years later so if it was redone I bet it would look real nice :bigsmile: But I am an old man now :preach:

On 3/5/2022 at 7:57 PM, woowoo said:

Mark Wilson I did not have much money so he did money and trade. The Bad thing abought it now is I traded a VG Action 7 And VG Tec 34 :deadhorse:  Restoration got way better now 40 years later so if it was redone I bet it would look real nice :bigsmile: But I am an old man now :preach:

You and me both, Harold. Only difference between you and me is I don’t have a Tec 27