• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sketch Cover Green Label
2 2

37 posts in this topic

I had the artist Dave Ryan draw a cover sketch last year. Dave sent it to me with the required paperwork for his listing on a signature series cover. I then directly met with a CGC Authorized Facilitator at Awesome Con last year to get George Takei's signature on the book. I got the book back today with a Green CGC Signature Qualified Grade label. It has George Takei listed, but the only says 'Name & Sketch written on Cover'. I don't understand what happened. Has this happened to anyone before?

- Wayne Thomason

George Takei Green Lantern by Dave Ryan.jpg

The chain of custody was broken. 

it can go from artist to Cgc (or authorized facilitator) directly and still go yellow label, but if at some point it is (raw) in the hands of JUST the customer (or some random 3rd party), then all previous signatures/sketches  are no longer applicable for yellow label.

Turn around times are almost a year long. There is no way I could have sent it in for grading and had it back in time for Takei's signature.

I have one book that the artist sent directly to CGC last April. When I've asked about it's status I get the answer "Turn around time in 200 business days" - Jennifer Fuls 27OCT21 and then again "Turn around time in 229 business days" - Dean Martin 31JAN22. You look at the website now and that has gone up to 249 day.

I'd understand if it was just a signature, but this is a full sketch cover. You think they could pick up the phone and verify with the artist? The phone number was on the form. What would stop me from directly sending something into CGC with the form, how would they know?

On 3/5/2022 at 8:01 PM, Blind And Lost said:

They don't have time for that, and shouldn't have to.

Do you live in the same town/zip code as the artist?

Then why have the phone number on the form? If I were the unscrupulous sort all I would have to do is match the Zip Code on the form to the Zip Code I send it from. How would they ever know?

On 3/5/2022 at 8:31 PM, New Plan Comics said:

Form doesn't even have the zip code. So how would CGC know what Zip Code the artist lives in?

image.png.f62867492f5ccfa0abc7001cf43f3927.png

I'm sorry it turned out this way. 

CGC has always had strict rules on witnessed signatures and sketch drawings.  

The TATs certaintly complicate things with trying to get additional signatures on it. With that said, you know it's real and hopefully it's special to you! 

On 3/5/2022 at 9:01 PM, KCOComics said:

The TATs certaintly complicate things with trying to get additional signatures on it. With that said, you know it's real and hopefully it's special to you! 

I do, and it is. This was a way for me to have my love of Comics and my love of Science Fiction combined. George Takei was awesome and really liked the piece. "Why do I look angry?" I told him he just looked tough. And he was really touched by Dave Ryan's work. This is a keeper. I just wish CGC would have done the artist justice.

And what if a person added to the drawing and now it is officially recognized as that person’s art?

is that in the best interest of the artist? Or anyone?

On 3/5/2022 at 9:10 PM, New Plan Comics said:

I do, and it is. This was a way for me to have my love of Comics and my love of Science Fiction combined. George Takei was awesome and really liked the piece. "Why do I look angry?" I told him he just looked tough. And he was really touched by Dave Ryan's work. This is a keeper. I just wish CGC would have done the artist justice.

George seems like a really cool guy. I've listened to a bunch of intereviews over the years and always really appreciated his sense of humor and appreciation for the fans. 

On 3/5/2022 at 9:11 PM, revat said:

And what if a person added to the drawing and now it is officially recognized as that person’s art?

is that in the best interest of the artist? Or anyone?

Nope, not at all. Which is probably why they should contact the artist by email or phone to verify.

On 3/5/2022 at 10:28 PM, shadroch said:

It's a one of a kind piece. It shouldn't matter what color label it has, or even the grade. 

I'm actually more concerned that Dave Ryan didn't get credit for his work. Dave has done a few commissions for me now. He's a great guy on top of being an incredible artist.

I happen to be friends with Dave and he's an excellent artist. He's well known for his actor/historical "real people" likeness. This piece looks fantastic and you should be very proud of it.

Unfortunately you hit upon a bunch of flaws with CGC. I have used the authorization form for my own artwork but it certainly is inconvenient to have a book tied up at CGC for almost a year when you want the book signed at another convention maybe a month apart or so. That's the choice that needs to be made until CGC adapts their process.

In the end you made the best choice of a bad situation, because the yellow label verify's the Takei signature. Anyone who knows Dave's work will instantly recognize it.

Maybe you should contact Dave and ask if he could send you a COA, in case you ever want to sell the book, that could help clear things up.

regards,

Joshua

On 3/6/2022 at 11:37 AM, New Plan Comics said:

So looking closer at the submission form, I think this is now more a Facilitator issue.

* Only Autograph Witnessed
Submitter had sketch with CGC form on him
Was Not Witnessed BY US

Submission Failur.jpg

Yeah, it looks like he basically instructed CGC to ignore the provenance of the commission.

On 3/5/2022 at 7:48 PM, New Plan Comics said:

Turn around times are almost a year long. There is no way I could have sent it in for grading and had it back in time for Takei's signature.

Then you have to settle for green label. CGC has to certify everytime (and wants to get paid everytime).

But hey, at least the green is in theme here and the half label doesn't look too bad. Plus, the more valuable/popular component is the one that is witnessed.

On 3/7/2022 at 11:34 PM, William-James88 said:

I don't see it that way, they were just being honest. They can't lie about witnessing something they did not witness. 

The facilitator had paperwork that authorizes the sketch per CGC's COC requirements, though.