• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does a press ever hurt a books potential grade?
1 1

13 posts in this topic

I sent in a few books for pressing/grading. These books "looked" perfect to me...potential 9.8s...but I had them pressed anyway. 

Should I have just left them as is and rolled the dice or did I do the smart thing here?

On 3/7/2022 at 11:17 AM, Topnotchman said:

It depends on the experience of presser as any era of book does have potential to get damaged during pressing, newer high grade white page books are safer to press than low grade vintage with poor paper quality.  

The books are Wolverine 8 and Marvel Zombies 1 so theyre def not vintage. 

On 3/7/2022 at 2:09 PM, The Lions Den said:

One of the first questions I always ask myself is whether a book really should be pressed or not. If it's a nice high grade copy with only very minor flaws, I tend to leave it alone.

Of course, since you're talking about modern books, the search for the perfect copy seems to outweigh this somewhat antiquated strategy. I wish you the best of luck... :wishluck:

If your having a book graded, you wanna max out the grade...no? :shiftyeyes:

Id probably never press a book just to put it in a bag/board.

On 3/7/2022 at 2:54 PM, lostboys said:

If your having a book graded, you wanna max out the grade...no? :shiftyeyes:

Id probably never press a book just to put it in a bag/board.

Believe it or not, I've seen many high grade slabbed books that I had no desire to purchase... :gossip:  

On 3/7/2022 at 3:38 PM, The Lions Den said:

Believe it or not, I've seen many high grade slabbed books that I had no desire to purchase... :gossip:  

I totally believe that. (shrug)

But if planning to have a book slabbed, Id think most would wanna max out the grade on the slab?

When I slab a book in my collection, Im retiring that book... It will never be read again.

Most of the time though, Ill also have low grade - reader copy to fill that gap in the run.

On 3/7/2022 at 3:41 PM, Pancakes! said:

I'd rather have an unmanipulated copy (thumbsu

Pressing is restoration, that we agree on.

But its CGCs ball that we are playing catch with in 2022 and they dont see it that way... so we press!

:popcorn:

On 3/7/2022 at 2:41 PM, Pancakes! said:

I'd rather have an unmanipulated copy (thumbsu

Generally, I agree with you on this with the exception of one person that works on books and a relatively small number of non-color breaking issues that it's obvious to me that having them straightened out is preferable (i.e. the book was folded in half and has a tough bend in it).  Otherwise, like The Lion said, I usually like the looks of a book that hasn't been smashed into a wafer.

But there are a small few people that work on books and don't squash them into submission.  Probably less than 1% of all people claiming to be good at pressing.  The books they work on actually do look better afterward.

In answer to the OP, as stated before, yes, a lot of people who press comics can and do damage them.  As to whether or not CGC downgrades for it, that's a different issue.

On 3/7/2022 at 3:47 PM, lostboys said:

Pressing is restoration, that we agree on.

But its CGCs ball that we are playing catch with in 2022 and they dont see it that way... so we press!

:popcorn:

Agreed. If Blackstone purchases a rice paper factory then restoration methods that utilize that will no longer be restoration. 

BTW: I too consider pressing restoration. If I'm not buying an item in person, tend to seek older slabs that predate CGC and CSS getting all snugly.

On 3/7/2022 at 4:15 PM, Pancakes! said:

Good luck, I'd shoot for pre-2004 slabs. That's before CGC had their own secret pressing company PCS before buying Matt's company..

Thanks that was unknown to me.

I've been getting lucky then I was keeping it to pre-2008. Still I'd bet i have one or 2 that were affected although if I can't tell by looking at it then at least it was done nicely.

Tell you what, in person it's getting difficult to find unpressed even on inexpensive books.  Amazing how many $75 or under slabs I've seen with pressed books. IMHO is simply not worth the money to do so on those - go figure

Edited by MAR1979