• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pedigree Comics' Ultra High Grade Tower Lakes CGC Registry Sets Auction Ends Tomorrow Night, Wednesday March 9th Beginning at 8:25 PM EST!

1 post in this topic

Pedigree Comics' incredible, high grade Tower Lakes Collection Registry Sets auction ends tomorrow night, Wednesday March 9th beginning at 8:25 PM EST. The collection consists of 440 CGC certified comic books and magazines and is live right now in our March Grand Auction. The auction began on the night of Sunday, February 27th as a separate event on the Pedigree Comics website (www.PedigreeComics.com). The first lot (Amazing Spider-Man #16 9.4) ends at 8:25 PM and the last lot (Zulu #1 9.8 File Copy) ends at 11:30. There is no Buyers Premium on any of the lots in the auction and EVERY book has no reserve. Every book is CGC graded and the minimum bid is only $20 for this auction. You can view all the high grade comics in the Auction Listing right now (440 lots). Just go to the Pedigree Comics website and click on the Auction banner

The Tower Lakes Collection comes out of the suburbs of Chicago and contains an incredible group of award-winning CGC Registry Sets, including what was the #2 Daredevil Complete registry set, the #3 Daredevil #1-#80 registry set, the #3 Daredevil #1-#157 registry set and the #3 Daredevil #1-#310, the #1 Gold Key registry set (held for over 11 years) and, most importantly, the #1 Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles registry set (held for over 3 years)!! Actually, this incredible Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles set was by far the highest graded and most complete TMNT collection EVER put together by anyone since CGC's creation and is easily the best and highest graded TMNT collection ever offered at auction. In fact, the consignor was the first collector to own all 6 prints of the coveted Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #1 in 9.8!!

Amazingly, there are close to 450 comic books and magazines in the collection and EVERY ONE has off-white to white or white pages (save for one in off-white)! Besides the Registry Set books, the collection contains 9.4 and higher copies of Amazing Spider-Man #16, Amazing Spider-Man #18, Amazing Spider-Man #129, Fantastic Four #39, Fantastic four #40, Giant-Size X-Men #1, Incredible Hulk #180, Incredible Hulk #181, Incredible Hulk #182, Iron Fist #14, Iron Man #55, Tales of Suspense #52, Tales of Suspense #57, X-Men #94 plus many new ultra high grade Dells.

Again, EVERY book and magazine will be offered with no reserve amount. There are many great issues in the collection and most of these books have never been on the market or have not been in many, many years. This is the chance to upgrade your own registry sets with some of the absolute nicest Daredevils, Gold Keys, TMNT's and assorted Marvel keys ever offered for sale. This is the collector's story in his own words:

"I grew up and resided in the NW suburbs of Chicago and my introduction to funny books was via my older brother. I think I was in 3rd grade - 3rd grade summer, when I started inquiring (pestering) about his various comic books. He had Groo, Archies, Batmans, G.I. Joes, Avengers and other 80s awesomeness. After a few days of probably a pretty solid barrage of annoying and dumb questions, he eventually (begrudgingly) placed a decent stack of comics into my paws. Within 2-3 weeks (He was 6 years older and was a really good football player) I finally sacked up and started going into his room to “borrow” his comics.

After a few months of borrowing, a few months of my parents letting me put a couple in the cart at checkout in Jewel/Osco and then a few weeks of my brother letting me exchange the books he so graciously “lent” me for new titles…I had an epiphany of sorts. I realized that Groo, Snake Eyes, (obviously Storm Shadow too) and the Ninja Turtles were all so cool! But why were they so awesome I pondered? Then it hit me - they all used samurai swords!! I immediately informed my parents I must get/they must get me samurai swords.

I guess my affinity for samurai swords never left me, nor did my love for TMNT. Because upon joining the CGC Boards in 2008, I began to meet some extremely friendly Turtle aficionados from the TMNT forums. They helped spark my childhood nostalgia for the 'Green Guys'. Through the friendships made with these gentlemen, over the next decade plus, my piecemeal collection began to grow and grow through the years. With the support of my amazing Wife and both my sons loving the advent of 2012 TMNT cartoon series, my TMNT comic collecting became a family affair. It was the most enjoyable time of my comic collecting life. I soon found myself achieving certain feats in my collection that I never actually sought out to achieve. it just started happening. It occurred to me, probably around when I had acquired all six prints of #1 in 9.8, that it was plausible to one day achieve a complete TMNT Registry set in all 9.8's.

What the next owners of my beloved collection need to understand, is that all of these books that make up the #1 TMNT Registry set came into fruition only because of the fellow 'TMNT Boardies' I mentioned earlier. Without their knowledge, generosity and just overall kindness towards me and my collection, these books would never have been amassed into one collection. I’m forever grateful to them and their friendship and honored to have owned so many of these books. Thank-you gents, it’s been a privilege.

As For my Daredevil sets, I just simply loved the character and could relate to his being blind and an underdog. I loved Wally Wood's artwork and Daredevil's origin. That first issue really struck a chord with me. One thing led to another and I became obsessed with putting together a NM or better complete Daredevil collection starting in 2007. Amazingly, EVERY Daredevil issue is in a second generation CGC label/holder and all (save for a few) have off-white to white pages. The consistency of this run will blow you away!"

Here are the highlights of the Tower Lakes Collection being auctioned right now:

*WORLD'S GREATEST AND #1 TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES CGC REGISTRY SET!
This is the featured run of the auction, the world's #1 Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles set in the CGC registry. The consignor of the Tower Lakes Collection was a Turtles fanatic and put together by far the nicest collection of TMNT and related titles EVER assembled. EVERY issue in the set is a 9.8 with white pages (save for two with off-white to white) and EVERY issue is the highest CGC certified copy (save for one). Here are the highlights:

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 1 9.8 (signed by Eastman and Laird)
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 1 9.8 (TMNT Video Game promotional)
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 1 9.8 (Second Printing)
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 1 9.8 (Third Printing)
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 1 9.8 (Fourth Printing)
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 1 9.8 (Fifth Printing) (CGC Signature SERIES)
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 1 9.8 (Sixth Printing) (CGC Signature SERIES)
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2 9.8
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 3 9.8
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 3 9.8 (Variant Cover)
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 4 9.8
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 4 9.8 (Second Printing) (CGC Signature SERIES)
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 4 9.8 (Second Printing) (MANUFACTURING ERROR)
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 5 9.8 (Second Printing) (CGC Signature SERIES)
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 6 9.8 (Second Printing) (CGC Signature SERIES)
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 7 9.8 (Second Printing)
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 11 9.8
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 13 9.8
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 14 9.8
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 16 9.8 (CGC Signature SERIES)
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 17 9.8
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 18 9.8 (Second Printing)
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 28 9.8
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 32 9.8 (Second Printing)
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 47 9.8
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles The Movie 1 9.8
Fugitoid 1 9.8
Raphael 1 9.8 (CGC Signature SERIES)
Raphael 1 9.8 (Second Printing) (CGC Signature SERIES) 

*WORLD'S #2 DAREDEVIL COMPLETE CGC REGISTRY SET!
This is one of the featured runs of the auction, what was the world's #2 Daredevil Complete set in the CGC registry. The consignor of the Tower Lakes Collection began collecting Daredevil issues back in 2007. Daredevil was his favorite Marvel character and he was drawn to the super-hero's handicap (blindness) and underdog status. He also was a big fan of Wally Wood's artwork. He became obsessed with putting together a certified Near-Mint (CGC graded 9.4) or higher run of Daredevil in white or off-white to white pages. The end result was one of the greatest collections of Daredevil ever assembled: a complete 9.4 and higher run between issue #1 and #169 in no less than off-white to white page quality (starting with one of the nicest known examples of Daredevil #1, a flawless 9.6 with off-white to white pages). It is easily the most consistent Daredevil run ever put together as EVERY issue is a 9.4 (save for a bunch in 9.6 and 9.8) in the second generation CGC holder/label (which lasted from the Summer of 2003 until the Summer of 2016) and with off-white to white pages (save for some with white). Here are the highlights:

Daredevil 1 9.6
Daredevil 2 9.4
Daredevil 3 9.4
Daredevil 4 9.4 (Pacific Coast)
Daredevil 5 9.4
Daredevil 7 9.4
Daredevil 11 9.6
Daredevil 12 9.4 (Rocky Mountain)
Daredevil 16 9.4
Daredevil 19 9.4 (Pacific Coast)
Daredevil 22 9.6
Daredevil 23 9.6 (Rocky Mountain)
Daredevil 27 9.4
Daredevil 30 9.6
Daredevil 35 9.4 (Oakland)
Daredevil 43 9.4
Daredevil 47 9.4
Daredevil 48 9.4 (Rocky Mountain)
Daredevil 51 9.6
Daredevil 53 9.6
Daredevil 61 9.6 (Don and Maggie Thompson)
Daredevil 63 9.6
Daredevil 71 9.6
Daredevil 77 9.4
Daredevil 84 9.6 (Don Rosa Collection)
Daredevil 87 9.6
Daredevil 89 9.6
Daredevil 96 9.6
Daredevil 99 9.8
Daredevil 100 9.4
Daredevil 104 9.6
Daredevil 131 9.4
Daredevil 147 9.8
Daredevil 158 9.6
Daredevil 159 9.8
Daredevil 168 9.6
Daredevil Annual 1 9.6

*ULTRA HIGH GRADE GROUP OF SILVER AND BRONZE AGE MARVEL KEYS!
The Tower Lakes collector loved his Marvels and sought out Near-Mint or higher examples of his favorite characters and issues. Featured in the auction is a fabulous group of over 30 Silver, Bronze and Copper Age high end Marvel keys and gems, all in 9.4 and higher. Here are the highlights:

Amazing Spider-Man 16 9.4
Amazing Spider-Man 129 9.4
Amazing Spider-Man 194 9.4
Amazing Spider-Man 300 9.6
Eternals 1 9.8
Fantastic Four 39 9.4 (Curator)
Fantastic Four 40 9.4
Giant-Size X-Men 1 9.4
Incredible Hulk 162 9.6
Incredible Hulk 180 9.4
Incredible Hulk 181 9.4
Incredible Hulk 182 9.8
Iron Fist 14 9.8
Iron Man 55 9.8
New Mutants 98 9.8
Savage She-Hulk 1 9.8
Tales of Suspense 52 9.4
Tales of Suspense 57 9.6
Thor 337 9.8 (CGC Signature SERIES)
Transformers 1 9.8
X-Men 94 9.4

*WORLD'S #1 GOLD KEY CGC REGISTRY SET!
This incredible set has been held by the Tower Lakes collector for over 11 years!! It contains mostly highest certified (and some single highest certified) copies of all #1 Gold Key issues from the 1960's and 1970's, almost 30 in total. These books are so scarce to find in high grade, especially in strict CGC 9.4 and higher. EVERY book in the set is a CGC graded 9.4 or higher and the majority of the books are actually 9.6 and higher. This is easily the nicest group of Gold Keys ever offered for sale. There are many file copies and pedigree copies to choose from. Here are the highlights:

Atom Ant 1 9.4
Best of Donald Duck 1 9.4
Boris Karloff Tales of Mystery Story Digest 1 9.6
Bugs Bunny Winter Fun 1 9.6 (File Copy)
Dark Shadows Story Digest 1 9.4
Doc Savage 1 9.6 (Bethlehem)
Donald Duck Beach Party 1 9.6
Flintstones with Pebbles and Bamm Bamm 1 9.6 (File Copy)
G-8 and His Battle Aces 1 9.6 (Boston)
Hector Heathcote 1 9.8
King Kong 1 9.4 (File Copy)
Lone Ranger Golden West 1 9.6 (File Copy)
Mickey Mouse Album 1 9.4
Mickey Mouse Club 1 9.4
Secret Squirrel 1 9.6 (File Copy)
Smokey the Bear 1 9.4
Space Ghost 1 9.6 (Curator)
Tasmanian Devil and His Tasty Friends 1 9.4
Tom and Jerry Summer Fun 1 9.6
Turok, Son of Stone Giant 1 9.6
Uncle Scrooge and Donald Duck 1 9.6
Wart and the Wizard 1 9.6
Woody Woodpecker Christmas Parade 1 9.8
Yellow Submarine 1 9.4

If you have any questions or comments about the consignment process, any of the auction lots or about the Tower Lakes Registry Sets Collection in general, please contact Mr. Schmell at (561) 422-1120 (office) or (561) 596-9111 (cell) or at DougSchmell@pedigreecomics.com. For any financial related and consignment payment questions, please contact our CFO, Lisa Shapiro, at LisaJoy@pedigreecomics.com and for any technical related questions or concerns, please contact our Web Master at WebDesigner@pedigreecomics.com.