• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

No staple = CGC 9.6. Really?

6 posts in this topic

Hi. A have bought a few CGC comics in order to "test" the grades of my own comics. To wit, I purchased ASM 177 in CGC 9.6 from Comiclink recently. Upon receipt, I immediately noticed that it does not have the bottom staple. It appears that a stapling was "attempted," as there is a blemish where the staple should be. That said, a 9.6 is a pretty high grade and I am amazed that a no-staple comic would grade this high. Also, maybe it's just me, but I would have told someone if I was selling them a no-staple comic, regardless of whether it's CGC. As far as my "goal" of checking the standards employed by CGC, I must say that I am very happy, as I apparently have many 9.6+ comics in my collection (of course, for every 9.6, there are probably 20 "reading copies." If it's not too much trouble, I would appreciate any comments about (1) this specific situation, (2) other manufacturing defects which do or don't affect grade, and/or (3) whether it's industry standard to let the CGC grade speak for itself rather than disclose a defect. Cheers and thanks.

Thanks Red. Apparently, the answer is not as simple as I'd thought. Unfortunately, this is the first comic I've bought in a LONG time, and the first CGC ever. I stopped buying from the internet particularly because of unmet expectations. Ironically, I bought this book in order to test grade my existing comics. This book doesn't even serve that purpose because of the defect. I'll probably hock the book (anyone interested? It's a 9.6 by CGC standards!). Unlike Comiclink and CGC, I am hereby disclosing that THERE IS A MISSING STAPLE.

Thanks Red. Apparently, the answer is not as simple as I'd thought. Unfortunately, this is the first comic I've bought in a LONG time, and the first CGC ever. I stopped buying from the internet particularly because of unmet expectations. Ironically, I bought this book in order to test grade my existing comics. This book doesn't even serve that purpose because of the defect. I'll probably hock the book (anyone interested? It's a 9.6 by CGC standards!). Unlike Comiclink and CGC, I am hereby disclosing that THERE IS A MISSING STAPLE.

To be fair, comiclink is not a single entity that sells comics...people consign comics through comiclink and that specific seller did not disclose the missing staple.

To be fair, comiclink is not a single entity that sells comics...people consign comics through comiclink and that specific seller did not disclose the missing staple.

...to be really really fair, you should use the word "presumably." Also, I'm not necessarily knocking Comiclink. The fact they get some bad press from a no-name for not mentioning the missing staple is simply a byproduct of my desire to find out if this lack of disclosure stuff is standard in the industry. That said, if I WERE knocking Comiclink, I would include this quote from their website: "ComicLink's professional staff will assure accurate grading so that you know what you will receive ahead of time and you get your money's worth. Buyers can feel confident that items purchased through ComicLink will be accurately graded." Hmmm. Really? Because I feel a lot less "confident" now that I've received a comic from them.

I've always understood production defects were allowed up to 9.6.

I don't always agree with that line if thought, but what's ya gonna do...? confused-smiley-013.gif