• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Siegel and Shuster clip kind of cool.
2 2

34 posts in this topic

On 3/11/2022 at 7:38 AM, woowoo said:

I love it. I was going to buy Action comics 4 long ago with both sigs was 50 bucks short on the high bid and it was cheap. I would love to see more pics of your book. Action-4-sig.jpg.4005b90eacb35454d18ad939c0dc40b3.jpg

Oh man, I wish I had like an actual early issue with both their sigs, that would be nuts! Mine's just the Superman 1 treasury edition from 74. It has a COA signed by Richard Kyle and Jerry Siegel's wife which is kinda of cool. I think there's one for sale on Ebay. They did 250 of them.

On 3/11/2022 at 11:26 AM, LDarkseid1 said:

Oh man, I wish I had like an actual early issue with both their sigs, that would be nuts! Mine's just the Superman 1 treasury edition from 74. It has a COA signed by Richard Kyle and Jerry Siegel's wife which is kinda of cool. I think there's one for sale on Ebay. They did 250 of them.

:whatthe: The price Superman Treasury Edition #1 C-61 Signed Jerry Siegel COA 91/176 Rare | eBay

On 3/11/2022 at 11:50 AM, woowoo said:

No mine’s this one. I’ve seen my version sell for about $500-$1K, around 2 years or so ago. Not sure about that single signed one. That’s probably priced a bit high though, yeah. But they do have best offer 🤷‍♂️.

4DACEAFC-691E-47A3-A355-7B290463DCE4.jpeg

Edited by LDarkseid1

On 3/11/2022 at 11:53 AM, LDarkseid1 said:

No mine’s this one. I’ve seen my version sell for about $500-$1K, around 2 years or so ago. Not sure about that single signed one. That’s probably priced a bit high though, yeah. But they do have best offer 🤷‍♂️.

4DACEAFC-691E-47A3-A355-7B290463DCE4.jpeg

But it only has one sig and can never be as cool as yours :wavingwhiteflag:

Wow, that was fantastic... had never seen video of those two either... thanks for sharing!  Reminds us that despite his status among today's comic fans, there is no more iconic hero than Superman... that big letter "S" is instantly recognizable in every country on earth. (thumbsu 

Nice video, I had never seen that one. 

They did mention that both men settled for 25,000 a year at some point. A question I once considered starting a thread on was do you all think DC (I'm pretty sure it would have personally been Donenfeld and Liebowitz) really screw over Joe and Jerry? Did D and L really know or have any clue how successful Superman would be when they cut the deal? 

I've read all this on wiki pedia a few times and no matter how I try I get lost at the end. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright_lawsuits_by_Superman's_creators

A few parts of all that does say that DC agreed to pay then 94,000 each in 1948 but seems there were some shenanigans in the courts and they never got it. 

It says they were together paid 400,000 from 1938 to 1947. That's a lot. Not sure if it's true. The wiki entry states many offers and settlements but I have no idea if they were ever paid, such as "On October 16, 2001, Warner made an offer. Warner offered a payment of $3 million, an annual stipend of $500,000, a 6% royalty of Superman and a 1% royalty of his publications, and full medical benefits. Warner also agreed to insert the line "By Special Arrangement with the Jerry Siegel Family" in all future Superman productions.[32] The Siegel heirs accepted this offer in an October 19 letter released by their lawyer, Kevin Marks" .  

That last one sounds like a pretty good deal for the Seigels. 

So many lawsuits over the years. Anyone know what both families ever got over the years? What they get today if anything? Basically how did this end? 

Edited by Professor K
grammar correction

On 9/23/2023 at 7:02 PM, Professor K said:

Nice video, I had never seen that one. 

They did mention that both men settled for 25,000 a year at some point. A question I once considered starting a thread on was do you all think DC (I'm pretty sure it would have personally been Donenfeld and Liebowitz) really screw over Joe and Jerry? Did D and L really know or have any clue how successful Superman would be when they cut the deal? 

I've read all this on wiki pedia a few times and no matter how I try I get lost at the end. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright_lawsuits_by_Superman's_creators

A few parts of all that does say that DC agreed to pay then 94,000 each in 1948 but seems there were some shenanigans in the courts and they never got it. 

It says they were together paid 400,000 from 1938 to 1947. That's a lot. Not sure if it's true. The wiki entry states many offers and settlements but I have no idea if they were ever paid, such as "On October 16, 2001, Warner made an offer. Warner offered a payment of $3 million, an annual stipend of $500,000, a 6% royalty of Superman and a 1% royalty of his publications, and full medical benefits. Warner also agreed to insert the line "By Special Arrangement with the Jerry Siegel Family" in all future Superman productions.[32] The Siegel heirs accepted this offer in an October 19 letter released by their lawyer, Kevin Marks" .  

That last one sounds like a pretty good deal for the Seigels. 

So many lawsuits over the years. Anyone know what both families ever got over the years? What they get today if anything? Basically how did this 

I'm struggling with this as well.  My perception has always been that they got screwed.  Neal Adam's used them as the poster child when he advocated for creators in the 70s  and I can't imagine that came out of nowhere? 

Reading through the wiki page, a few things stood out. They were paid $130 collectively for Action Comics #1 and a 5% royalty for Superman proceeds. And the judge (in 1948) determined those proceeds should include radio and merchandise.  If that 5% royalty translated to the $400k ($7.1M each adjusted for inflation) between 1939 and 1948, that seems like a pretty reasonable sum. 

But I've never heard or seen any evidence that they were compensated that well.  The narrative has always been they were near broke at times because DC screwed them. Their story was a cautionary tale.  And I don't think they would sue in 1948 if they were making the equivalent of millions for Superman. 

They reached a settlement in 1948 for $94k each (over $1M adjusted for inflation) which is a nice sum of money,  but Superman was an icon at that point. A radio show, a TV show, on every lunch box and in every newspaper.  So if the $94k was all they got,  plus normal wages ($10 per page or whatever) I would say they got screwed until the 2000s when their heirs were made whole. 

I would love for someone with more knowledge to weigh in. My belief is,  they were unfairly compensated which lead Seigal to work for Marvel out of necessity in the early 60s.  When the movies came out in the 70s, Adam's and others rallied around them and they got a "small stipend" to go away.  And both men died without seeing the proceeds they deserved, though their heirs did. 

Edited by KCOComics

It would be great if someone wrote a factual history of this without emotion getting in the way. A recounting of the various suits and settlements but also a real hard look at how these guys dealt with the money they did receive would be fascinating. It seems like the money was never enough or it was not invested wisely or otherwise squandered away. It's hard to say what really happened but the old maxim, "Save for a rainy day!" comes to mind.