• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Whitman or Mark Jewelers which is more rare
4 4

48 posts in this topic

A few that have graced my collection at one timeC5D20108-9671-4A2E-9205-57647287312E.thumb.jpeg.2f0aac6dc39702f446475f7c9f7375e3.jpeg8EC58CF6-A39F-4987-A5E5-AAD83004038D.jpeg.f384b423eed13cfb04eee1a00692a8bd.jpeg73178A51-0472-4DC9-A2AC-FFB045D85958.thumb.jpeg.c026da155ffbf7f22ba903b575b6eab2.jpegthen there’s this one I still own8E102A11-7A86-436A-A379-F83EE3256CC0.thumb.jpeg.bd8ef0075da70a909a1d4432023a8121.jpegand there’s also the pizzazz inserts. I’ve happened to run across quite a few of them but can’t remember if I still have any. I don’t think they’re all that rare considering how many I’ve come across

On 3/14/2022 at 5:44 PM, fastballspecial said:

Holy :censored: those books are impossible to find in any grade.

Same thing I thought! When I saw it for sale I could not resist! 

Also I actually only purchased the DCP #22 he threw the Batman in with it !!! :cloud9:

On 3/14/2022 at 3:46 PM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

Also I actually only purchased the DCP #22 he threw the Batman in with it !!! :cloud9:

I want to dropkick you in the nads

On 3/14/2022 at 5:46 PM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

Ive found the Warlord Whitman twice over the years, but neither of those two.
The DCP22 at one point was thought to not exist years ago.

On 3/14/2022 at 5:47 PM, fastballspecial said:

Ive found the Warlord Whitman twice over the years, but neither of those two.
The DCP22 at one point was thought to not exist years ago.

DCP22 has come a long way since. January I was bidding on the CGC 8.5 that popped up on Ebay, but ended just over what I felt comfortable spending.  Really happy when this showed up for sale here on the boards! Could not be happier to add this one and just floored when I saw the other included! 

On 3/14/2022 at 9:45 AM, shadroch said:

DC Whitmans in HG are much rarer than HG Mark Jeweler copies. 

I disagree with this. Mark Jewelers books had to survive being transported overseas. Meanwhile I have several sealed Whitman multipacks with high grade books inside.

Edit: Actually I take that back partially. DC ones are definitely harder. The Marvel ones however aren't.

Edited by Beyonder123

On 3/14/2022 at 11:19 AM, revat said:

I agree, the question is fairly broad to the point where any given answer means nothing (or everything). 

Are we talking about total #'s of MJ comics ever printed vs total #'s of Whitmans ever printed?  So if I sample 1M comics ever printed, am I more likely to find a MJ or a Whitman?

Or is the rarest MJ rarer than the rarest Whitman?

Or is the average MJ rarer as a percentage of total print run of that issue rarer than the Whitmans as a percentage of total print runs for that issue?

Or for issues that have Whitman and MJ are there more total whitmans or total MJ's?

Or for issues that have Whitman and MJ are there more AVERAGE whitmans or MJ's per issue?

Or a million other variations of the question of "rarity" or comparative rarity.

Essentially you're asking if blue is better than green but not giving any criteria.

(although actually, green is better than blue).

I see your point.  I am personally interested most in the X-men/Uncanny X-men run.  Which of the two would be rarer.  You start with the newsstand run, and then I remember the MJ option which adds a new level of challenge to the collection.  Then I also remember the whitman, and now I have to find a list of which of those were even made as whitman.   

I also love the conversations which have spawned and have learned about books I never knew existed as well as other things.  So while my topic may have not been targeted enough at least I am learning new things. 

On 3/14/2022 at 6:07 PM, Beyonder123 said:

I disagree with this. Mark Jewelers books had to survive being transported overseas. Meanwhile I have several sealed Whitman multipacks with high grade books inside.

Edit: Actually I take that back partially. DC ones are definitely harder. The Marvel ones however aren't.

Were Mark Jewelers not also sold in domestic military bases? 

On 3/20/2022 at 6:01 PM, dzbad said:

Good question. They were definitely distributed overseas. Other sources say they were also distributed within US borders but I don't know where that info comes from. Maybe if someone remembers buying them while stationed in the US hopefully they can chime in. Either way I don't think whitmans were ever distributed overseas.

Edited by Beyonder123

On 3/21/2022 at 12:03 AM, Beyonder123 said:

Either way I don't think whitmans were ever distributed overseas.

I think they might have been… when you follow the points of origin for eBay sales of the ultra-rare Whitmans, some do seem to come from Europe. Uncle Scrooge 179 is a good example, as some copies seem to emerge in Scandinavia.

I bought comics at the St. Albans Naval Hospital in Queens NY in the 70s and most of them had a jewelry supplement. I have said they were Mark Jeweler books in the past, but now I am aware there was another jewelers suppliment people refer to as Nationals.  

I can state 100% that  some of the books sold at their Naval Exchange had jewerly supplements but can't say if they were Marks or Nationals. The books are long gone.

I'd  occasionally get books at Fort Totten, which was also in Queens but those did not have any supplement.  I don't remember any of the books sold at the PXs in Japan having them, but the time period might be off.

As many of the books had these supplements and National is said to have had only eight, I'm inclined to say they were Marks. 

I looked at the covers of the National books and don't remember buying any of them.  I didn't buy many 15 cent comics. I was buying 12 cent covers and then pretty much lost interest. I remember buying a couple of 15 cent Green lanterns and Justice League, but when I got back into them, the covers were 20 cents. 

Edited by shadroch

On 3/20/2022 at 9:01 PM, dzbad said:

On 3/21/2022 at 12:03 AM, Beyonder123 said:

Good question. They were definitely distributed overseas. Other sources say they were also distributed within US borders but I don't know where that info comes from. Maybe if someone remembers buying them while stationed in the US hopefully they can chime in. Either way I don't think whitmans were ever distributed overseas.

I can verify having purchased mj variants in Ft. Jackson, SC and on Lowry AF Base, CO in the early 90s

Very cool to have verification of specific sites where MJ were sold. I remember a few years back someone found a couple cpv Mark Jewelers inserts. I thought it was an error but maybe Canadian books had them too. Was anyone here stationed anywhere in Canada and bought books there and if so did any of them have inserts?

On 3/22/2022 at 7:18 PM, Beyonder123 said:

Very cool to have verification of specific sites where MJ were sold. I remember a few years back someone found a couple cpv Mark Jewelers inserts. I thought it was an error but maybe Canadian books had them too. Was anyone here stationed anywhere in Canada and bought books there and if so did any of them have inserts?

Not sure about the distribution, would be curious to find out, this is mine...

Hope someone responds :x

If just to find out more!

3285552_Full_Obv.jpg