• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

3rd (and 4th) staples in a book

14 posts in this topic

Here's an oddity I've run into a few more times than one would think..

How is the grade affected by a third (and sometimes fourth) staple (placed halfway

between the two regular stapes usually - on the spine - and running through the

book front to back)?

The books I've encountered this on would otherwise grade from 4.0 to 7.0, most of

them 4.0-5.0.

Any thoughts?

I think DiceX said this was a production thing. The first few books are run through the press and the pages are stapled together (sans cover). Then a cover is printed and attached with other staples. This results in 4 staples -- 2 through the entire book and 2 just through the pages. I have no idea if this effects the grade.

I also have an X-Men 94 with a Mark Jewelers Insert that has 4 staples through the cover. It looks like 2 staples were added to attach the MJI after the book was staples together. At first I thought someone has just snatched an MJI out of another book and done this post production. But now I'm pretty sure it's original. In a collection I bought (including this book) there were 700 MJIs. A few other books are also put toghter like this.

I think DiceX said this was a production thing. The first few books are run through the press and the pages are stapled together (sans cover). Then a cover is printed and attached with other staples. This results in 4 staples -- 2 through the entire book and 2 just through the pages. I have no idea if this effects the grade.

I have a House of Secrets # 91 just as you describe above. I wonder how many of the "first few" off the press were given this treatment, (first 10?, 50?) and also if any collectors are drawn to these "first off the press" type issues. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I have a House of Secrets # 91 just as you describe above. I wonder how many of the "first few" off the press were given this treatment, (first 10?, 50?) and also if any collectors are drawn to these "first off the press" type issues. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

SG's got it right that it was Dice, but remembers it wrong . . . it's has nothing to do with the first few issues - it was done at the end of the run using coverless seconds to make up the short in a print run, books that would have otherwise been tossed. Dice was replying to my question - I'll find it and post it here. grin.gif

How is the grade affected by a third (and sometimes fourth) staple (placed halfway

book front to back)?

The books I've encountered this on would otherwise grade from 4.0 to 7.0, most of

them 4.0-5.0.

Any thoughts?

Hey MC,

Is the extra staple "saddle stitched" to the centerfold? or stapled through both covers front to back? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

And what age books are we talking about?

book front to back)?

them 4.0-5.0.

Any thoughts?

Hey MC,

Is the extra staple "saddle stitched" to the centerfold? or stapled through both covers front to back? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

And what age books are we talking about?

Stapled through both covers front to back presumably by (ahem) consumer..

These are Silver Age books, all FFs that I've encountered this on.

In fact, I believe one of them was the FF 16 that I just posted in the Grading forum.

hi.gif

Thanks for the reply, Stronguy, but I'm pretty sure what I'm seeing has been done

by a previous owner, post-production.

I have 10-15 books like this; why somebody would want to add a staple to a perfectly fine book is beyond me... Christo_pull_hair.gif

If this was not done during production, would CGC grade this as a Slight A Restored?

Thanks for the reply, Stronguy, but I'm pretty sure what I'm seeing has been done

I have 10-15 books like this; why somebody would want to add a staple to a perfectly fine book is beyond me... Christo_pull_hair.gif

If this was not done during production, would CGC grade this as a Slight A Restored?

Good question.

And if the staple is removed....? confused-smiley-013.gif

Good question.

And if the staple is removed....? confused-smiley-013.gif

It's definitely an amateur deed, but I think it's analogous to tape repair. Removal still leaves the holes, and you could easily damage the book further while attempting to remove them. I would probably just leave them be, or decide on an issue to issue basis. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif