• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic Book Exclusives or limited print runs because inquiring minds want to know...
1 1

10 posts in this topic

I picked up an exclusive or limited print run book from Richard who owns Bedrock City and I'm curious as to what and/ or how much money it takes to get one published now days?

Here"s a few questions to start:

Does the publisher solicite the shops or do the shops have to ask?

Do you have to order a set amount of books and does it include the cover art or is that separate?

How much does it cost?

Edited by HighRadArt

1) The publishers sometimes will ask, but usually shops inquire. Most publishers are very interested in discussing exclusives.

2) There will be a set number of books agreed to beforehand. For smaller publishers this could be as few 500-1000 copies. For larger publishers 10,000 copies is an average requirement. The artwork and set-up fees may or may not be included, depending on the agreement.

3) The cost is an agreed upon percentage of cover price independent of your normal discount with the distributor, but paid on each individual book just like ordering any other new comic.

The best way to find out the exact answers to the above questions is to start calling the publishers that you are interested in and ask them directly.

On 3/16/2022 at 3:26 PM, HighRadArt said:

I can't imagine having 1000 copies to sell.  Thanks for the info Mr. Bedrock.

1000 copies may definitely take a while to sell, but if you get $50 a pop, it can be pretty worth it.

On 3/16/2022 at 12:28 PM, Tnexus said:

1000 copies may definitely take a while to sell, but if you get $50 a pop, it can be pretty worth it.

After paying for them it doesn't seem like it would be worth it for that reason alone.  I'm guessing the advertising as well? 

I recall buying a few books here in the past from a few boardies.  JJ and Larry's comics -  Haven't seen either of them here in a long time.

On 3/16/2022 at 8:29 PM, MrBedrock said:

1) The publishers sometimes will ask, but usually shops inquire. Most publishers are very interested in discussing exclusives.

2) There will be a set number of books agreed to beforehand. For smaller publishers this could be as few 500-1000 copies. For larger publishers 10,000 copies is an average requirement. The artwork and set-up fees may or may not be included, depending on the agreement.

3) The cost is an agreed upon percentage of cover price independent of your normal discount with the distributor, but paid on each individual book just like ordering any other new comic.

The best way to find out the exact answers to the above questions is to start calling the publishers that you are interested in and ask them directly.

I love reading such books. Comics are the best. I had a huge number of them as a child. But now I'm grown up and I'm having problems in college. I found accounting homework help, used https://edubirdie.com/accounting-homework-help for this. Sometimes a person just burns out like me and needs a break. I decided to take advantage of this and took all the comics from my parents. I want to read them all now.

Thanks for the info Mr. Bedrock.

Edited by MerryTwice2