• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does a store's info sticker on a FCBD cover affect the grade?
2 2

10 posts in this topic

I've a Free Comic Book Day cover that a store slapped a sticker in instead of using a stamp. How much does this affect the grade?  And would it be worth trying to remove, or is the amount of damage too risky? 20220320_151329.thumb.jpg.37c3e254d5a56eaa4c293069fa200712.jpgOr does it actually provide a preferred provenance?

On 3/20/2022 at 6:22 PM, 1337pino said:

I've a Free Comic Book Day cover that a store slapped a sticker in instead of using a stamp. How much does this affect the grade?  And would it be worth trying to remove, or is the amount of damage too risky? 20220320_151329.thumb.jpg.37c3e254d5a56eaa4c293069fa200712.jpgOr does it actually provide a preferred provenance?

I would get CGC's opinion. The only 9.8s I have personally ever seen are on unstamped, unstickered FCBD books.

On 3/21/2022 at 2:48 PM, Kevin.J said:

I know a store price sticker is a killer :cry:

60161770_TMNT1CGC.thumb.JPG.9d5421e88d8577627f8a153d6f7c8129.JPG

31852513_TMNT1aCGC.thumb.JPG.41fe82aa628c0098dac47cd7a5381992.JPG

So is the Celebrity Authentics sticker, Kev.  Before they got everything nailed down with Signature Series, there were a number of books that got the sticker stuck on the books themselves - including one of my Charmed books.  It would have been 9.6-9.8 and sits in a 7.5 holder.

On 3/20/2022 at 6:22 PM, 1337pino said:

Store stamps or store stickers on FCBD books will get you a green Qualified label. (Unless you request a universal label, then they may/may not honor the request: If they DO honor the request then then stamp or sticker will negatively affect the grade)

This is from experience, not just speculation.  And from my experience, best case on an otherwise 9.8 (9.8 qualified) book is 9.0 as a universal with the stamp/sticker taken as "defect".

Next is speculation: I'd guess removing the sticker would result in damage or residue that would affect the grade more negatively than leaving the sticker and requesting a universal label.

On 3/21/2022 at 7:22 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

This would not affect the grade, as that area is intended for an addition like this.

Unfortunately this absolutely will affect the grade. (Though I 100% agree it SHOULDN'T because this area is indeed intended for this purpose)

On 3/21/2022 at 5:04 PM, Fisionbomb said:

Unfortunately this absolutely will affect the grade. (Though I 100% agree it SHOULDN'T because this area is indeed intended for this purpose)

Yeah, I've seen other FCBD books where the LCS just slapped the sticker onto a random spot, so I'm glad this issue at least kept it in the designated area

On 3/21/2022 at 5:01 PM, Fisionbomb said:

Store stamps or store stickers on FCBD books will get you a green Qualified label. (Unless you request a universal label, then they may/may not honor the request: If they DO honor the request then then stamp or sticker will negatively affect the grade)

This is from experience, not just speculation.  And from my experience, best case on an otherwise 9.8 (9.8 qualified) book is 9.0 as a universal with the stamp/sticker taken as "defect".

That's great to hear since I knew the answer was never gonna be "CGC won't care and will just ignore it".  I could live with that as the collection owner.  Like I said, it at least tells me a story of where it came from.

On 3/21/2022 at 8:04 PM, Fisionbomb said:

Saw one a year or two ago that got a 9.8 with the sticker on it. Honestly don't feel like trying to find the thread, though.