• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need advice on dealing with a Presser who lost two of my books- where to post this?
6 6

100 posts in this topic

On 3/22/2022 at 11:19 AM, 1Cool said:

How do two people agree on a FMV of a raw book that may have been improved with the press?  If the books had been graded then it would be a no brainer but raw books fluctuate so much that i can see how one person would say it's a $800 book and the other go with $400 based on recent sales and the uncertainty of the grade before and after the press.  I hope the two parties get it worked out.

This is why you shouldn't lose someone's books. While of course I think there should be some kind of reasonable agreement on FMV, in this case you have to side with the guy whose books were lost. Or at least closer to his value then the other guy's value. 

On 3/22/2022 at 11:55 AM, wombat said:

This is why you shouldn't lose someone's books. While of course I think there should be some kind of reasonable agreement on FMV, in this case you have to side with the guy whose books were lost. Or at least closer to his value then the other guy's value. 

100% agree that it should go that route if the person wants to keep their name clean but I don't know how the two parties came up with the FMV of the book.  Is the presser using recent sold sale prices and the original guy looking to get full graded value of the book based on a press bumping the book?  I'd hope the two parties could maybe meet in the middle but I agree the best course of action is to not lose multiple books.

Assuming the presser also owns comics but can’t easily come up with the cash, perhaps the presser can offer  some comics as a trade, well in the customer’s favor of course.

but if he’s got too many big insurance claims that’s not the customer’s problem at all.  File your claims, make your customers whole, and if it’s no longer profitable or sustainable, end the business.  Not every business works out, and that’s fine.

Edited by revat

Hello,

I need the boards help regarding a dispute I have with a presser.   He lost two of my comics and has offered to pay me amount much less than their value.

I’m not saying the name of this person- I replaced his info with 'Presser' in the email string. I don’t want to share his info if I’m out of line on this.

The comics are Hulk #180 and X-Men #94.

In April of last year I sent 48 books to X for pressing and forwarding to CGC, he processed the 46, but called me in early June to tell me that these two were stolen.  He apologized and said he would keep me updated; his attorney sent me a couple of emails about the process.

Later, on June 24th he emailed me those comics were not lost, he had misplaced them instead and they were working on them.  Later on the phone He said he would submit the two without charging me because of the mix-up.  I said thank you for the kind gesture.

In February of this year I called him to see if the two books had been submitted.  He said he wasn’t sure and then said they were lost.  Needless the say this was a shock.   We then began to talk about options to resolve this via text.

Below is the text string – This is my first action since that last text. 

Bottom line is we agreed on a value of 6.0 for each book.

He offered $900 based on combined 2020 GPA values and I want $2,100 for 2021 GPA values.  Since he led me to believe he had the comics as recently as June 24th, 2021, reimbursement value should be based on that.

I am asking your advice – your thoughts?

EMAIL STRING:

Presser

Feb 17, 2022, 9:59 AM

to me

As best as I can tell, they both look like they would be 6.0's ish after press, would you agree?

-Presser

Chris Hooper <chris.t.hooper@gmail.com>

Feb 17, 2022, 1:07 PM

to Presser

Hi Presser,

I think that's about right.  What's the best way to find the value?

Chris

Presser

Feb 23, 2022, 9:20 AM

to me

I use gpanalisys.com. This tracks sold cgc books,  and then I look at 6.0 2021 average.

Hulk 180 averaged $550

X-Men 94 averaged $370

Raw is worth less, but to be fair I give the books the benefit of the doubt.

So I would be willing to do a total settlement of $950.

Feb 24, 2022, 4:49 PM

to Presser

Presser, 

I think using GPA works, however you used 2020 averages. 2021 averages are $954. and $1175.  

That totals $2,129.

I would except that.

Chris

Presser

Feb 25, 2022, 7:56 AM

to me

Okay,  but it's including time after incendent, so your value includes data after the fact. My original offer stands, and is fair considering the books are raw. 

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone
Get Outlook for Android

Sent: Thursday, February 24, 2022 4:49:24 PM

Feb 25, 2022, 6:15 PM

to Presser

Presser, 

Your email said you would use 2021 numbers from GPAanalysis, but you quoted 2020 numbers.

You need to stick to your word and use 2021 numbers.

As recently as a few months ago you said you would submit the comics and pay for the cgc grading and slabbing cost because of the delay. 

When I followed up with you, you tell me you didn't have them.  What am I to believe?  First you say they're stolen now you can't find them even though  you implied you had them. 

This is not acceptable. 

Chris 

Presser

Feb 26, 2022, 8:22 AM

to me

2021 was a typo. I am sorry about this whole ordeal.  Total losses exceed 60k, but insurance payout was 35k. I am taking a huge loss,  in an attempt to make everyone else whole. 

This isn't a buy and sell,  this is me trying to do the right thing. I can't afford what you are requesting. 

Keep in mind we are using GPA average, but I could be going be lowest sale. 

While my offer isn't a boon, I feel it's within the fair range,  and I won't be pressured for more. 

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone
Get Outlook for Android

Sent: Friday, February 25, 2022 6:15:43 PM

Feb 27, 2022, 10:06 AM

to Presser

This is not acceptable Presser.

I empathize that the theft was a bad deal and very expensive for you.  Our issue is a separate matter and I should not be shortchanged because of that. You have a responsibility to make this right.

You received my books, told me they were stolen, then told me they weren't stolen, then told me you lost them and now want to pay me much less then they are worth. I want to resolve this, but not at $900 using 2020 values.

I am trying to think of ways to solve this:

Do you have any comparable slabbed books?  

If we can't come to an agreement, then I will pursue other options such as court, BBB etc.

Chris

His numbers do seem pretty low considering the current raw prices for those books.  I'd say $800 - $850 for both books seem to be fair for raw Fine copies.  Maybe quote recent sales on e-bay and ask for $1,600 as a fair number.

While I can appreciate the presser has not been fully reimbursed by insurance (which means he has a bad policy/insurance agent - the first goal of insurance is to return the insured to where they were as though the incident hadn't happened.  He's either underinsured or can't prove the total loss) this does not absolve him of his responsibility to you.  Typo or not, he set the reimbursement value at 2021 GPA.  Tough to wriggle out from under that.

On 3/23/2022 at 11:25 AM, Funnybooks said:

Dylan destroyed CgC...probably not him :cheers:

I would stand your ground. He needs to make you whole.

good luck

He has not responded to the last email- not sure how I get the money unless it's small claims court...

On 3/23/2022 at 11:28 AM, 1Cool said:

His numbers do seem pretty low considering the current raw prices for those books.  I'd say $800 - $850 for both books seem to be fair for raw Fine copies.  Maybe quote recent sales on e-bay and ask for $1,600 as a fair number.

If I were to comprimise that could be a possibility.   Thanks for throwing that out.

On 3/23/2022 at 11:30 AM, Pontoon said:

Why is the OP starting another thread about this when the original is just a few posts down, still on the first page?

I did not know that thread would be moved to Comics General and did not look for it.... my bad.  This thread has all the detail not included in the original thread.

Things I would consider:

1.  Possible timed payment plan.

2.  Possible Partial Trade

3.  His financial problems aren't really your problem, UNLESS he's actually bankrupt.  Otherwise, he still should be available to get money to you, even if its hard or inconvenient for him.  If he's gotta close down the business and liquidate assets or comics, that super sucks for him, but he's gotta make you whole.

4. Sounds like the details are pretty heavily in your favor if you're considering small claims court.

On 3/23/2022 at 2:34 PM, iexx said:

He has not responded to the last email- not sure how I get the money unless it's small claims court...

If he has not responded to your last email, it becomes apparent that you will have very little recourse than to take him to small claims and/or disclose his name. I would send another email and an official, certified letter to his business address.
Would this presser happen to be here on the boards? You may be able to enlist an intermediary, a friend, here to communicate your intentions.

On 3/23/2022 at 11:41 AM, Funnybooks said:

If he has not responded to your last email, it becomes apparent that you will have very little recourse than to take him to small claims and/or disclose his name. I would send another email and an official, certified letter to his business address.
Would this presser happen to be here on the boards? You may be able to enlist an intermediary, a friend, here to communicate your intentions.

Thanks for the advice Funnybooks.  I do not know if he is on the boards, but I like the idea of an intermediary.

Wait, his attorney sent you emails last April when he was claiming they were stolen??

I ... would be very interested in, first, confirming those messages are from an actual, practicing attorney. Then, if they are, I would consider sending said attorney a politely worded letter including the full record of communication, wherein you point out that his client agreed on a reimbursement value to make you whole for his negligent action, and is now attempting to break that agreement also. You should nicely suggest that, if you are not made appropriately whole, you will be required to "contemplate other action".

If you got emails from an "attorney" that isn't actually, you know, an attorney, that's a different kettle of fish entirely. I hate to even suggest that's a possibility here, but... well... Do your own due diligence here.

There's no way that I would be willing to accept goods of equitable value (e.g., other slabs) from this guy at this point, because frankly, nothing in this timeline instills very much trust. YMMV, of course.