• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What packaging to hand off to CGC in at a convention?

10 posts in this topic

Hi, if physically giving a book to CGC at a convention to take for grading, what should I put it in for best protection? Regular bag and board, box etc? And will I get this packaging back with my graded submission if it's something I want returned?

Also, if I want to do a reholder of a book with the older label, will the old inner well fit in a new outer case or would the whole thing need to be redone? I'm assuming it wouldn't go in a "new" older version of the old-style case. Thank you-

• Administrator

Good morning, thank you for your message.  When submitting at a show, you should have your books bagged and boarded and also have your packing slip completed and ready to go.  Your packaging will not be able to be returned, unfortunately.  

When submitting for a reholder, everything will be replaced and given the most updated version of our inner well and holder.

If you have any other questions, please let us know.  Thank you!

On 3/22/2022 at 6:24 AM, Jennifer F. said:

Good morning, thank you for your message.  When submitting at a show, you should have your books bagged and boarded and also have your packing slip completed and ready to go.  Your packaging will not be able to be returned, unfortunately.  

When submitting for a reholder, everything will be replaced and given the most updated version of our inner well and holder.

If you have any other questions, please let us know.  Thank you!

Hi, so for the second question, you mean to say that if it's in the older kind of case and I just want to pay for a reholder, CGC will not simply move the existing inner well but will replace the entire thing? Is there going to be a complete regrading in that instance whether I want it or not? Wanted to do the reholder simply to cut down on the risk of rehandling, as a very old comic. Thank you-

• Administrator
On 3/23/2022 at 5:40 AM, The Green Ghost said:

Hi, so for the second question, you mean to say that if it's in the older kind of case and I just want to pay for a reholder, CGC will not simply move the existing inner well but will replace the entire thing? Is there going to be a complete regrading in that instance whether I want it or not? Wanted to do the reholder simply to cut down on the risk of rehandling, as a very old comic. Thank you-

Hello, yes, generally everything is replaced when you submit for a reholder.  The grade of the book should not change unless any damage occurred to the book post encapsulation.  

Thank you!

On 3/23/2022 at 6:09 AM, Jennifer F. said:

Hello, yes, generally everything is replaced when you submit for a reholder.  The grade of the book should not change unless any damage occurred to the book post encapsulation.  

Thank you!

One more q if I may- would a book graded by another company like CBCS need to be paid for as an entire new grading as if from scratch, or could it qualify as a "reholder"? I wouldn't expect CGC to necessarily agree with the same grade, but I would like to save money if I can if just moving it from one encapsulation to another. Thank you.

• Administrator
On 3/23/2022 at 12:18 PM, The Green Ghost said:

One more q if I may- would a book graded by another company like CBCS need to be paid for as an entire new grading as if from scratch, or could it qualify as a "reholder"? I wouldn't expect CGC to necessarily agree with the same grade, but I would like to save money if I can if just moving it from one encapsulation to another. Thank you.

Hello, yes, we would have to regrade any book that was previously graded by another company.  The only books that would qualify for our reholder service are books that were graded and encapsulated by CGC and are still in the CGC holder. Thank you!

• Administrator
On 9/8/2022 at 7:38 PM, Ann BW said:

If I get a book signed at NYCC, can I submit that same book to the CGC booth for the upcoming Mark Waid private signing to get the yellow label on both signatures? Thank you!

Hello, As long as CGC witnesses the the initial signature, we would accept this book to be submitted for an in-house private signing for you to receive the signature series certification for both of these sigs. Let us know if you have any other questions!

On 9/9/2022 at 9:10 AM, MattM CS said:

Hello, As long as CGC witnesses the the initial signature, we would accept this book to be submitted for an in-house private signing for you to receive the signature series certification for both of these sigs. Let us know if you have any other questions!

Would i still fill an order online for the mark waid event and submit it to cgc when they do the paperwork for the witnessed signature? Thanks you've been very helpful.

• Administrator

Hello! Yes you would still fill out an online form for this signing. Please bring both copies of this packing slip with you to the show. Once you have had this book signed and witnessed, please bring it back to our booth with the Wait Packing Slip. Our team will be able to help you out with receiving the book for this singing at that point. Let us know if you have any other questions!