• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

eGerber Mylars / Fullbacks...Do they fit together?

16 posts in this topic

I've never used anything other than the bags and boards from local comic shops. Recently I starting researching higher end stuff for some of my more expensive comics. eGerber MyLites and Fullbacks seem to be the number one suggestion. Before I spend the money on them I wanted to ask if anyone uses them together? They get high reviews but I did read one person who said that they were not able to get a book into the bag when using a fullback because of the thickness. There were no details on what book they were trying to get in there or what age the book was so I wanted to get some feedback from folks who have used them together and see what the experience was.

I am not sure how you will proceed with the sizing of the boards, but I live an Europe and had a very limited range of E. Gerber products at my disposal, so I was only able to buy (as a set) Mylites 4 (the thickest Mylites) and Half-Backs, specifically in the Silver & Gold size. Practically all of my books are bronze and more recent so I was able to fit two books into each bag (the verdict is still pending on that one hm) but I noticed that, when trying to shove the half-backs into the Mylites without any books inside of them yet, there's a slight overhead, meaning the board doesn't go all the way through. Now, either my batch of half-backs was defective or Mylites 4 are just that tight, so I can't even imagine how it is to handle Mylites 4 with Full-Backs! Still, these are the thickest Mylites we're talking about. I doubt you'd find the same issue with Mylites 2 and lower.

Possibly, and I only say this with a leap of logic and no personal experience, Full-Backs may be a bit tough to get into the Mylites 2, but with a bit of care and elbow grease I'm sure you'll get them right in there! Be careful with how much force you apply, though. When you reach the end, slowly push as hard as you feel the board will move, any more than that and you'll do like I did and rip one of the top edges of your bag by about half an inch.

Edited by TheHulkCollector

On 3/21/2022 at 8:52 PM, Shaun03 said:

I've never used anything other than the bags and boards from local comic shops. Recently I starting researching higher end stuff for some of my more expensive comics. eGerber MyLites and Fullbacks seem to be the number one suggestion. Before I spend the money on them I wanted to ask if anyone uses them together? They get high reviews but I did read one person who said that they were not able to get a book into the bag when using a fullback because of the thickness. There were no details on what book they were trying to get in there or what age the book was so I wanted to get some feedback from folks who have used them together and see what the experience was.

First of all I imagine this person may have been trying to put a book into a bag of the incorrect size. I've never had an issue.

Second, you may find this thread useful:

Finally, as with many other items during the pandemic, supply chain issues have created a shortage of product. Prices are currently 2x-4x higher than normal when you can find them.

Thanks everyone for the replies. My best guess at this point is that the post I read about not fitting is either due to trying to fit the wrong sizes together, as several have mentioned, or it was an usually thick book and just needed a bigger size. I'm going to order some and start getting my books transferred over since some of my bags have seen better days.

On 3/22/2022 at 6:28 PM, The Velcronomicon said:

Was it this guy putting two issues in one Mylar4? :eyeroll:

Yes, I know he has posted in this thread :devil:

It wasn't that post, I don't remember where it was that I read it. Some further reading on 2 vs 4 has brought some posts on Fullbacks not fitting all the way into the 4s so that may have been the issue. I'm going to go with the 2s and Fullbacks, if I can find some that aren't crazy expensive right now, and see how that goes.

@The VelcronomiconYes that is me, and again, the boards did not fit into the bags properly with no comics inside of it. If you're just judging my practice of placing two comics per bag, you're more than entitled to do so but I've not only seen accounts of issues with Mylites 4 and the corresponding board fitting together but I also got a lot of answers on that post and elsewhere that validated my storage choice.

EDIT: I also noticed I made a glaringly dumb mistake with my first reply in this post @Shaun03 so I hope my explanation is clearer now that I've edited it.

Edited by TheHulkCollector

I use half backs and mylites and have never had a problem. Most likely someone got the wrong sizes. However, it isn't like it's impossible that they got the correct sizes but were errantly given the wrong sizes, either miss labeled or mistakenly shipped.

On 3/23/2022 at 9:26 AM, TheHulkCollector said:

@The VelcronomiconYes that is me, and again, the boards did not fit into the bags properly with no comics inside of it. If you're just judging my practice of placing two comics per bag, you're more than entitled to do so but I've not only seen accounts of issues with Mylites 4 and the corresponding board fitting together but I also got a lot of answers on that post and elsewhere that validated my storage choice.

EDIT: I also noticed I made a glaringly dumb mistake with my first reply in this post @Shaun03 so I hope my explanation is clearer now that I've edited it.

Hey Hulk. Your response was understood and I have found other posts that talk about the boards not fitting all the way into the Mylites4s so it's not just you. I think if I was going to display any of the books then the 4s might be the way to go, but they will all be stored in boxes so the 2s should do just fine. If I do decide to display any in the future, I would probably spring to have them graded so they are protected in case anyone decides to take a closer look at them.

On 3/23/2022 at 10:00 AM, ComicFill said:

I use half backs and mylites and have never had a problem. Most likely someone got the wrong sizes. However, it isn't like it's impossible that they got the correct sizes but were errantly given the wrong sizes, either miss labeled or mistakenly shipped.

That is also a possibility. I know I've ordered things in the past and have been sent entirely wrong items, so it wouldn't be a stretch to have the wrong size bags or boards grabbed and shipped out.

On 3/22/2022 at 9:45 AM, Pontoon said:

First of all I imagine this person may have been trying to put a book into a bag of the incorrect size. I've never had an issue.

Second, you may find this thread useful:

Finally, as with many other items during the pandemic, supply chain issues have created a shortage of product. Prices are currently 2x-4x higher than normal when you can find them.

Thanks for the link to that article, it was very informative. I have noticed that the places that do have eGerber in stock are charging quite a markup at the moment. It might be a little bit before I can get my collection into the mylars, but at least now I have the knowledge to know what to order.

I called eGerber and I was told that all orders are 10 weeks out and I can't place an order for Fullbacks until May, so I assume it will be 10 weeks after that to get them. Are there any other bags and boards out there that are similar? If I have to wait then I have to wait but I'd like to get something sooner than 4 months from now.

On 3/31/2022 at 8:44 PM, Pontoon said:

Thanks, I appreciate the link. It looks like their 42mil boards aren't available either and their bags are about 3x the cost of eGerber. I can find some eGerber stuff on ebay for around that price. So it looks like I'm either paying a high price or having to wait. Hard times for trying to protect my collection.

For anyone still following this thread, I want to give a heads up that eGerber is supposed to be taking orders for Fullbacks again soon. I called them about a month ago and they said they would be taking orders for the Fullbacks on the 9th or 10th of this month. Shipping at the time for items in stock was 10 weeks out so I imagine that won't be any different. I also found an alternative I like, Crystal Clear backing boards. They are spendy but you can order them and they ship quick. They aren't something most would want to use on all of their comics because of the price, but if you some high value comics and can't find the Fullbacks, they are made of mylar like the MyLites and are available.