• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to submit Venom Lethal Protector #1 black error?
1 1

18 posts in this topic

Do I just submit it as the regular version and let CGC figure it out, or do I hedge my bets and denote it as such on the form to be sure it'll get the proper notation? Since it's impossible for anyone to say on their own with 100% certainty if it's the error or not. I don't want to have to overpay the insurance based on a misassumption if CGC decides it's just the regular version after all. Not looking for opinions on my own copy, just what everyone else who submits this comic has done.

Edited by The Green Ghost

On 3/21/2022 at 8:30 PM, jokiing said:

How about a picture of your Venom so that we can help determine if it's actually a variant?... since you're not 100% sure

It's hard for me to upload pics but I'm pretty sure. Asking more as a general principle about this book and how others submit it.

On 3/21/2022 at 8:57 PM, The Velcronomicon said:

You choose the submission tier by how much you want to insure the book for. If it's worth more than $400 to you it can't be submitted under Modern.

Yeah, that's what I meant. Do I need to presume it's the error variant to even have a hope of it being notated that way, or if I'm getting the book grade anyway just submit it as a regular copy and hope it works out? I think it's a special case because most every other book is what it is.

On 3/23/2022 at 4:07 AM, The Velcronomicon said:

Not on this board. All you have to do is post a picture of the book.

I don't want to know or care if you think it's the error or not. I'm asking what everyone who gets this book graded does. And I'm pretty sure the answer from CGC is not "post on the board first and have people who don't work for us judge your comic ahead of time." This is when the board gets frustrating, when people refuse to be helpful and it becomes a game of withholding an answer to a legitimate question (how does one submit any error comic to CGC since nothing is ever a certainty) like we're in kindergarten.

Say for argument's sake everyone says it's the error version, so what? It doesn't mean CGC will agree. Conversely if you say it isn't, that doesn't help me in any way if I want to still try to submit it to CGC that way. Still doesn't give me the answer if they'll figure it out on their own. They certainly won't notate it however I want just because I submitted it that way.

On 3/21/2022 at 10:14 PM, The Green Ghost said:

Since it's impossible for anyone to say on their own with 100% certainty if it's the error or not.

???

It's impossible for anybody who possesses any knowledge and intelligence to not say with 100% certainty if it's the error or not

On 3/23/2022 at 11:24 AM, The Green Ghost said:

I don't want to know or care if you think it's the error or not. I'm asking what everyone who gets this book graded does. And I'm pretty sure the answer from CGC is not "post on the board first and have people who don't work for us judge your comic ahead of time." This is when the board gets frustrating, when people refuse to be helpful and it becomes a game of withholding an answer to a legitimate question (how does one submit any error comic to CGC since nothing is ever a certainty) like we're in kindergarten.

Say for argument's sake everyone says it's the error version, so what? It doesn't mean CGC will agree. Conversely if you say it isn't, that doesn't help me in any way if I want to still try to submit it to CGC that way. Still doesn't give me the answer if they'll figure it out on their own. They certainly won't notate it however I want just because I submitted it that way.

?????????

:facepalm:

How can anybody even attempt to help somebody who posts nonsense like this?

The point is for the submission tier, is if they lose the book, HOW MUCH MONEY DO YOU WANT THEM TO GIVE YOU BACK.  If YOU are submitting the book thinking its the black error (which you will denote on the submission form), you probably want more for the book.  If you want to pay less and you can make a reasonably good faith argument your book is near the borderline, just submit it as such.  They'll bump it up and charge you more if they decide you're wrong, but that doesn't happen usually unless its egregious and in obviously bad faith.

I guess all in all, there's no huge penalty for submitting on the lower tier, OTHER than possible delay if they bump up the tier themselves and have to notify you then charge you again then wait for your approval, then move it to another queue, do more paperwork/accounting, etc.  

Also, the answer would depend somewhat on the grade. If you have a 10.0 black error or a 1.5 black error, the answer will probably be different.  Act in defensibly good faith and you'll be ok.

On 3/23/2022 at 9:49 AM, Lazyboy said:

???

It's impossible for anybody who possesses any knowledge and intelligence to not say with 100% certainty if it's the error or not

If you read what I said you would know I wasn't asking whether it was the error or not, but why let that get in the way of your usual snotty attitude, right? You're always there to offer an unhelpful word since everyone lets you get away with it, don't mistake that for being "right."

On 3/23/2022 at 9:27 PM, The Green Ghost said:

If you read what I said you would know I wasn't asking whether it was the error or not, but why let that get in the way of your usual snotty attitude, right? You're always there to offer an unhelpful word since everyone lets you get away with it, don't mistake that for being "right."

Your premise is insane. It might be impossible to help you because you're just too far outside the realm of reason here.

On 3/21/2022 at 10:14 PM, The Green Ghost said:

I don't want to have to overpay the insurance based on a misassumption if CGC decides it's just the regular version after all.

:screwy: But of course you're not "asking whether it was the error or not". :eyeroll:

CGC might mislabel it, just because they're so good at messing up, but they won't somehow decide it's not the error version if it actually is. They've graded lots of copies and it has its own entry in their system, unlike the vast majority of manufacturing defects.

On 3/23/2022 at 11:24 AM, The Green Ghost said:

I'm asking what everyone who gets this book graded does.

Everybody who gets this book graded knows what they have and submits it as such. Anybody with a brain also creates and saves images of their books before submission, so showing us yours shouldn't be a big deal, whether it's the error or not.

On 3/23/2022 at 8:05 PM, Lazyboy said:

Your premise is insane. It might be impossible to help you because you're just too far outside the realm of reason here.

:screwy: But of course you're not "asking whether it was the error or not". :eyeroll:

CGC might mislabel it, just because they're so good at messing up, but they won't somehow decide it's not the error version if it actually is. They've graded lots of copies and it has its own entry in their system, unlike the vast majority of manufacturing defects.

Everybody who gets this book graded knows what they have and submits it as such. Anybody with a brain also creates and saves images of their books before submission, so showing us yours shouldn't be a big deal, whether it's the error or not.

Do you just insult people to feel superior or smug all the time? And if it's such a no-brainer, I didn't see you or anyone besides the one gentleman trying to answer my original question instead of five posts demanding pics. Showing pics had nothing to do with what I wanted to know and is just another typical dogpile here where people smell blood in the water. I know what I have. Not what I was asking.

You always come in to snidely mock or deride someone, and you've done it to me several times on threads where I wasn't bothering anyone. You think because you don't curse you have the high ground (such as "anyone with a brain"), but you must be absolutely miserable if this is the way you constantly want to make yourself feel better.

This shouldn't really be complicated. If you have an error copy, you submit it as the error (and claim the appropriate replacement value), if for no other reason to protect yourself in case of loss in transit. If it's not the error, you should not submit it as the error. There's not really a lot of calculus there; you should always submit books to CGC as whatever they actually are.

You seem unconvinced as to whether your book is the error or not. The Lethal Protector black error is pretty visually distinctive. There are some ways to produce counterfeit copies, but most of those tend to be pretty obvious, because they don't actually look that much like legitimate ones. This isn't a case where you have to determine the weight of the paper used to identify the printing (as with at least a couple undergrounds) or examine fine details of print quality (as with... I don't know, the Cry for Dawn counterfeits, or something), or straight-up consult a Ouija board (as with Eerie #1, which CGC won't even attempt to authenticate). It's not a special case. Many people on this board have handled copies of this error before and are quite familiar with how it appears. That's why you were asked to share pics.

From what you've posted, though, your primary motivation in asking seems to be coming up with a way that you can submit this book with the intent of getting it slabbed as the error, without paying the higher tier of processing that the value of the error would demand. No one is going to help you do that. And, for that matter, CGC won't allow that either; if you have an error copy and try to lowball your submission by claiming it's the normal book, CGC can (and, assuming this is the error, will) charge you what you should have paid had you submitted it correctly. Furthermore, you open yourself up to considerable risk of loss doing that; conceivably, if you mislabel your submission and the book is damaged, lost, or destroyed in transit, you've opened yourself to being "made whole" merely with a copy of the normal book, because that's what you claimed you had. So, again, don't do that.

If only there were some way that others could help you confirm what it is you have...

On 3/24/2022 at 5:21 AM, The Green Ghost said:

Do you just insult people to feel superior or smug all the time? And if it's such a no-brainer, I didn't see you or anyone besides the one gentleman trying to answer my original question instead of five posts demanding pics. Showing pics had nothing to do with what I wanted to know and is just another typical dogpile here where people smell blood in the water. I know what I have. Not what I was asking.

You always come in to snidely mock or deride someone, and you've done it to me several times on threads where I wasn't bothering anyone. You think because you don't curse you have the high ground (such as "anyone with a brain"), but you must be absolutely miserable if this is the way you constantly want to make yourself feel better.

Stop wasting our time. It's not like you're actually going to submit it this time, any more than you did last time you were :blahblah:ing about the book.

I did answer your question. It's not complicated. You have to know what you have and submit it as such. Anything else opens the door to problems for you. But you're just another whiner who doesn't want to have to pay to play.

On 3/24/2022 at 2:18 PM, Three Six Two Four Three Six said:

He wants to know if he can get reimbursed for the one Mylar he's going to use before he hands the book in:

You need to stop. What you're doing is inappropriate and slimy. I can ask whatever I want just as anyone is free to clearly not answer it. What you don't have a right to do is link to multiple posts I make in an attempt to mock me, which is exactly the disappointing culture around here. If your life is so empty that you want to go through my entire post history to make yourself feel big in some way, you are truly pathetic.

There are a lot of assumptions being made here and most all of them are off base such as how "cheap" I am and trying to swindle poor CGC. Many of you are acting like children, and I was correct in my assumption that you like kicking the can and just wanted to demand pics when it served no purpose because you felt I was beneath you, or because you felt I was out to get a free buck and wanted to silence me. I got my answer, and yet the whining and derision still continues. This certainly says more about your lack of character than my own.

On 3/24/2022 at 12:21 PM, Lazyboy said:

Stop wasting our time. It's not like you're actually going to submit it this time, any more than you did last time you were :blahblah:ing about the book.

I did answer your question. It's not complicated. You have to know what you have and submit it as such. Anything else opens the door to problems for you. But you're just another whiner who doesn't want to have to pay to play.

And you're a bully who talks down to people and finds situations to try to embarrass them or belittle them because it gives you imagined power. I wasn't asking you anything and the question had been answered, but you like to insert yourself into drama and then never quit until you get the last word. Would you like me to link to that? So stop whining indeed.