• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman #181, double cover
1 1

13 posts in this topic

Does having (2) covers make books more valuable? My Batman #181 (Poison Ivy) has two, and the inside one is fantastic. I have to ask since I never hear much about this, although I know it has been known to happen. Thnks. Sorry, I had to edit again. Yes, the batman and robin 2 page pinup is still stapled in as it should be.

20220328_141351_-_Copy_(2)[1].jpg

Edited by Drewdeibel

On 3/27/2022 at 3:37 PM, Drewdeibel said:

Does having (2) covers make books more valuable? My Batman #181 (Poison Ivy) has two, and the inside one is fantastic. I have to ask since I never hear much about this, although I know it has been known to happen. Thnks.

Pics would be nice to see :foryou:

I would love to see pictures. 

Double covers are obviously rarer. I wouldn't say they always add more value, but in this situation, with a Key book, I would think it would. I imagine collectors would pay-up a fair amount to own a unique copy of this book. 

Usually when CGC grades them, the grade represents the better of the two covers, but they'll note the grade for each cover. 

A double cover would certainly double or triple the value. A dealer friend recently sold NTT Annual 2 (1st Vigilante) vg newsstand for $120 and What If Elektra had not died for $70 at auction .. both double covers.. one day auctions in a closed group also!

Edited by littledoom

A double cover will double or triple the value of most common books, but I doubr a double cover AF 15 would double because of it. 

I have no idea what the most expensive double cover has gone for, I've never really seen a key book that has one. I sold a DC Superman-Flash race for over double GPA for it, but it was a 6.0. I doubt a 9.2 would have gotten double GPA.

also, your first pic in the original post has a name and address.  Generally, I'd advise against posting those publicly.  

On 3/27/2022 at 3:37 PM, Drewdeibel said:

Does having (2) covers make books more valuable? My Batman #181 (Poison Ivy) has two, and the inside one is fantastic. I have to ask since I never hear much about this, although I know it has been known to happen. Thnks.

20220328_141344_-_Copy[1].jpg

20220328_141351_-_Copy_(2)[1].jpg

More valuable, sure.  It makes it more collectible.  Meaning there are people willing to pay more for that.  Ignore those saying that book would be worth "double or triple".  That's ridiculous. A $500 book is not worth $1,000 or $1,500 just because it has an extra cover. Never. 

More importantly would be if the pin-up is still stapled inside.