• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CLOSED: EC Golden Age Slabs: Haunt of Fear #17 Shock Suspenstories #7, 13 Tales From the Crypt #23 Vault of Horror #30 Weird Fantasy #8 Weird Science #11, #16 Weird Science Fantasy #27
3 3

34 posts in this topic

On 3/30/2022 at 7:50 PM, Point Five said:

Hmm, I can kinda see both sides of this one. I understand Ghastly's point, that it's annoying that the seller is making the same offer to multiple parties. It would probably be more courteous, and less apt to lead to bruised feelings, to make the counteroffers one at a time and wait for an acceptance or rejection on each. And put buyers #2 and #3 'on hold' until the conversation with buyer #1 is resolved. 

But to be entirely fair, any time a buyer enters into negotiations for a discount rather than just taking the book outright, they run the risk that someone else will scoop them.

I would agree with you except for one important point, the person who claimed it did so based on a PM just like me. If he had just said take it at the asking price, there would be no problem.

On 3/30/2022 at 10:57 PM, Ghastly542454 said:

I would agree with you except for one important point, the person who claimed it did so based on a PM just like me. If he had just said take it at the asking price, there would be no problem.

I hear you; it's frustrating for sure and I've been there too. But once you start negotiating, you're pretty much at the seller's mercy and (IMO) they can do with your offer as they wish. I'm not sure what rule is being violated.

I’m glad I don’t deal in higher end stuff.  When I put something up for sale, I may not respond to anyone contacting me for hours.  Then I’d have my hands full trying to figure out what’s what…:pullhair:

871EBB99-E50F-413F-9C6E-D3852D3D60C0.gif

On 3/30/2022 at 8:32 PM, Ghastly542454 said:

I learned an important lesson. If I come to an agreement with a seller on a price, I’m not going to ask them if I should post it in the thread. I’m just going to do it! No need for permission.

Yeah, I always do that, I assume my accepted dm offers aren't official until I post my "take".

The point here is a simple one.

If negotiations go on by pm, they are simply that, negotiations.

I've had people virtually begging for a book, and offering a stated amount below the asking price. While I have been considering it, and then accepted it. They've come back with an excuse while they no longer want the book.

I'm also sick of the sob stories people use to try and get a discount.

'Well, I really like your book, but I've spent a lot already this month and the wife ain't too happy'

Puh-lease, either grow a pair or control your woman.

What people will do for a dollar off. meh

I can see both sides here as PF said, but in my view the seller is blameless.

GG out.

On 3/31/2022 at 4:14 AM, Galen130 said:

I’m glad I don’t deal in higher end stuff.  When I put something up for sale, I may not respond to anyone contacting me for hours.  Then I’d have my hands full trying to figure out what’s what…:pullhair:

871EBB99-E50F-413F-9C6E-D3852D3D60C0.gif

Change your avatar. It disturbs me.

On 3/31/2022 at 4:29 AM, AlphaOmega said:

This is more of a discussion for the marketplace general thread but I have been communicating directly with Ghastly to better understand the concern as seen by my DMs above.  I use the same process for offers that eBay uses. That is, if more than one offer comes in, especially on multiple books, I counter each one in order. The first buyer who agrees to the counter via PM wins (posting a 'claim per PM' at the same time helps).  In this case, I received a DM from an earlier negotiation, within a minute or so before Ghastly's DM, accepting the offer.

Waiting for each offer to conclude has its own issues as some board members do not reply for awhile, if ever.  I did some searching tonight on the forum for guidelines or suggestions but did not find any.  None the less, I will be updating my sales thread rules to clarify this situation where there may be more than one negotiation in progress.  I tell potential buyers in my negotiation DMs that there are multiple offers in progress but will make it more clear by stating this in my rules going forward.

If anyone has suggestions or better, a link to a board discussion on recommendations for handling multiple offers, I'm all ears and we can take this discussion over there.

I don't think you violated any rules per se.

But there is a simple way to avoid this in the future

'I settle all perceived ties...my decision is final'

You could add, I am God, or something like that...but that might be overkill.