• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Swamp Thing #5
4 4

17 posts in this topic

Those huge creases, multiple scratches and other damage are all pretty damning; this is probly about a 2.5.

On 3/31/2022 at 1:53 PM, Axe Elf said:

Those huge creases, multiple scratches and other damage are all pretty damning; this is probly about a 2.5.

Is that something a cleaning/pressing can do anything about now that they are there, or is it unfixable?

On 3/31/2022 at 12:55 PM, ComicMarty said:

Is that something a cleaning/pressing can do anything about now that they are there, or is it unfixable?

I'm not an expert on pressing and cleaning, but as I understand it, the process can alleviate bends and warping and spine rolls and the like, but it can't do anything about adding color where color has been broken, such as in creases or scratches.

Cleaning might help some of the soiling, esp. on the back cover, but really, the grade is driven more by the scratches, creases and spine damage more than the soiling.  Maybe you get to 3.0, 3.5 with a clean and press?--but the major defects will remain.

On 3/31/2022 at 3:28 PM, LowGradeBronze said:

I'm at 3.0 on this copy. (Did you know that a 4.0 can be had for $10? How much money are you going to spend making your 3.0 into a 3.5? Just putting it in context.) 

I mean you do have a point there 

I guess since a 3-3.5 graded value is around or slightly under what I paid for it, I was hoping there would be some way to get it to do more than just break me even

But from what I’m getting is this is a low grade enough copy that it would cost way more than the book is worth just to bring it up half a grade and that’s just not worth it 

I admit to being disappointed by this prognosis, but I can’t say I’m surprised at all

Thank you for your input 

On 3/31/2022 at 11:41 PM, Februus said:

3.0 on this .. don’t get too bummed out on this. It will help you on your future purchases.  Not really losing anything (investment wise) and you’re gaining knowledge and experience. 

Good outlook 

You are right

On 3/31/2022 at 10:05 PM, ComicMarty said:

I mean you do have a point there 

I guess since a 3-3.5 graded value is around or slightly under what I paid for it, I was hoping there would be some way to get it to do more than just break me even

But from what I’m getting is this is a low grade enough copy that it would cost way more than the book is worth just to bring it up half a grade and that’s just not worth it 

I admit to being disappointed by this prognosis, but I can’t say I’m surprised at all

Thank you for your input 

Overpaying for low grade comic books is where we're at right now! The low grade end has seen high demand due to the stratospheric rise among higher grades. Even ten years ago many of these were cheap. Now, I shrug and pay up if I really want it. (Even as I mutter 'This would have been half the price a few years ago.') :preach:

Edited by LowGradeBronze

On 4/6/2022 at 9:54 AM, Galen130 said:

C&P isn’t worth the effort…3.0.

Yeah...that’s me wishful thinking to get a little more ROI

Which of course makes no sense since spending *more* money on it isn't going to magically make it worth more than I payed for it

I have learned a lot from this one and will at least try to not set my Hope high on a book that looks like this

I will say, not that it matters now, it looked way better in its bag and board...

On 4/6/2022 at 4:47 PM, ComicMarty said:

it looked way better in its bag and board...

They always do.  :)

I think that's why a lot of sellers only post pics of their mags boarded and bagged; it makes it a lot harder to tell a 1 1/2" spine split from a reflection on the plastic.