• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Captain Marvel #1 replaced staples? And repaired tear?
1 1

6 posts in this topic

Hello, I recently got an issue of this comic in a mystery box that I only paid 40 dollars for so that’s got me sketch to begin with. But the condition isn’t the best….so it might be justified? Anyways, what I’m most worried about  are the staples. Idk, they seem pretty untouched to me given the age on on the inside middle of the book, the do look perfectly aligned as they should, but there are frays next to the staples where it looks like they could have been removed previously? Also, there’s som big gashes on the front cover where it almost looks like it should have caused a gash or tear but on the front inside cover there is little to no indentations of where the gash is just a crease if anything. Idk anything about restoration, so any help would help. 

88D76B3E-1597-4839-B243-599302EF60DA.jpeg

82AA014D-F96D-4D37-B9F3-F0EC10E4D172.jpeg

14194D8F-C079-4C81-A85B-11EAF5A4B9E8.jpeg

BA6A1DC2-9B71-4A38-B17C-4EE715256E40.jpeg

933C00F7-4A68-4837-94CD-9704D8AD5C6E.jpeg

On 4/1/2022 at 6:01 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

I'm just not seeing enough to suggest to me that they've been replaced.

Agreed. Nothing compares to having the book in hand for evaluation, but those don't immediately look like replaced staples from these photos.

As for the physical damage to the front cover, it's not too unusual to see surface scrapes and the like that don't necessarily look as bad from the inside front cover. Also, honestly, I can't imagine that anyone attempting restoration on a book would go to the trouble of sealing front cover tears but not retouch color (especially against a fairly uniform background). I certainly can't rule out shenanigans in this book's past, but I think it's pretty likely just what it appears to be.

I agree with my fellow board members.  

The staples don't appear to have been tampered with and the front cover wear and tear looks normal. Tears on the cover will usually be sealed by applying small pieces of tape or minor amounts of glue. Tape repair is usually easy to see and with glue repair you can often feel it or see it if you look very closely. 

From what I can see, this book appears to be resto free...  :foryou:

On 4/1/2022 at 8:37 AM, Qalyar said:

I can't imagine that anyone attempting restoration on a book would go to the trouble of sealing front cover tears but not retouch color (especially against a fairly uniform background)

Oh yea, duh, that makes complete sense. Was just immediately sus one I pulled it out of a mystery box for only $40. But it’s beat up enough to warrant it being included lol. Can y’all spare a grade? I have more pics or should I just post in it’s proper thread?

On 4/1/2022 at 1:36 PM, bj6524 said:

Oh yea, duh, that makes complete sense. Was just immediately sus one I pulled it out of a mystery box for only $40. But it’s beat up enough to warrant it being included lol. Can y’all spare a grade? I have more pics or should I just post in it’s proper thread?

Tough to say without better pictures but the front cover looks to be somewhere in the Very Good range...