• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archival tape and detached centerfold

21 posts in this topic

Let's say I have a book that has a detached centerfold.  Let's say it gets a blue label 7.0.

What would be the effect if I had taken two small pieces of archival tape and reinforced the two staple areas and generally gotten the centerfold reattached?

On 4/1/2022 at 1:16 PM, The Lions Den said:

It would likely be given either a Conserved label or a Restored label.   

But potentially at a higher grade (assuming that it was the detached centerfold that led to the 7.0).

EDIT: Meant to end that with a ?

Edited by GlennSimpson

On 4/1/2022 at 2:42 PM, Sold! said:

Yeah but it will be Conserved or Restored :facepalm:

Here's what happens with scotch tape:

https://www.cgccomics.com/news/article/3327/CGC-Modifies-Stance-on-Grading-Submissions-with-Tape/

I just watched a video where a guy used a ton of archival tape to reconstruct a tattered book and he got a blue-label 1.0.

The other things is, I can read the following (from the CGC announcement) two ways:

"...CGC will modify its grading standard and ignore the presence of tape if it serves a function (such as fixing a tear or spine split) and instead grade the book as if it was not present. Therefore, any existing defect will be graded accordingly. "

So there is a tear, with tape holding the tear together.   I read the above as either:

a. They grade it as if it has the tear, but don't take off additional for the tape.

b. They grade it as if it doesn't have the tear, since the tape is fixing it.

I assume the former, but it's not clear.

On 4/1/2022 at 6:48 PM, Sold! said:

Where's the "ton" of archival tape? Inside only? That DD doesn't look tattered either (shrug) It might be a Blue because he used fancy scotch tape that's not comic book archival or professional (meaning reversible).

It's the only thing holding like 3 of the spreads, including the cover, together.  It's even on the outside.

Looks pretty bad to me, maybe it doesn't meet your definition of tattered (but then, I don't think books in "Good" condition are in good condition).

And I specifically mentioned archival tape in my original post.

So everybody keeps acting like the "Conserved or Restored" is some sort of obvious thing, when a) this guy used far more tape than I mentioned and didn't get Conserved or Restored and b) the release about Scotch tape doesn't mention Conserved or Restored.  

On 4/1/2022 at 6:49 PM, Sold! said:

Seems pretty clear to me (shrug)

I guess it comes across as weird to think that they would dock me for a detached centerfold when the centerfold is no longer detached.

Edited by GlennSimpson

On 4/1/2022 at 7:45 PM, GlennSimpson said:

The other things is, I can read the following (from the CGC announcement) two ways:

"...CGC will modify its grading standard and ignore the presence of tape if it serves a function (such as fixing a tear or spine split) and instead grade the book as if it was not present. Therefore, any existing defect will be graded accordingly. "

So there is a tear, with tape holding the tear together.   I read the above as either:

a. They grade it as if it has the tear, but don't take off additional for the tape.

I can tell you this: Most collectors I know don't like tears or tape. I think you're ahead of the game right now...

Edited by The Lions Den

On 4/1/2022 at 7:21 PM, GlennSimpson said:

At the top of the video is the link to the "back from CGC" video.

That video made me shudder - that is a good deal amount of low quality tape (I don't care the guys calls it 'archival' tape, it isn't - that scotch tape might be 'acid-free' but it is nowhere close to archival) but I not too surprised with the final grade. It does present very well and so long as they noted the extensive tape on the label I'm fine with it (though would have been happier this being marked Restored. Nowhere close to being Conserved)

Just a random question for people who collect Playboys; is there a special grading designation for "lightly used" centerfolds?

On 4/3/2022 at 1:02 PM, Sauce Dog said:

That video made me shudder - that is a good deal amount of low quality tape (I don't care the guys calls it 'archival' tape, it isn't - that scotch tape might be 'acid-free' but it is nowhere close to archival) but I not too surprised with the final grade. It does present very well and so long as they noted the extensive tape on the label I'm fine with it (though would have been happier this being marked Restored. Nowhere close to being Conserved)

Actually, CGC won't usually hit a book with scotch tape repair for resto, but it would normally receive a note on the label...  

On 4/1/2022 at 7:45 PM, GlennSimpson said:

In this case, I'd go with option A...

On 4/3/2022 at 6:26 PM, The Lions Den said:

Actually, CGC won't usually hit a book with scotch tape repair for resto, but it would normally receive a note on the label...  

Which is one of the weirdest stances in my opinion; as someone using document repair tape (safer and far less damaging than scotch tape) would get hit with restoration even when the intent behind both is the exact same :( 

On 4/3/2022 at 6:36 PM, Sauce Dog said:

Which is one of the weirdest stances in my opinion; as someone using document repair tape (safer and far less damaging than scotch tape) would get hit with restoration even when the intent behind both is the exact same :( 

In the ever-changing world of CGC grading, you may want to double check their current policy on that one. I have heard different opinions on this subject lately. And if the centerfold isn't completely roached, you may be able to have someone reattach it to at least one staple...an even better solution, IMHO.  :foryou:

On 4/3/2022 at 6:55 PM, The Lions Den said:

In the ever-changing world of CGC grading, you may want to double check their current policy on that one. I have heard different opinions on this subject lately. And if the centerfold isn't completely roached, you may be able to have someone reattach it to at least one staple...an even better solution, IMHO.  :foryou:

I've asked around, both CGC directly and other restoration/conservation pros, and honestly its all been different uncertain answers. I have a few books with various levels of conservation work done on them that I've submitted as a test, one uses document repair tape, so I can at least personally gauge where CGCs stance is right now (so sometime in the next few months I'll have a solid answer one way or another)

Edited by Sauce Dog

CGC's stance on tape repairs is clear as far as grade goes. Since they modified their stance  April 2013, tape can never improve the grade of a book. If the tape serves a purpose - like reattaching a cover or centerfold - then the book is graded as though the cover or centerfold is still detached. If the tape serves no purpose, then the tape is treated as a defect and graded accordingly. 
https://www.cgccomics.com/news/article/3327/CGC-Modifies-Stance-on-Grading-Submissions-with-Tape/#:~:text=After consideration of the expressed,book as if it was

Archival tape is a bit less clear. It is listed as a material used in conservation repairs, but there are books out there with archival tape repairs that are blue labels. So not clear what that means. Could be as simple as the graders are not able to always tell if the tape they see on a book is archival. 
https://www.cgccomics.com/news/article/4083/