• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Signatures

Golden Age Signatures  

31 members have voted

1. 1. For Golden Age books, does a cerified signature make the book more desirable to you?

• Yes, a signature always adds value.
    • No, I'd rather not have anything written on the cover.

20 posts in this topic

As long as it isn't a modern artist on it, I'm okay with it. show me a vintage Captain america with Rob Leifields signature, or a 1940s Batman with Stan Lee's signature and I'll pass.   I'm in the market for a righteous Schomburg signed book but have not found the right one.

On 4/6/2022 at 8:29 AM, Mr. Lady Luck said:

Golden Age Signature Poll

Great topic! (thumbsu

Since we're focusing on GA books, many prominent collected artists passed away long before the availability of signature certification (i.e., witnessed signings).  IMO, the fill-in-the-blank name "...written on cover" just comes across like an insult to the memory of the artist and to the collector who cherishes the book (OMMV).  There should also be a poll query indicating a preference of signature verification, but since that service isn't offered by the CGC it's understandable why it's inapplicable to this poll.  hm

FTR, I'm not a big fan of certification or signatures generally, but there are rare exceptions...

e8119860-1880-4b85-b293-cbbc6972796f_zpsknphsohf.jpg.01435206a40e7db99671519a072fccef.jpg

On 4/6/2022 at 10:09 AM, comicjack said:

I prefer the original owner put his name on a cover or inside now that is history :luhv:

From my perspective, the orig. owner's name is great when it's designated as a pedigree demonstrating the owner's passion for collecting a good quantity of comics and preserving them in grade.

Otherwise, I tend to prefer no writing or just an occasional non-obtrusive store stamp or distributor's mark. 

On 4/6/2022 at 1:36 PM, Northwest said:

I prefer internal page signatures, such as on the bottom of the first story page. :preach:

Agreed - with very few exceptions, every book out there with a signature(s) on the cover has been defaced...your preferred spot is where they should go.

Edited by pemart1966

On 4/6/2022 at 5:00 PM, Mosh It Up said:

:gossip: ECs aren't Golden Age (tsk)

That's a technicality, and technically ...my opinion... they still fit! GA reflects all early comics, starting with Famous Funnies #1 (called the Platinum Age; Note: In this timeline Obadiah Oldbuck is BC aka Before Comics) till the introduction of the CCA (Comics Code Authority), following the Wertham meteor impact when everything cratered.  

Viewed as an analogy, think of comic history correlated to natural history, the great dinosaurs evolved during the Mesozoic era's three periods, comprised of Triassic (comics arising from the Paleozoic newsstand landscape from nascent 10 cent pamphlet of newspaper Sunday funnies reprints), Cretaceous (growth of reptilian giant's domination and longest period of success, and in respect to comics evolution, the birth and development of super hero popularity) into the Jurassic (pre-code horror and GGA aka great googly-oogling good girl art) when things got a lot hotter.

Think of the Comics Code as comic history's cataclysmic extinction event that ended the great dinosaur's reign.  Those lumbering giants would die out quickly, mercilessly, as temperatures cooled.  Only small mammals survived into the Tertiary Period (also known as the namby-pamby era), but fertile well grounded SA would evolve from it.  The rest is history! :grin: 

:cheers: 

Edited by Cat-Man_America
additional ale!