• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Worldwide WW2-Interwar - Comics, propaganda and more
4 4

142 posts in this topic

Testimonianze No_8 (Asso di Spade No_14bis, 1952)
Copy B

This is part of a series of neo-nationalist magazines featuring heavy anti-American criticism from the post-war.
The covers feature original illustrations by Gino Boccasile which were used on propagandistic material during the war, notably the front cover is a famous Italian poster of the RSI period, with Italy in full-swing civil war. Mark Bryant wrote in his book, “World War II in Cartoons” (1989): «In Gino Boccasile's famous Italian poster depicting the cultural barbarism of the American troops, the black American sergeant, his features transformed nearly into a gorilla's face, grasps Greek art treasures, ludicrously under priced with animal savagery.»

There are two different versions of this publication, which was briefly seized when it came out, this is a copy with the "Fascicolo No_8" issue number tag.

Some foxing on the upper part of the front cover, smudge along the spine, but this copy is really nice (the colors as well), a bit nicer than the other, I’d say in FN range.
(The other copy is still available here on page 2).
Asking $55 / 52€ :news: SOLD to gunsmokin

Spoiler

dLeLn1S.jpg

7b3Uxe1.jpg

Edited by vaillant
SOLD

On 4/29/2022 at 3:00 PM, vaillant said:

Copy B

This is part of a series of neo-nationalist magazines featuring heavy anti-American criticism from the post-war.
The covers feature original illustrations by Gino Boccasile which were used on propagandistic material during the war, notably the front cover is a famous Italian poster of the RSI period, with Italy in full-swing civil war. Mark Bryant wrote in his book, “World War II in Cartoons” (1989): «In Gino Boccasile's famous Italian poster depicting the cultural barbarism of the American troops, the black American sergeant, his features transformed nearly into a gorilla's face, grasps Greek art treasures, ludicrously under priced with animal savagery.»

There are two different versions of this publication, which was briefly seized when it came out, this is a copy with the "Fascicolo No_8" issue number tag.

Some foxing on the upper part of the front cover, smudge along the spine, but this copy is really nice (the colors as well), a bit nicer than the other, I’d say in FN range.
(The other copy is still available here on page 2).
Asking $55 / 52€

dLeLn1S.jpg

7b3Uxe1.jpg

I’ll take it.

On 4/29/2022 at 10:13 PM, gunsmokin said:

I’ll take it.

Thank you! You can see pictures of the inside pages in the entry for the other copy, here.
(Pictures of the insides, just to show them, were taken from a third copy purchased via PM by another board member, but they are obviously the same). 

Spirou Special Nöel 1944 (Dupuis)

VF-

This is a special (not numbered) issue from the 1944 year run of the french journal Spirou, featuring this merry cover with the character parading in a jeep with American soldiers.

«Paris had been occupied by nazist Germany since the signing of the Second Compiègne Armistice on 22 June 1940, when the Wehrmacht occupied northern and western France. The liberation of Paris happene 19 August 1944 until the German garrison surrendered the French capital on 25 August 1944. The liberation, which took place at the end of the Battle of Normandy, was a moment of great military and political importance, symbolizing the German defeat on the Western front and the end of the occupation of France.
Although Paris was liberated, there was still fighting elsewhere in France. Large portions of the country were still occupied a and fighting went on in Alsace and Lorraine in eastern France during the last months of 1944 until the early months of 1945.»

The issue, although not numbered, has all the regular features following from the previous one, spare single 1944 issues are usually in the 25-45€ price range depending on condition, this one gained more and more interest and is sought after by collectors.

This copy is really gorgeous, with minimal defects and fresh paper, so I am pricing it accordingly (all the copies that I have had except my keeper copy were way worse).
Asking $150 / 138€ :news: SOLD to MusterMark

8T21kgp.jpg

Edited by vaillant
SOLD

Sciuscià (French edition) #24 (S.A.G.E., 1949)
Copy B - FNVF

I have purchased two other copies of the Sciuscià's French edition issues with the nice war-themed covers by Pierre Frisano (thanks @Scrooge! ).
Selling these two separately. This copy of #24 is very nice, except for a small bit out of the bottom right corner (see pictures).

Digest sized. Information about the series here, in the original post.

Asking $15 / 14€ :news: SOLD to MusterMark

Spoiler

0oyRamP.jpg

Edited by vaillant

Sciuscià (French edition) #35 (S.A.G.E., 1949)
Copy B - FN

This copy of #35 has a bit of wear but still a solid midgrade one. Rust on the (single) staple.

Information about the series here, in the original post.

Asking $12 / 10€ :news: SOLD to MusterMark

Spoiler

XZasdt9.jpg

Edited by vaillant
SOLD

On 4/29/2022 at 1:32 PM, vaillant said:

VF-

This is a special (not numbered) issue from the 1944 year run of the french journal Spirou, featuring this merry cover with the character parading in a jeep with American soldiers.

«Paris had been occupied by nazist Germany since the signing of the Second Compiègne Armistice on 22 June 1940, when the Wehrmacht occupied northern and western France. The liberation of Paris happene 19 August 1944 until the German garrison surrendered the French capital on 25 August 1944. The liberation, which took place at the end of the Battle of Normandy, was a moment of great military and political importance, symbolizing the German defeat on the Western front and the end of the occupation of France.
Although Paris was liberated, there was still fighting elsewhere in France. Large portions of the country were still occupied a and fighting went on in Alsace and Lorraine in eastern France during the last months of 1944 until the early months of 1945.»

The issue, although not numbered, has all the regular features following from the previous one, spare single 1944 issues are usually in the 25-45€ price range depending on condition, this one gained more and more interest and is sought after by collectors.

This copy is really gorgeous, with minimal defects and fresh paper, so I am pricing it accordingly (all the copies that I have had except my keeper copy were way worse).
Asking $150 / 138€

8T21kgp.jpg

Take It

On 4/29/2022 at 2:26 PM, vaillant said:

Copy B - FNVF

I have purchased two other copies of the Sciuscià's French edition issues with the nice war-themed covers by Pierre Frisano (thanks @Scrooge! ).
Selling these two separately. This copy of #24 is very nice, except for a small bit out of the bottom right corner (see pictures).

Asking $15 / 14€

0oyRamP.jpg

Take It

On 4/29/2022 at 2:28 PM, vaillant said:

Copy B - FN

This copy of #35 has a bit of wear but still a solid midgrade one. Rust on the (single) staple.

Asking $12 / 10€

XZasdt9.jpg

Take It

On 4/29/2022 at 11:46 PM, MusterMark said:
On 4/29/2022 at 10:32 PM, vaillant said:

VF-

Asking $150 / 138€

8T21kgp.jpg

Expand  

Take It

On 4/29/2022 at 11:50 PM, MusterMark said:
On 4/29/2022 at 11:26 PM, vaillant said:

Copy B - FNVF

Asking $15 / 14€

0oyRamP.jpg

Expand  

Take It

On 4/29/2022 at 11:50 PM, MusterMark said:
On 4/29/2022 at 11:28 PM, vaillant said:

Copy B - FN

Asking $12 / 10€

XZasdt9.jpg

Expand  

Take It

^^
Thank you! Spirou Special Nöel 1944 and the two Sciuscià french edition go to MusterMark.

:news: Updates:

@Comics-n-ERB’s package is on its way to USA via DHL.
@thecollectron's package has also been mailed today via Registered Mail. :)

Next: I hope to list more journal single issues and lots, another copy of Spirou Special Nöel (lower grade) and a copy of Waldl (the author of "Lacht Ihn Tot"!) second book, retelling in cartoons his experience in a POW camp after the war. And hopefully more.

Thank you so much for making this sales thread such an engaging thing: it has been prompting me to work more on my research, acquire new items, look for further copies of the more rare material and (hopefully) start to write something about the authors which are less known to the american and english-speaking comics collectors.

On 4/8/2022 at 1:53 PM, vaillant said:

Copy C

Hard to grade these due to the paper, I’d say in the VGFN range or so.
Asking $49 / 44€

Sy5lsSr.jpg
ysxmP6a.jpg

Pictures of inside pages:

sOLylcB.jpg
3fqVBE1.jpg
J721D9A.jpg
j1HySZE.jpg
zDNzDFz.jpg

:takeit:

On 4/30/2022 at 5:01 AM, IngelsFan said:
On 4/8/2022 at 10:53 PM, vaillant said:

Copy C

Hard to grade these due to the paper, I’d say in the VGFN range or so.
Asking $49 / 44€

Sy5lsSr.jpg
ysxmP6a.jpg

Pictures of inside pages:

sOLylcB.jpg
3fqVBE1.jpg
J721D9A.jpg
j1HySZE.jpg
zDNzDFz.jpg

Expand  

:takeit:

Thank you very much!

I hope to be able to post a few more items tomorrow… I was also waiting for an item but in short I will probably wrap up the thread.
I wanted to allow those which waited to eventually have the opportunity to add to their purchases. Thanks much everyone so far for all the interest! :)

On 4/29/2022 at 10:32 PM, vaillant said:

VF-

Asking $150 / 138€ :news: SOLD to MusterMark

8T21kgp.jpg

Spirou is a Belgium newspaper made in Marcinelle near Charleroi that's why the 🇧🇪 flag is first on the jeep.

On 5/3/2022 at 7:26 PM, DenisColt said:

Spirou is a Belgium newspaper made in Marcinelle near Charleroi that's why the 🇧🇪 flag is first on the jeep.

Right, but I was reasoning in terms of language, not country. And in terms of cultural areas. In this sense, the Franco-Belgian scene (and even the Flemish cultural areas) are in many ways coinciding, or closely related, with all the due differences (I am thinking of the success of Willy Vandersteen in French, for example, and the fact is inversely very little known in English).

On 5/4/2022 at 4:32 PM, vaillant said:

Right, but I was reasoning in terms of language, not country. And in terms of cultural areas. In this sense, the Franco-Belgian scene (and even the Flemish cultural areas) are in many ways coinciding, or closely related, with all the due differences (I am thinking of the success of Willy Vandersteen in French, for example, and the fact is inversely very little known in English).

It's true and it's not, Bob et Bobette are still important in Belgium now but I never saw any in France in a casual bookshop. The only copies that you could find in French were in the collectors field, because the publications in le journal de Tintin in the 50's made them know. And if you take main artists like Martin Toonder or Hans Kress there is about nothing translated.... In fact there's, according to Belgian people, three culture in their country, wallon, flemish and Brussels because there is a specific mental and also (even if not anymore) a proper language.