• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Worldwide WW2-Interwar - Comics, propaganda and more
4 4

142 posts in this topic

Hi everyone! :)
this sales thread will feature material from various countries related to World War 2 (and the interwar period), comics and other illustrated printed stuff.

Some of this material is pretty scarce or rare, some is uncommon, most are duplicates from a research I have been conducting in the last 6-7 years
I think a good portion of american collectors may be unfamiliar with a number of these items.

IMPORTANT: Each item will have a double price in USD / Euro. If you are paying in Euro via bank transfer I will apply a 5% discount.
Payment methods accepted: Paypal, bank transfer (Wise, or other methods). In case I already know you, International Bank transfers are fine.
Please no people on the HoS or Probation list.

I will combine shipping costs and try to have the less expensive options from Italy.

You can find my kudos thread here.

Beware: I am based in Italy. Postage costs are pretty high, so check the table below.

Rules: The first :takeit: (icon or text) in thread wins. You can purchase by PM but at your own risk – I will go by time stamp.

Shipping rates: I ship from Italy. Rates indicatively as follows (Zone 1 is Europe and UK, Zone 2 is Americas, Asia and Africa, and Zone 3 Oceania).
I am inclined to use Registered, as Airmail does not have a tracking number, but if we’re acquainted and you’re willing to take the risk I can ship via regular Airmail or with a cheaper option which could take more time.
For total amounts of over $300 I will ship to USA through registered courrier for $39. (good up to 1kg, approx 2,2 lbs.), or $45 (up to 2kg, approx 4,4 lbs.).

Zone1	Zone2	Zone3

Airmail / 1-2 bks:		11.00	16.00	20.50 USD

Airmail / up to 8-10 bks:	13.50	21.00	27.00 USD

Airmail / up to 16-20 bks:	21.50	34.50	41.00 USD

Registered / 1-2 bks:		17.50	22.60	28.80 USD

Registered / up to 8-10 bks:	23.50	32.50	43.00 USD

Return policy: I generally do not offer returns as it would be impractical cost-wise from here, but in the unfortunate case I missed something drastic (like a cut out page or ad) I will make sure to make you whole.

Thanks for looking! :)

Edited by vaillant

Lacht ihn tot! Ein tendenziöses Bilderbuch (1937)
    ("Laugh him dead! A tendentious picture book") by Waldl 

This cartoon book collects a series of satiric strips previously published on Das Schwarze Korps ("The Black Corps"), the official newspaper of the SS.
The targets of the (sometimes dark) humor are pretty varied, going from usual antisemitic themes to internal politics, Germany life at the time, anti-catholic satire targeting the clergy and religious orders…
There is even a strip making fun of  Hermann Göring.

Preface by Gunter d'Alquen, which was the chief editor of the newspaper, and commander of the SS-Standarte Kurt Eggers.

This is a decently kept copy with some wear and missing pieces to the cover (see picture). Insides have a pretty nice page quality.

Asking $230 / 210€ NOW $210

:news: SOLD via PM

j7hkG1W.jpg
D0JHYU7.jpg

m2ny9Zx.jpg
PFi0sd3.jpg
ciTLG48.jpg
More pictures in spoiler tags:

Spoiler

QyNd6GI.jpg
QwcaElS.jpg
KfEVBtm.jpg
EMqUbCI.jpg
o2n1aYN.jpg
H6bcKFi.jpg
UDrdpmx.jpg
MCkal99.jpg
2aa0NhP.jpg
xLn3ey2.jpg

Edited by vaillant
SOLD

Captain America Comics #1 (German edition, Marvel Deutschland, 1999)

This german edition was issued in 1999 by Marvel Deutschland as part of a pack of historical Timely books never before translated in German. As well known, the Swastika imagery was weirdly censored overall because of the current dispositions which prohibite the reproduction of it and other symbols associated with nazism outside of cultural/educational applications.

Beautiful copy in NM- condition.

Asking $50 / 46€

1lQMYKD.jpg
4aOkXqS.jpg

Le Téméraire No_18 (October 1, 1943) - Copy B

"Le Téméraire" was a famous "collaborationist" french comics journal published in Paris from January 1943 to August 1944. From January 1943 to the Liberation, it was the only magazine for young people distributed in the german occupied France.
Authors feartured include Erik (André René Jolly) with "Fulminate et Vorax", Francis Josse with "Marc le téméraire", Vica (Vincent Krassousky) with strips of his character Vica the sailor, and Auguste Liquois with "Vers les mondes inconnus” (a Flash Gordon inspired science fiction epic with racial overtones).

In issue 18, a Ku-Klux Klan feature becomes a means to express the anti-americanism of the collaborationist government. Author J. Savary teaches us that all the officers of the Klan were Freemasons, whose contributions gave rise to rebates and since the Klan dared to attack the Jews who control the American press, the latter, with the help of the 1934 elections, dealt the group a fatal blow.

This is a pretty scarce issue. I can take pictures of the other strips in the insides if you want. :)
Asking $60 / 55€ :news: SOLD to Xeno1997

Spoiler

c4GhCpZ.jpg
WTqJQmg.jpg

Edited by vaillant
SOLD

Le Téméraire No_20 (November 1, 1943)

Issue 20 of "Le Temeraire" offers the occasion for a diatribe against communism. In the article "Insectes contre hommes" by André Ramon communist societies are compared to the "hive mentality" of insects organizations. Cool "giant insects" cover.

Asking $30 / 28€ :news: SOLD to Xeno1997

Spoiler

vrIKM4H.jpg4KBQQkK.jpg

Edited by vaillant
SOLD

Timeless Topix (v3) #4 (Catechetical Guild, 1944)

This issue features the story "Hero of the Hills" (a biography of St. Benedict) whose opening panel represents the very first depiction in comics of the bombing of the Mount Cassino Abbey.

In nice VG+ shape or better.
Asking $65 / 59€ :news: NOW $55

YlIim2c.jpg
EIo51Aa.jpg
8fjrHKq.jpg
6VanDtA.jpg

Edited by vaillant
Price lowered

Il Topolino d’Oro No_31 (XXXI) (1973) - VF+
This issue collects the italian edition of the story "Mickey Mouse on a Secret Mission", which was published in Italy only after the war, in 1947, (for reasons that can be imagined) but with alterations and cuts. "Il Topolino d’oro" was the first attempt at an edition of Mickey’s strips trying to be "philological". Here the story is presented in a new translation and with a beautiful custom cover by Marco Rota.

Il Topolino d’Oro No_24 (XXIV) - VGFN
This issue includes  "Mickey Mouse outwits the Phantom Blot" with a beautiful custom cover by Marco Rota.

Both in large (magazine sized) landscape format.

$15 for the #31 :news: SOLD to sagii
$10 for the #24

RT12sBN.jpg
ex05N99.jpg

Spoiler

tNDFbW4.jpg
syqULWt.jpg

Edited by vaillant
#31 is SOLD

Key Comics #5 (Consolidated Magazines, 1945) - GD

The book presents very well although it has large spine splits, and bottom staple detached from cover.

Winter 1945. Book contains:

"The Key: The Case of the Three Keys!"
Here are three keys... two open the doors to death...only one leads to freedom… which one would you choose?

• " Dash"
 The intrepid boy adventurer, Dash, finds new thrills and excitement as he helps rescue his explorer father frdom the clutches of mongolian bandits...and still retains the legendary sword of Ghenghis Khan.

• "Eskey & Mo" by Burton Geller
• 
"Death Stakes the Claim" by Walter Johnson
After eliminating his fellow prospector, Timmy meets a similar fate.
• 
"Faust" by C. Gounod and H.C. Kiefer
A horror-suspense story. Faust trades his soul for youth and the love of a woman.

• "Will O' the Wisp" by Gerald Altman
• "John Quincy Atom" by Marv Lev
Out of the realm of electrons and protons steps this gay little character know (yes it should be known but it is mispelled in the book) as John Quincy Atom! His Atomic Powers are many-witness John Quincy as Cupid.
• "How To Be An Amateur G-Man" by Ken Bickley
Second page is called Clever Clues. Contain mini-mysteries to solve.
• "Tommy's Time Key" by Jim Tyer
When Tommy decides to change the curse of history--there isn't much anyone can do to stop him, so here we show you his idea of the capture of Fort Ticonderoga by the Green Mountain Boys under ethan Allen.

Walter Johnson "arab killer" cover.

Asking $130 / 120€ :news: NOW $100

zyEM2oD.jpg
jJy4QQ0.jpg

Edited by vaillant
Price lowered

Four Favorites #4 (Ace Comics, March 1942)

First Unknown Soldier in title.

Cover art by B. Currie. Untitled story; Unknown Soldier vs. Invisible Man (Prof. Amos Aries). Untitled story, pencils by Maurice Gutwirth; Magno vs. the Hook; Davey and Magno go in Magnos study. Untitled story, art by Red Holmdale; Lash Lightning (Robert Morgan) vs. the Were-Wolf (Adolph Krimetz). Untitled story starring The Raven, art by Red Holmdale. "Hemp Hellion" text story. "Luke and His Magic Flute" one-page story, art by Lou Paige. Untitled Mr. Whiskers (Jim Clay) story; A group of tourists are in danger of being abducted.

This would be a pretty nice copy, but the front cover got detached from the rest of the book (back cover is still attached as it can be seen in the pictures).
I would grade it as a Fair/FR+ or a VGFN (Qualified).
Books appears clean, with no restoration, quite supple paper and nice page quality. I will take more pictures if needed.

Hard to price.
How about $650 / 600€?
Paging @MustEatBrains which inquired time ago for this book.

YeiK3MX.jpg
GL1WCgm.jpg
R1WLxQk.jpg

Edited by vaillant
Price lowered

On 4/7/2022 at 4:35 PM, vaillant said:

Samurai postcard by Boccasile ("Postcard for the Armed Forces", 1942)

The "Samurai" postcard by the great illustrator Gino Boccasile, which could have easily been suitable as a comic book cover in the hypotetical case Japanese were doing comic book sized publications during the war… :-)

Circulated. Military Mail from the 16th division. Issued by the National Fascist Party, this one bears a stamp from October 5, 1942.

Asking 45$ / 39€

oZcKTZy.jpg
Z1EIn9b.jpg

:takeit:

On 4/7/2022 at 5:07 PM, vaillant said:

Il Topolino d’Oro No_31 (XXXI) (1973) - VF+
This issue collects the italian edition of the story "Mickey Mouse on a Secret Mission", which was published in Italy only after the war, in 1947, (for reasons that can be imagined) but with alterations and cuts. "Il Topolino d’oro" was the first attempt at an edition of Mickey’s strips trying to be "philological". Here the story is presented in a new translation and with a beautiful custom cover by Marco Rota.

Il Topolino d’Oro No_24 (XXIV) - VGFN
This issue includes  "Mickey Mouse outwits the Phantom Blot" with a beautiful custom cover by Marco Rota.

Both in large (magazine sized) landscape format.

Asking $25 / 22€ for both

(or $15 for the #31 and $10 for the #24)

RT12sBN.jpg
ex05N99.jpg
tNDFbW4.jpg
syqULWt.jpg

:takeit:#31 for $15

Robinson Anno I No_4 (May 13, 1945)
In about VGFN shape (hard to grade these journals).

Italian anthological comics journal which started about a year after the liberation of Rome.
It presents exclusively American comics as a result of the abolition of the ban on publishing foreign characters imposed by the fascist regime.

The first twelve issues contain characters from comics books dating back to 1938.
The journal stops its publication after a mere two years of life on 12 April 1947.
This is issue 4, featuring, among others, The Flame. Rare.

Asking $80 / 74€ :news: SOLD to MusterMark

JDBhmQe.jpg

eQw4MOM.jpg

Edited by vaillant
SOLD

The Beast is Dead! 2nd World War among the animals
    English edition of "La Bête est morte!" (both volumes) published in 1984 by Abi Mezer Productions in Israel.

Very nice shape, minor corner scuffing.

Asking $125 / 115€ :news: SOLD via PM
Or take both the two french original volumes and this English adaptation for $390 / 360€ shipped.

D4xlXBn.jpg

Edited by vaillant

On 4/8/2022 at 12:16 AM, Math Teacher said:

This is certainly an unusual selection of items!

Thanks! There will be more… The biggest hindrance is that comics journals are hard to show properly, unless doing a lot of pictures with decent lightning.
As a side note, on "L'Audace" you can already have a glimplse of the work of Kurt Caesar, a unique artist (german, but naturalized italian) which also acted as a translator and field artist in the Afrikacorps during the North African Campaign of World War II.
And if I find my few duplicates I will also show one of the very first black characters fighting nazist army soldiers during the war in France, by the great french author Pellos (René Pellarin).