• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to Ship CGC Graded Boxes?
2 2

9 posts in this topic

Need some help, please.  Looks like I'll be shipping 5-6 full CGC boxes of graded comics.  Any ideas on the best way to do this?  I would drive them, but it's just too far and would take 4 days.

I was thinking there are shipping companies that will come to your home and crate larger items.  I've used the service before for furniture, but not something fragile like comics.

Separating the comics into separate boxes or trying to wrap each box seems like a bad idea.

Any ideas?  I'm sure some of you do this all the time.  Not sure how dealers move their boxes to shows, but I assume some drive and some ship them dep[ending upon the distance.

Thank you!

V/R, Mike 

Through the mail?  Can I assume you're joking?  The plastic on plastic would be a nightmare if and when the box is dropped or handled roughly.  I could wrap each case but then I would have to ship even more boxes, and there really isn't any room with the tight fit of the graded comics in the boxes.

Last time I shipped a bunch of slabs was to MCS. I used foam board as layers between each slab and two layers around the outside of every side. Then similar layers as what CGC uses. Shipped from Florida to Texas via Fed Ex with no issues.  20211108_120043.thumb.jpg.8b43148431a4be2e915821c0d48d08fa.jpg

On 4/7/2022 at 6:20 PM, Tnexus said:

Why not just use the CGC boxes? Worst case just get another box and throw the CGC box in that.

Great advice here. I keep all my CGC return shipping boxes (more than 300 slabs in the last year). I have some clients who I reach out to right away once my graded comics are in and I reuse the CGC boxes they came in. Done this dozens of times and never an issue. Just pack tight and tape good. 

On 4/7/2022 at 11:56 PM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

Last time I shipped a bunch of slabs was to MCS. I used foam board as layers between each slab and two layers around the outside of every side. Then similar layers as what CGC uses. Shipped from Florida to Texas via Fed Ex with no issues.  20211108_120043.thumb.jpg.8b43148431a4be2e915821c0d48d08fa.jpg

Thank you, this looks doable.  Just going to be a pain.  Thank you!

On 4/8/2022 at 12:03 AM, CHASEnBLUE said:

Great advice here. I keep all my CGC return shipping boxes (more than 300 slabs in the last year). I have some clients who I reach out to right away once my graded comics are in and I reuse the CGC boxes they came in. Done this dozens of times and never an issue. Just pack tight and tape good. 

Yes, I have already used those CGC boxes over the years.  I think I'll end up packing about one-box load at a time, and make several trips to the mail place.

UPDATE:  I ended up shipping the full CGC boxes, with the graded comics, in medium Home Depot, heavy duty, double-walled boxes (21" x 16" x 15").  They worked great.  I was able to put packing peanuts under and around the boxes, plus ensure the comics were snug and safe inside the CGC boxes (each with plastic bag, paper to fill gaps, etc.).  Six boxes weighing just over 200 lbs...no damage, and cost well under half of what a freight company wanted to ship them.  Finding the Home Depot double-walled boxes was the game-changer for me!  Single-walled boxes are terrible, and likely would have burst open with the weight and pressure.

V/R, Mike

HD Boxes.jpg

Edited by mlovest