• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What Has Happened to this Hobby?
5 5

90 posts in this topic

On 4/19/2022 at 2:52 AM, John E. said:

“They have sown the seeds of discontent and turned us against each other: brother against sister, collector against dealer, housekeeper against auction house. For civil war outside of bidding war is the true motive behind their cabalic machinations.”

-Abraham Lincoln, A Treatise on the Escalation of Prices Affecting Original Comic Art and Fair Market Value (1867)

:roflmao: (worship)

On 4/17/2022 at 3:37 PM, pemart1966 said:

If one is spending 5 or 6 figures on OCA they're investing whether they know it or not.  Even if you consider yourself a collector, you're speculating that there's still upside to the piece that you are buying.  You don't drop that kind of bread and not weigh the financial risk to some degree. 

If you've been seeking a grail for more than 20 years and it now pops up there's a good chance, given today's prices, that it's unaffordable.

Yes and no. I you are throwing cash at these prices - yes. If you are trading up/over on what you have had for a long time - not necessarily. Cost basis is key IMO

Say what u will but personally I'm glad i no longer hear every 2nd person new to hobby exclaim they plan on collecting 70s Marvel Superhero covers. Most of them are priced out of the hobby on those.Of course so too am I :( Glad to have what i do have

Edited by MAR1979

On 4/16/2022 at 8:44 PM, Xatari said:

Everyone from every perspective will claim passion for truth. I just think in this case, make a decision and move on. If you want to buy from Heritage, cool. If not, cool.

I am also part of this community, consider myself a savvy collector, and have a totally different opinion.  If I felt strongly about a seller or auction house in a negative way, I’d simply just stop supporting them and move on. 

(Cough cough) Metro (cough)