• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How does rust happen in a CGC slab?
1 1

13 posts in this topic

Sorry if this topic has been answered before, but I tried searching the forums and cannot find a definitive answer.

I thought that there was an inner layer for a CGC slab that completely encapsulates the comic where air doesn't go in or out, so how would outside humidity affect an CGC slabbed book?

Ah thanks. Yeah I figured the case doesn't have UV coating, but I thought that the inner plastic envelop sealed the comic. I thought someone on youtube showed throwing a CGC slab in a bucket of water and the comic was fine.. but maybe it was because it wasn't in the bucket very long.

On 4/8/2022 at 2:54 PM, hermanenwang said:

Ah thanks. Yeah I figured the case doesn't have UV coating, but I thought that the inner plastic envelop sealed the comic. I thought someone on youtube showed throwing a CGC slab in a bucket of water and the comic was fine.. but maybe it was because it wasn't in the bucket very long.

Well, let's just say that not all slabs are created equal.

You're correct that the inner well is heat sealed, but not all slabbed comics have an inner well. And I'd never advise putting a slab in a bucket of water as a test---that could be an expensive mistake.

I'd venture to say that the newer slabs are much sturdier and seem to be more resistant to humidity, but it's still wise to follow all the proper storage conditions...  

Edited by The Lions Den

On 4/8/2022 at 12:06 PM, The Lions Den said:

Well, let's just say that not all slabs are created equal.

You're correct that the inner well is heat sealed, but not all slabbed comics have an inner well. And I'd never advise putting a slab in a bucket of water as a test---that could be an expensive mistake.

I'd venture to say that the newer slabs are much sturdier and seem to be more resistant to humidity, but it's still wise to follow all the proper storage conditions...  

Yep thanks! Better safe than tears later.

On 4/8/2022 at 4:17 AM, Mosh It Up said:

No, slabs are not airtight. Comics need to breathe or they will stew in their own juices.

Rust can happen:

On 4/8/2022 at 10:03 PM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

e705107d37ab30a93076d4c7d61933ec.gif.20571d7eeaa5f2e9e8da946efdf7cdfa.gif

Image result for stew gif

On 4/9/2022 at 1:59 AM, CHASEnBLUE said:
On 4/8/2022 at 6:17 AM, Mosh It Up said:

No, slabs are not airtight. Comics need to breathe or they will stew in their own juices.

Rust can happen:

On 4/9/2022 at 12:03 AM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

e705107d37ab30a93076d4c7d61933ec.gif.20571d7eeaa5f2e9e8da946efdf7cdfa.gif

On 4/9/2022 at 1:59 AM, CHASEnBLUE said:

Image result for stew gif

vZr12l.gif.173237e56b4085609a45687c4b6a6c4f.gif