• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Artist/Writer's compensation for Movie Characters
1 1

13 posts in this topic

I just read an article about America Chavez and the creator being sent a modest compensation from Marvel.
I guess my question is how much do they deserve or their families. Its such a slippery slope. After watching
Blade again today I saw Colan and Wolfman got credit in the movie, but I wonder how much they were
compensated. Wolfman I know sued claiming to be a contracted work for Marvel.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/america-chavez-co-creator-declines-202620019.html

On 4/8/2022 at 3:33 PM, fastballspecial said:

I just read an article about America Chavez and the creator being sent a modest compensation from Marvel.
I guess my question is how much do they deserve or their families. Its such a slippery slope. After watching
Blade again today I saw Colan and Wolfman got credit in the movie, but I wonder how much they were
compensated. Wolfman I know sued claiming to be a contracted work for Marvel.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/america-chavez-co-creator-declines-202620019.html

Jim Starlin had to buy his own ticket to Avengers. The creators from pre-2010 usually get 0 in royalties from any character used in a medium or merchandise other than a comic book. 

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2021/aug/09/marvel-and-dc-face-backlash-over-pay-they-sent-a-thank-you-note-and-5000-the-movie-made-1bn

They get compensated according to whatever was in their contract. 

If they engage positively like Rob Liefeld with hope but not expectation, they might get treated to a little extra.

On 4/8/2022 at 5:39 PM, Krydel4 said:

Jim Starlin had to buy his own ticket to Avengers. The creators from pre-2010 usually get 0 in royalties from any character used in a medium or merchandise other than a comic book. 

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2021/aug/09/marvel-and-dc-face-backlash-over-pay-they-sent-a-thank-you-note-and-5000-the-movie-made-1bn

Yes and he renegotiated this to get a larger fee. 

DC pays and Marvel does not, speaking generally.

DC can be vindictive in taking works out of print (Starman?) but pay for stuff like the batcycle apparently if it goes to tv or movies and pay well and without being asked. Or at least used to.

Marvel is more like, you did work for hire and now we like some of those characters and ideas, thank you! Starlin, Abnett/Lanning, Fraction, etc..

Edited by Bird

It's worth noting that Len Wein created Lucius Fox for DC and DC flew him to the Batman premiere and paid for him and his family to stay in a hotel.

Now, Lucius Fox is an established supporting character and was portrayed by Morgan Freeman. This was a nice gesture.

At Marvel, Len Wein created Wolverine... a somewhat more lucrative character for Marvel than Lucius Fox was for DC. Marvel did nothing. He eventually got to the premiere of the first solo Wolverine film because Hugh Jackman himself covered the expenses and invited him personally. All of this was documented by Wein himself.

As for people chiming in with "they get compensated by whatever was in the contract"- no s#*t. It's more a moral case than a legal one, even if Marvel's history is well established. As Casey says in that linked article, he doesn't expect respect from a corporation. But I think it's a good PR gesture to compensate creators, especially since they're now mining whatever characters they can to churn out more content. I saw a poster for Morbius that says a "new Marvel legend"- it's laughable that they're now to Morbius as a potential franchise but that's another discussion. Morbius who was a blatant theft to begin with.

Edited by wisbyron
forgot to add

On 4/9/2022 at 2:11 PM, Bird said:

Marvel is more like, you did work for hire and now we like some of those characters and ideas, thank you! Starlin, Abnett/Lanning, Fraction, etc..

Sounds like Disney.  Oh, that's right.......   doh!

It’s always going to be frustrating and sad for any of us that aren’t inflexible, ruthless, predatory cutthroats. Oil and water.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 4/9/2022 at 5:11 PM, Bird said:

DC pays and Marvel does not, speaking generally.

DC can be vindictive in taking works out of print (Starman?) but pay for stuff like the batcycle apparently if it goes to tv or movies and pay well and without being asked. Or at least used to.

Yeah, Marvel has a reputation of not giving a s^&* who created what, and DC seems to pay their respects with cash to some acceptable degree.

On 4/9/2022 at 7:36 PM, wisbyron said:

At Marvel, Len Wein created Wolverine... a somewhat more lucrative character for Marvel than Lucius Fox was for DC. Marvel did nothing. He eventually got to the premiere of the first solo Wolverine film because Hugh Jackman himself covered the expenses and invited him personally. All of this was documented by Wein himself.

Andy Olsen got even less

On 4/11/2022 at 12:35 PM, B2D327 said:

Andy Olsen got even less

Very valid, I brought him up in the Marvel Method group on Facebook. I didn't bring him up here just because that would be more context for all of the collectors decidedly not informed about this- Andy Olsen submitted an original character to FOOM as part of a contest- the character was an agent called 'Wolverine' that included a "bionic skeleton". Nine months later...

Roy Thomas also "created" Morbius after Vince Colletta brought original art he was inking for Kirby's DC books around the Marvel offices. Roy saw Kirby had a science-created albino skinned vampire called Count Dragorn and, a few months later...

The fan fiction theft of characters at Marvel kept rolling.