• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic Books Recommendations ?
4 4

19 posts in this topic

I reckon some issues of the IDW TMNT might have some potential. Don't quote me on that, just a feeling. 

Note: do not take my advice. It usually leads to disaster. 

On 4/10/2022 at 7:10 PM, Kosmo23 said:

any recommendations on what books too currently buy that you think will go up a lot in the near future?

There are plenty of Youtube channels and apps that try to "predict" or maybe even persuade the market. I would always say, if investing in comics, to buy books that have been desired for a long time. If people wanted the book 20-30 years ago, chances are they still do today and still will in the future.

You can play the "game" by trying to predict which cheap books will get expensive but that is a risky game. It also will come down to what you have to spend. Are you in the situation to drop $5000-10000 on a bigger book? Or are you looking to spend a couple hundred in hopes of a slight return in a few years?

I'd say just most of the high grade early Action or Detective series in high grade 8.0 or higher.  If you like Spidey more, any of the Amazing Spidermans under issue 30 in grade 9.0 or higher will probably go up in value over time.

On 4/10/2022 at 6:10 PM, Kosmo23 said:

any recommendations on what books too currently buy that you think will go up a lot in the near future?

You can't go wrong if you invest in a book that you like.

***Ultimate Fallout #4...but I think that ship has sailed

But a 9.8 something.

It's bound to go up. The price differential between that grade and grades just two below it is stupid crazy. 

Go all in on some key. 

Hi Kosmo, welcome to the boards. I have been blessed to have been born in a time where these big keys were just comics that you could use and abuse.  However I have been able to build an incredible collection over the 50 years I've been collecting. I always go for what I like, and not for the worth of any book. Dont get me wrong I love it when my books go up in value, but that is just a wonderful byproduct. Dont worry about the weekly hot comic it will cause you heartache. Buy what YOU want, not the shiny new book. 

My son is 16, the next generation of collector who will buy your comics in the future after he becomes a tiktok millionaire. He says to buy Archies and anything Spider-man. He is no longer into Tiny Titans, so avoid those. Same with Simpsons and Iron Man.

You may think I'm kidding on the Archies and Spidey. I'm not. Both are evergreen nostalgia, for any age.

Do you like comics? Do you read them or want to? I think you'll find that most people here with the best collections started out as readers and eventually started setting goals for themselves, and after awhile they ended up with something way more valuable than they imagined at first. I like complete runs of characters, so that's what I started with. Amazing Spider-Man and Avengers were the first two, and I was able to complete both of them before ASM absolutely exploded. But for me, it was completing a goal I had set 40 years ago that I never expected to try again. After I finished those titles, I started X-Men & FF, and added titles when I got to the point of needing only the most expensive books in each series (until I could find a deal). I haven't been reading them as much as collecting for the last few years, but have always been passionate about pursuing the books I want and keeping my collection organized and neat. And I still try to keep up with what is happening to my favorites even though I finally quit buying at all. The characters and the stories are the reason I have extensive knowledge about the Marvel (and DC to an extent) Universe. The thousands of them I've read over the years and the genuine love I have for comics is the only reason I know what I know. That's where my instincts come from, and what makes it hard to refer something to a non-reader or non-collector. What I know is only a by product of doing something I enjoyed immensely, so how can I teach that to somebody who doesn't?

On 4/12/2022 at 12:23 AM, innocuous said:

My son is 16, the next generation of collector who will buy your comics in the future after he becomes a tiktok millionaire. He says to buy Archies and anything Spider-man. He is no longer into Tiny Titans, so avoid those. Same with Simpsons and Iron Man.

You may think I'm kidding on the Archies and Spidey. I'm not. Both are evergreen nostalgia, for any age.

The Simpsons and Iron Man will live on forever :headbang: