• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why are Golden Age Batmans so Plentiful?

38 posts in this topic

Perhaps it has something to do with the fact that Batman started out as quarterly, then moved to 6 times a year, meaning each issue had a longer shelf life than any issue of Detective, which has always been monthly.

Yes, as Kakapo said, being a quartely may have had something to do with it. But still would mean an increased print run per issue to accomodate the demand.

It would be interesting to compare any known quarterly press run numbers to Batman.

I wish they were available, for other titles as well. Christo_pull_hair.gif

Perhaps it has something to do with the fact that Batman started out as quarterly, then moved to 6 times a year, meaning each issue had a longer shelf life than any issue of Detective, which has always been monthly.

Yes, as Kakapo said, being a quartely may have had something to do with it. But still would mean an increased print run per issue to accomodate the demand.

It would be interesting to compare any known quarterly press run numbers to Batman.

I wish they were available, for other titles as well. Christo_pull_hair.gif

Don't pretend to have an interest in such scholarly pursuits! We all know you for what you are: an Eerie #1 1947 Hoarder!

But with issue #6 they went bi-monthly. So the quarterly only works for the first 5 issues by my reckoning.

Or the fact that one would always buy Batman over Detective because you'd get 3x as much Batman? Batman should have far outsold Detective.

I agree with everyone, I had a lot easier time collecting Batman 1-50 than I did 51-100. Actually, I found 100-150 pretty easy. (LG copies)

Marc

Given that DC had reprinted Superman #1 twice in a short period to accomodate demand, and that Batman #1 seems even easier to find - is there a possibility that there were multiple printings of Batman #1? - being a quarterly there would have been plenty of time to respond to a sell-out.

I've often wondered if Batman appealed more to "collectors" during the GA, than Superman or Captain Marvel, who were evidently as popular with comic book "readers" at a time when most copies of a given title weren't conciously saved. When I was a kid in the early 70s and an adult who had been a child in the 1940s would find out about my comic collection - it always seemed to be a Batman collection "from the first issue" that they recalled having as a kid until inevitably Mom threw them out. Of course these recollections would likely be tainted by the growing recognition by the public at large that old comic books, especially first appearances had become valuable, and due to the recent success of the television show, Batman may have more readily come into mind

than other characters.

Just as Batman has had an enduring appeal among collectors for the last 40 years that seems broader than that for any other DC character, regardless of what title may be "hotter" at a given time, I think it is credible that it may have held a similar hold on those who "collected", and more likely saved their comics, during the 1940s when the Golden Age was unfolding on the newstand.

is there a possibility that there were multiple printings of Batman #1? - being a quarterly there would have been plenty of time to respond to a sell-out.

I've been wondering about that myself. The same source of the Supes #1 printing info also states that #2 went back to press, I believe. I've been curious if such multiple printings were less uncommon than we might think in those early days when the industry was first blossoming.

Given that DC had reprinted Superman #1 twice in a short period to accomodate demand, and that Batman #1 seems even easier to find - is there a possibility that there were multiple printings of Batman #1? - being a quarterly there would have been plenty of time to respond to a sell-out.

I've often wondered if Batman appealed more to "collectors" during the GA, than Superman or Captain Marvel, who were evidently as popular with comic book "readers" at a time when most copies of a given title weren't conciously saved. When I was a kid in the early 70s and an adult who had been a child in the 1940s would find out about my comic collection - it always seemed to be a Batman collection "from the first issue" that they recalled having as a kid until inevitably Mom threw them out. Of course these recollections would likely be tainted by the growing recognition by the public at large that old comic books, especially first appearances had become valuable, and due to the recent success of the television show, Batman may have more readily come into mind

than other characters.

Just as Batman has had an enduring appeal among collectors for the last 40 years that seems broader than that for any other DC character, regardless of what title may be "hotter" at a given time, I think it is credible that it may have held a similar hold on those who "collected", and more likely saved their comics, during the 1940s when the Golden Age was unfolding on the newstand.

Batman #1 had more than one printing. There is supposed to be a difference on the cover where the No .1 is but I have yet to see one that is different.

Batman is definitely the easiest GA title to complete but it took me almost 30 years to finish the run (collecting on a budget but I liked nice copies). Definitely the hardest issues to find start in the 60s (try finding a high grade 63!). Issues in the 70s are pretty tough. The 80s and 90s are only marginally easier to find and never in real high grade. The 88 that Metro has is one of the few really high grade books I have seen from that time period.

Batman is definitely the easiest GA title to complete but it took me almost 30 years to finish the run (collecting on a budget but I liked nice copies).

I've got almost everything from 200 on down...and a scattering of golden age issues...maybe I should give it a shot? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif I think I could actually knock out the run in 30 yrs! (Not sure I can say the same about the HG all-star dream.)

If was to go for a full run of a long-running title like Batman, I don't think I'd be a HG or bust kinda guy. With the later silver and bronze, i'd want at least a VF. Earlier than that, VG/F would be respectable for me...a strong VG for the pricey gold would be totally ok... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Batman #1 had more than one printing. There is supposed to be a difference on the cover where the No .1 is but I have yet to see one that is different.

I had thought I remembered a post in this forum about the "No. 1" on some copies having no period (like, "No 1"). But I didn't see any "No 1" copies with a quick glance through the Heritage archives.

I've got almost everything from 200 on down...and a scattering of golden age issues...maybe I should give it a shot? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif I think I could actually knock out the run in 30 yrs! (Not sure I can say the same about the HG all-star dream.)

B00004SPEH.01-AVNF7U7GN6VQJ.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Waffling are we? 893naughty-thumb.gif Where's your commitment?

B00004SPEH.01-AVNF7U7GN6VQJ.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Waffling are we? 893naughty-thumb.gif Where's your commitment?

27_laughing.gif Nah, not waffling, just mutttering aloud. I'm not giving up on the All-Stars, just bitter that I haven't been able to pick one up in little while now. wink.gif

I went through similar periods on Batman. I would hit dry spots where I would go for a year without picking something up. Good luck with the All-Star run. I considered it since All-Star has some classic covers, but I decided to try and finish the Detective run. I am now slowly picking up clean copies as I find them. I fugure should have it done in about 30 years!

I went through similar periods on Batman. I would hit dry spots where I would go for a year without picking something up. Good luck with the All-Star run. I considered it since All-Star has some classic covers, but I decided to try and finish the Detective run. I am now slowly picking up clean copies as I find them. I fugure should have it done in about 30 years!

Budget aside (and boy do I empathize), do you think those dry spots were in large part due to collecting before the advent of the internet? It seems to me, nowadays, thanks to ebay, heritage, online retailers, etc....that collecting a full run of a title as prolific as Batman would be a whole lot easier now than it would have been in the eighties. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

It seems to me, nowadays, thanks to ebay, heritage, online retailers, etc....that collecting a full run of a title as prolific as Batman would be a whole lot easier now than it would have been in the eighties. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Yes, but on the downside for the collector these venues have also increased the number of potential buyers for a given book.

They were definitely pre-ebay, although as the number of issues I needed went down, the more picky I became so it took longer to track stuff down. Now I try to stay in the 7.0 range (pre issue 30) with 8.0 my sweet spot. I think if you have unlimited funds, you could put together a reasonable run in a year.

They were definitely pre-ebay, although as the number of issues I needed went down, the more picky I became so it took longer to track stuff down. Now I try to stay in the 7.0 range (pre issue 30) with 8.0 my sweet spot. I think if you have unlimited funds, you could put together a reasonable run in a year.

Wow! Sounds like your run is amazing. Is your #1 unrestored?

Unfortunitely not.

You can see the before and after on Tracey Hefts web site.

His site

Go to the Project Archive and then select Batman 1.

I had him remove the tape from the spine remove the ink from the back cover and touch up the B. The tape is what really bothered me. I was afraid the spine would degrade over time.